How advanced iÅŸ the latest/current technology?

Started by SoldierofFortune, May 09, 2021, 02:12:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierofFortune

I do not talk about what is made known publicly, instead I want to learn how far they have gone, in their monopolistic area of science and technology. I may not understand but give me some rough idea.

Please dont claim the Iphone 12 as the most advanced :d

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

You can buy vacuum tube audio amplifiers with LED lights now.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

Even though vacuum tubes are no longer used, I still can't understand how they work.  It was like screwing a bunch of light bulbs into a socket strip and expecting something special to happen.

Gawdzilla Sama

They were switching units IIRC.

"The basic working principle of a vacuum tube is a phenomenon called thermionic emission. It works like this: you heat up a metal, and the thermal energy knocks some electrons loose. ... When the cathode is heated, and a positive voltage is applied to the anode, electrons can flow from the cathode to the anode. Jan 18, 2018"

https://www.engineering.com/story/vacuum-tubes-the-world-before-transistors#:~:text=The%20basic%20working%20principle%20of,energy%20knocks%20some%20electrons%20loose.&text=When%20the%20cathode%20is%20heated%2C%20and%20a%20positive%20voltage%20is,the%20cathode%20to%20the%20anode.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

aitm

Even though we are told we cannot transport things through space, we have in fact done it.....I saw it on TV.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on May 11, 2021, 08:46:01 AM
Even though we are told we cannot transport things through space, we have in fact done it.....I saw it on TV.
There's a quip in Bill Bryson's, A Short History of Nearly Everything, that goes, "The next time you complain about nothing to watch on TV, turn to one of the channels that isn't broadcasting anything and watch those little jittery dots for awhile.  You will be watching the back ground microwave radiation left over from the Big Bang.  What we call the "snow" on a blank TV screen has traveled 13.7 billion light years through space to bring you the moment of creation.

He takes longer to explain, but most people here don't need that.  I added the part about 13.7 billion light years.  I don't know if all of it comes from that far away.  I just assumed that, because it makes me feel smart.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Current technology?  Let me tell you.   It is more advanced than yesterday, but not as advanced as it will be tomorrow.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on May 11, 2021, 09:46:21 AMHe takes longer to explain, but most people here don't need that.  I added the part about 13.7 billion light years.  I don't know if all of it comes from that far away.  I just assumed that, because it makes me feel smart.
Looking further away = looking back further in time.  So it is indeed from that far away.