News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The thing about T-Rex

Started by Cassia, April 27, 2021, 07:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassia

They could look you in the eye with those forward facing eyes. They were dealing with heavily armored dinos with deadly spiked and clubbed weapons during the Late Cretaceous Period (67-65 million years ago). They had depth perception. T-Rex's teeth were for stabbing, crushing and tearing with a sideways motion.

Rewind about 100 million years to the late Jurassic period and you have the Allosaurus and a little later the Giganotosaurus who may have even been larger that T-Rex but lighter in build. Their eyes are more set on the side. They had those big long-necked dinos to deal with and thus they have slicing teeth like sharks.

I bet the battles were still epic

but a T-rex going against an Ankylosaurus...wow

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cassia on April 27, 2021, 07:51:16 PM
They could look you in the eye with those forward facing eyes. They were dealing with heavily armored dinos with deadly spiked and clubbed weapons during the Late Cretaceous Period (67-65 million years ago). They had depth perception. T-Rex's teeth were for stabbing, crushing and tearing with a sideways motion.

Rewind about 100 million years to the late Jurassic period and you have the Allosaurus and a little later the Giganotosaurus who may have even been larger that T-Rex but lighter in build. Their eyes are more set on the side. They had those big long-necked dinos to deal with and thus they have slicing teeth like sharks.

I bet the battles were still epic

but a T-rex going against an Ankylosaurus...wow

I bet it was hard for the ancient people to stay away from those guys!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

They also likely had an efficient, rhythmic gait (it's almost hypnotic! )

While they likely weren't super fast (sprinting at <25 mph, normal walking at <11 mph), they could pivot quickly and absolutely could devour weakened or slowed prey, and it's possible they even hunted in small packs.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 27, 2021, 08:05:10 PMI bet it was hard for the ancient people to stay away from those guys!!
Fred Flintstone definitely doesn't want to be locked out of the house when one of those maw-with-legs is in the area!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 27, 2021, 08:11:51 PM
Fred Flintstone definitely doesn't want to be locked out of the house when one of those maw-with-legs is in the area!
Barney, either. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

With 30 foot crocs down in the river; just going for a drink could have resulted in a wicked scrap.

Blackleaf

Contrary to what Jurassic Park taught us, the T-Rex had exceptional eyesight. It had better eyesight than an eagle, with those massive eyeballs and forward facing eyes. If I'm not mistaken, they were around when the meteor knocked out most life on Earth at the end of the Cretaceous Period, so I wonder how different things would have been if that meteor had missed us. Would something like the T-Rex still be around today, or were they going to go extinct anyway? It's interesting that life in general got smaller since then.

Oh, also be grateful the running crocodiles didn't survive. Its hooved feet allowed it to chase after prey rather than wait for it to come to them. In periods following great extinction events, surviving species find themselves competing with themselves, so they diversify to try to find a vacant niche to fill. This was the result.

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

I like to think of T-Rex as well intended, but misunderstood.

SGOS

In the midst of all the terror and chaos, the rest of the dinosaurs thundered along living full lives while consuming the Earths resources with no regard for anyone but themselves.  I don't want to hear people complain about T Rex.  It's not fair.

Gawdzilla Sama

Piles of coprolites the size of VW minibuses. Imagine the smell...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 28, 2021, 11:26:45 AM
Piles of coprolites the size of VW minibuses. Imagine the smell...
It would be heaven... if you were a bloodhound.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 28, 2021, 11:40:59 AM
It would be heaven... if you were a bloodhound.
Any sensory overload can become tedious.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 28, 2021, 11:44:26 AM
Any sensory overload can become tedious.
I'm not sure this is true of bloodhounds.