What is up with Merrick Garland?

Started by Mike Cl, February 24, 2023, 08:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Merrick Garland Should Treat Donald Trump Like Everyone Else

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/us-law-week/merrick-garland-should-treat-donald-trump-like-everyone-else

I am totally stumped with his inactions toward Trump.  I am beginning to think he is controlled, somehow by the orange monster.  Biden is also content in letting Merrick do nothing.  Actually, he is making a statement loud and clear--Trump can do as trump pleases.  He is totally above the law.  what gives?  Anybody have any insights????
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Dark Lightning

Well. Biden is under investigation for leaving classified docs lying around, as well. As for the chump, other countries have tried and convicted former presidents, and we shouldn't consider not trying that treasonous sack of feces.

Hydra009

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 24, 2023, 10:32:52 PMWell. Biden is under investigation for leaving classified docs lying around, as well.
That is true, but the circumstances and intent are so wildly different that it's like saying that two people are both litterers when one tried to toss a bottle into the recycling bin and missed and the other backed a truck full of toxic waste into a lake and set it on fire.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 24, 2023, 11:14:10 PMThat is true, but the circumstances and intent are so wildly different that it's like saying that two people are both litterers when one tried to toss a bottle into the recycling bin and missed and the other backed a truck full of toxic waste into a lake and set it on fire.

Returning those documents was literally part of his job description, so I cant cut him too much slack - strictly from an employer's perspective, it is unacceptable behavior.

However, given the severity of the situation, as one of Biden's millions of employers I am also willing to turn a blind eye to some of it as long as he continues to cooperate with the authorities and get it sorted out; we have bigger issues to worry about right now - like keeping the 'company' intact.

But again - it is ultimately unacceptable behavior and the minute things return to normal this needs to thoroughly investigated for all living presidents and laws passed and safe-guards implemented to make sure this doesn't happen again; that it has happened under multiple administration is utter lunacy in this world on a knife's edge - they are treating this like a game.

But something tells me I shouldn't hold my breath on anyone who is anyone noticing this...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Dark Lightning

I believe that we are pretty much in agreement on the issue of not taking proper care of classified material. We had some people clean out an office (civilian contractor) and they threw a bunch of classified information into a plain old dumpster. Fortunately, it was discovered by another employee and the documents were recovered. Those employees lost their security clearances, but because they were "hapless"- my word, they didn't get fired or go to jail. What the chump did is so far above and beyond that, or what Biden supposedly did, deserves severe punishment. Finding out that you have classified where it doesn't belong, and notifying the appropriate people is the right thing to do. Stonewalling like the chump did (even though the claim now is now being made that he didn't actually take the stuff- I don't believe that!) is a whole different can of worms.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Shiranu on February 24, 2023, 11:46:12 PMReturning those documents was literally part of his job description, so I cant cut him too much slack - strictly from an employer's perspective, it is unacceptable behavior.

However, given the severity of the situation, as one of Biden's millions of employers I am also willing to turn a blind eye to some of it as long as he continues to cooperate with the authorities and get it sorted out; we have bigger issues to worry about right now - like keeping the 'company' intact.

But again - it is ultimately unacceptable behavior and the minute things return to normal this needs to thoroughly investigated for all living presidents and laws passed and safe-guards implemented to make sure this doesn't happen again; that it has happened under multiple administration is utter lunacy in this world on a knife's edge - they are treating this like a game.

But something tells me I shouldn't hold my breath on anyone who is anyone noticing this...

You know, i don't disagree with you.
But on the other hand:those documents were there for years and years. Shouldn't the organisation they belonged to have been: 'hey, where is the file on that moonlanding we faked?', by now?
Biden had a mayor oversight. Inexcusable.
But y'all have a deeper rooted problem in this. The organisations that part with classified intel should be able to know what is missing and be on top of their game in claiming it back.

If trump hadn't bragged about his korean love letters, this scandal might never have broken at all.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

I am referring to much, much more than classified documents.  I would be willing to bet than trump broke at least one law for every day he spent in office.  And that does not count the thousands of times he broke laws since the day he went into 'business'.  Merrick has been doing nothing about any of trumps broken laws, and he has had well over 2 years to do so.  His inactivity has allowed trump to skate on all of his lawlessness which gives trump and his actions a sort of approval for those actions.  Merrick has given a press conference about Jackson, Miss. water and how that must be fixed--but nary a word about trump and his lawlessness.  I am beginning to regard Merrick as a traitor to this country. 

As for the classified material, trumps mishandling to much, much worse than Biden's.  The DOJ asked trump and his lawyers for all the classified documents several times and they are still finding stuff trump has hidden.  The upshot of all this is that the system for handling classified documents is broken.  It needs to be fixed.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Dark Lightning

I pretty much agree here, except the system isn't broken. The chump just flouted it as is his wont with many things. People have to honor the system. If they don't they are criminals. I'd say we wait and see, with prosecuting the chump.

Shiranu

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 25, 2023, 03:55:56 AMYou know, i don't disagree with you.
But on the other hand:those documents were there for years and years. Shouldn't the organisation they belonged to have been: 'hey, where is the file on that moonlanding we faked?', by now?
Biden had a mayor oversight. Inexcusable.
But y'all have a deeper rooted problem in this. The organisations that part with classified intel should be able to know what is missing and be on top of their game in claiming it back.

If trump hadn't bragged about his korean love letters, this scandal might never have broken at all.

Definitely, I don't put *too* much blame on Biden because it's the entire system that needs fixing and focusing on him is just political games - but he has been part of that system for like... half a century as well... so it's not entirely unwarranted.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

QuoteMerrick has been doing nothing about any of trumps broken laws, and he has had well over 2 years to do so.

Optimistically, I legitimately think he is scared that it will get him/his family killed or worse start a civil war.

Cynically, I legitimately also think his bank accounts need to be thoroughly checked by a team of not just American but also Eastern Europeans for a few extra zeros that might have mysteriously appeared in it.

SGOS

I've wondered why Merrick is being such a pussy cat too.  My sense is that he is afraid of something, although I don't know what that would be.  Maybe finding Trump guilty of anything would cause another violent attack on the Capitol by Trump supporters.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on March 08, 2023, 08:20:40 AMI've wondered why Merrick is being such a pussy cat too.  My sense is that he is afraid of something, although I don't know what that would be.  Maybe finding Trump guilty of anything would cause another violent attack on the Capitol by Trump supporters.
I wonder what he is afraid of too.  With his silence he is condoning all that trump has done and will do.  And that encourages more violence, I'm afraid.  If trump loses the 2024 election, it will be widespread riots and violence.  Jan 6 will look like the warmup.

Luther Martini

I wish for a speedy indictment.  We must hold trump accountable for breaking the law, and if people are going to riot because of it, let them also face the legal consequences for their actions.

Shiranu

I guess even more optimistically, I could understand if it's a situation of they are trying to see just how deep the rot goes; everyone knows the obvious corrupt actors, but who is pulling their strings exactly?

Mr.Obvious

"Imagine how it would look to the rest of the world if a former U.S. president got convicted?"

Imagine how it would look if he doesn't.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.