Ohio votes vote to preserve abortion rights

Started by Hydra009, November 08, 2023, 02:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Linky

QuoteVoters in the conservative state of Ohio approved two ballot measures. The first will enshrine the right to reproductive care, including access to abortion, in the state constitution. The second will legalize recreational marijuana use. Both amendments required 50% thresholds after voters rejected a measure this year to raise the threshold.

Newsmax (ever the credible G.O.P. outlet - Gone Outrageously Pitiful) had this lulzy hot take:

https://i.imgur.com/E00QqNs.mp4

"Sexy" things like abortion and marijuana drew out young people and that's what did in the G.O.P.

So...naturally, I have a few questions.  Who made abortion a big political issue and what rationale did they use and is this in keeping with a secular democracy?  Who made marijuana a huge political issue back in the 70s and 80s and then has barely budged since then?  Why is the GOP so out of step with America on these issues to the point that if they're even part of a ballot, it's terrible news for them?  Why are young Americans in particular not in line with GOP orthodoxy?  Why is the GOP afraid of democracy?  Is the GOP going to learn anything from this or change in any way?

Unbeliever

I think the GOP is afraid of democracy because they know they won't be able to continue as a viable political party much longer if America continues to have democracy.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Seen elsewhere: "None of the aborted babies voted in that election!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on November 08, 2023, 01:39:15 PMSeen elsewhere: "None of the aborted babies voted in that election!"
I've heard that retort before.  Though I have noticed that it's selectively employed - against abortion but not against police brutality and certainly not against school shootings.  This tells me that they aren't serious about voting on behalf of the dead.

Though they do seem disturbingly insistent on voting based on what they imagine Jesus would support or what they imagine the Founders would support - all while purging voter rolls, of course.  I suppose they're just barely self-aware enough to know that their views aren't popular and therefore deploy a variety of tactics to get their way regardless.  We saw that on January 6th.

I don't like to get in the nitty gritty of abortion or abortion rights.  I couldn't tell you at exactly what point a clump of cells becomes a human being.  But I can say for sure that women will die without access to abortion.  There's nothing ambiguous about that.  Hell, maybe someone you know.  And either you have a moral system in place where that isn't acceptable or you don't.  While the whole topic is complex, that much is really very simple.  So people who vote for death (on this and many other topics) don't get to lecture me about how all life is sacred.

Gawdzilla Sama

Abortion was more important when brides came with dowries. Or camels. Or Nigerian dwarf goats.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

The Bible says that Adam didn't become a living soul until God breathed into him the breath of life.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 09, 2023, 08:13:51 PMThe Bible says that Adam didn't become a living soul until God breathed into him the breath of life.

There's a recipe for mice: Take a bunch of cheese cloths and hide them in a dark corner of a closet. Come back in a week and the cloths will have become mice.

Neither your story nor mine is true.
PZ Myers

ferdmonger

Dark Lightning

Now all that needs to happen is to elect people to their administration who will enforce this, because the current bunch of jamokes are saying they won't.