Indifference has killed the USPoll: Half of Americans now predict U.S. may 'ceas

Started by Mike Cl, June 15, 2022, 10:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Poll: Half of Americans now predict U.S. may 'cease to be a democracy' someday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/poll-half-of-americans-now-predict-us-may-cease-to-be-a-democracy-someday-090028564.html

A new Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows that most Democrats (55%) and Republicans (53%) now believe it is "likely" that America will "cease to be a democracy in the future" — a stunning expression of bipartisan despair about the direction of the country.

In fact, the new survey of 1,541 U.S. adults — which was conducted from June 10 (the day after the committee's first hearing) to June 13 (the day of its second) — found that fewer than 1 in 4 (24%) say they watched last Thursday's initial primetime broadcast live. Only slightly more (27%) say they caught news coverage later. Nearly half (49%) say they did not follow the hearings at all.

"So while the data indicates that many Americans seem to be losing faith in the future of U.S. democracy, relatively few seem interested in reckoning with a real-life attempt to undermine it. That raises a disturbing question: Have Americans simply given up on democracy?"

"The poll doesn't go quite that far. But it does suggest that Americans have largely given up on each other."

Stick a fork in us, we are done!  But few care!  We have grown stupid and could care less.  We won WWII--yet Hitler and his govt. has won!!! And I still don't understand how and why we are at this point. 

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

PopeyesPappy

I'm probably just getting cynical in my old age, but I am convinced most people are too stupid for a democracy to work long term. A benevolent dictatorship is the way to go.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.


Shiranu

Democracy requires hard work, civic minded responsibility, and education - something we as a society have both collectively decided we are not interested in as well as something our government has taken intentional steps to prevent it's people from having.

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." —John Adams
Every day is a good day to *remove from server* an autocrat.

Mike Cl

Benevolent rulership in some form is the best way to go.  The tricky part is the 'benevolent' part.

John Adams nailed it--we are in the suicide phase, it seems to be.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

ferdmonger

But it has lasted this long.  Peaceful transfer of power for over 200 years -  sabotaged by a single man.

Trump is a simplistic prick that managed to taint our democracy.

Or in the words of Rex Tillerson:  "The man is a fucking moron."

Dark Lightning

Yes, but the problem is that he has a lot of followers, and, sad to say, some of them in the gov managed to get a few Supreme Court "Justices" nominated and approved, who have a political agenda.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 15, 2022, 10:35:24 AM"So while the data indicates that many Americans seem to be losing faith in the future of U.S. democracy, relatively few seem interested in reckoning with a real-life attempt to undermine it. That raises a disturbing question: Have Americans simply given up on democracy?"

I don't know that I have "given up on democracy" but I recognize there are systemic problems with our society, not merely our government, that have no easy solutions. The people who believe in simplistic solutions to highly complex problems are vulnerable to all kinds of propaganda and emotional appeals.

Shiranu

Quote from: ferdmonger on June 26, 2022, 10:33:58 PMBut it has lasted this long.  Peaceful transfer of power for over 200 years -  sabotaged by a single man.

Trump is a simplistic prick that managed to taint our democracy.

Or in the words of Rex Tillerson:  "The man is a fucking moron."
To give the piece of shit far more defense than he deserves, our democracy was tainted from the beginning - and unfortunately the people who fought so hard to make it better have died off and the worst of the worst have been collecting power the entire time.

Add on top of that global problems (that the worst contributed most to) now means the average person has woken up enough to be pissed off... but are still sedated enough to hate who they are told to, to not take out their anger on the people who hurt them but the people they are told do.

Trump didn't cause this, he just stripped naked and dived straight in.
Every day is a good day to *remove from server* an autocrat.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 15, 2022, 10:35:24 AMPoll: Half of Americans now predict U.S. may 'cease to be a democracy' someday.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/poll-half-of-americans-now-predict-us-may-cease-to-be-a-democracy-someday-090028564.html

A new Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows that most Democrats (55%) and Republicans (53%) now believe it is "likely" that America will "cease to be a democracy in the future" — a stunning expression of bipartisan despair about the direction of the country.

In fact, the new survey of 1,541 U.S. adults — which was conducted from June 10 (the day after the committee's first hearing) to June 13 (the day of its second) — found that fewer than 1 in 4 (24%) say they watched last Thursday's initial primetime broadcast live. Only slightly more (27%) say they caught news coverage later. Nearly half (49%) say they did not follow the hearings at all.

"So while the data indicates that many Americans seem to be losing faith in the future of U.S. democracy, relatively few seem interested in reckoning with a real-life attempt to undermine it. That raises a disturbing question: Have Americans simply given up on democracy?"

"The poll doesn't go quite that far. But it does suggest that Americans have largely given up on each other."

Stick a fork in us, we are done!  But few care!  We have grown stupid and could care less.  We won WWII--yet Hitler and his govt. has won!!! And I still don't understand how and why we are at this point. 



Democrats and Republicans may agree that Democracy is dying, but it's for entirely different reasons. Republicans think that because they're braindead enough to believe the last Presidential election was actually stolen. Democrats believe Democracy is dying because two Supreme Court seats were stolen by Republicans, and they're using that power to turn America into even more of a theocracy than it already was. As well as because Trump committed treason, with zero consequences, and that many would still vote for him anyway. Oh, and Republicans continue to restrict voting rights, making it harder to vote them out.

Give it a few years, and Republicans will continue to grow bolder, taking more and more rights away. They failed to steal power on January 6th, but they'll try it again, and likely with more success. I foresee no way for this to end well for us. America is broken.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville