News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is JFK actually alive???

Started by Mike Cl, January 18, 2022, 10:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 22, 2022, 06:31:35 PM
... that he is technically still President just because he didn't personally step down,...
He didn't run in the 1964 Election. We elected a president who legally took office. If we had to wait for someone to step down we'd have T-rump hiding in Venezuela or somewhere.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

ferdmonger

These folks are nuts, yet somehow function in society.  That's the scary part.

Cassia

Quote from: ferdmonger on February 05, 2022, 09:29:57 PM
These folks are nuts, yet somehow function in society.  That's the scary part.
Yes, this illustrates how relatively easy life has become compared to previous centuries and generations. As we spiral down as the daily temperatures rise, these people will begin slipping away.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Cassia on February 05, 2022, 10:39:25 PM
Yes, this illustrates how relatively easy life has become compared to previous centuries and generations. As we spiral down as the daily temperatures rise, these people will begin slipping away.

Indeed. I'd like to think that the human race is more mature, in some way, from crazy things like the Inquisition or the Holocaust. But the truth is, we aren't all that evolved from the people who developed geometry, so many Millenia ago. It takes an enlightened, liberal education for homo sap to thrive. Without that, all kinds of shit can happen. My personal estimation is that an enlightened, liberal education is going to be hard to come by for some non-trivial number of millennia. The fewer the better, though.

Shiranu

Or just start running for office :I
Every day is a good day to *remove from server* an autocrat.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Cassia on January 18, 2022, 12:26:06 PM
I spent an hour reading...
https://www.reddit.com/r/QAnonCasualties/

Rational people with Q in the family go thru hell and usually the best outcome is to just consider them dead, no contact. The Qultists are almost always religious and less educated, but not always. The reality of a deadly pandemic and the racial balance shifts are too much for them and so they were primed and ripe for mass delusions peddlers.

Somehow I've missed this. Oooof.
"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are good people and bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides." Havelock Vetinari

Hydra009

#36
Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 05, 2022, 11:16:37 PM
Indeed. I'd like to think that the human race is more mature, in some way, from crazy things like the Inquisition or the Holocaust. But the truth is, we aren't all that evolved from the people who developed geometry, so many Millenia ago. It takes an enlightened, liberal education for homo sap to thrive. Without that, all kinds of shit can happen. My personal estimation is that an enlightened, liberal education is going to be hard to come by for some non-trivial number of millennia. The fewer the better, though.
Let's say that one country or another (rhymes with erica) starts slipping and goes on the decline.  Well, there are plenty of countries that would keep democracy and progress going.  And sooner or later, they would take the reins and the declining countries could either get left behind forever or could get serious about reform and start gaining ground again.  So it not necessarily a permanent global downward spiral.  More like a local, reversible decline (though it gets harder to reverse the further down that path you go)

SGOS

Quote from: Dark Lightning on February 05, 2022, 11:16:37 PM
Indeed. I'd like to think that the human race is more mature, in some way, from crazy things like the Inquisition or the Holocaust. But the truth is, we aren't all that evolved from the people who developed geometry, so many Millenia ago. It takes an enlightened, liberal education for homo sap to thrive. Without that, all kinds of shit can happen. My personal estimation is that an enlightened, liberal education is going to be hard to come by for some non-trivial number of millennia. The fewer the better, though.
Mankind's scientific progress and expanding knowledge base really does separate us from the other apes, and mankind pats itself on the back, but this progress is due to a very small percentage of the population, actually fractions of one percent.  By and large, the vast majority of humanity takes credit for this while sitting on it's collective ass and doing nothing to forward our progress.  For every Issac Newton there is a Stalin, Trump, or collection of internet trolls.