Three things people get wrong about evangelicals

Started by GSOgymrat, February 12, 2021, 03:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulcan

Quote from: GSOgymrat on February 12, 2021, 03:02:25 PM

Misunderstanding 1: Evangelicals are anti-LGBTQ

Misunderstanding 2: Evangelicals are anti-science

Misunderstanding 3: Evangelicals are notoriously pro-life but have little regard for life after birth.

The sad thing is, these are "understandings" not "misunderstandings."

They don't apply universally to every evangelical ever, but each are demonstrably true of many evangelicals.

OrangeDon

Wow.  I don't even know where to start with a statement/post like this one...
"Evangelicals are anti-LGBTQ" -- please stop trying to sell that, because nobody's buying that.  I'm a 57yo man.  It wasn't even LEGAL for me to marry the adult man whom I deeply love until I was 50!  Why?  CHRISTIANITY and its centuries-long hatred for gays.  Period.  And there are still more than enough churches in the US alone who still espouse their hate, who still try to smack down marriage equality, who still ban gay weddings, who still denigrate and ostracize gays...  Give me a break.  I can't even imagine how you can say that without your mouth catching on fire...
"Evangelicals are anti-science" - really?  Ever heard of the debacle called Creationism?  A "discipline" (if you can call it that) that was created with the SOLE INTENT to try and prostitute science to prove the Bible is valid.  In all its time, Creationism has given mankind NOTHING - no new science, no new discoveries, no new technology, no new advancements, NOTHING.  After centuries of exiling or killing any scientist (and their families) that made observations about the natural world which happened to contradict the Bible, you try to say you're not anti-science?  Parents all across this country keep their kids out of regular schools just to keep them from learning real science!
"Evangelicals are notoriously pro-life but have little regard for life after birth."  1. Over 75% of the abortions in the US are obtained by Christians & Catholic women.  But Christians don't care about the "mess" in their own house, this is about pointing the finger of blame outward and crusading against other people. 2.  You scream about saving embryos because you claim they have a soul.  So, what about the millions upon millions of embryos that are cryogenically frozen right now for later use?  Not a peep from you there - all those "frozen souls" tucked away, frozen, many for years upon years.  WHY?  Because Christians utilize frozen embryos, too.  So, they have to protect their double standard!  3. By the way, you all demand that these unwanted pregnancies go to term, yet once that happens, none of you are to be found anywhere...  Tens of thousand of children all over the US without families, and where are all of you?  <crickets> Exactly what we expect.  Nothing from you there.  All hat and no cattle.
Honestly, this  is one of the most disingenuous, vacant posts I've read in a long time.  You pretend that there is no past; you pretend what's happening now isn't happening.  It's offensive.

Mike Cl

Quote from: OrangeDon on April 08, 2021, 09:06:14 AM
Wow.  I don't even know where to start with a statement/post like this one...
"Evangelicals are anti-LGBTQ" -- please stop trying to sell that, because nobody's buying that.  I'm a 57yo man.  It wasn't even LEGAL for me to marry the adult man whom I deeply love until I was 50!  Why?  CHRISTIANITY and its centuries-long hatred for gays.  Period.  And there are still more than enough churches in the US alone who still espouse their hate, who still try to smack down marriage equality, who still ban gay weddings, who still denigrate and ostracize gays...  Give me a break.  I can't even imagine how you can say that without your mouth catching on fire...
"Evangelicals are anti-science" - really?  Ever heard of the debacle called Creationism?  A "discipline" (if you can call it that) that was created with the SOLE INTENT to try and prostitute science to prove the Bible is valid.  In all its time, Creationism has given mankind NOTHING - no new science, no new discoveries, no new technology, no new advancements, NOTHING.  After centuries of exiling or killing any scientist (and their families) that made observations about the natural world which happened to contradict the Bible, you try to say you're not anti-science?  Parents all across this country keep their kids out of regular schools just to keep them from learning real science!
"Evangelicals are notoriously pro-life but have little regard for life after birth."  1. Over 75% of the abortions in the US are obtained by Christians & Catholic women.  But Christians don't care about the "mess" in their own house, this is about pointing the finger of blame outward and crusading against other people. 2.  You scream about saving embryos because you claim they have a soul.  So, what about the millions upon millions of embryos that are cryogenically frozen right now for later use?  Not a peep from you there - all those "frozen souls" tucked away, frozen, many for years upon years.  WHY?  Because Christians utilize frozen embryos, too.  So, they have to protect their double standard!  3. By the way, you all demand that these unwanted pregnancies go to term, yet once that happens, none of you are to be found anywhere...  Tens of thousand of children all over the US without families, and where are all of you?  <crickets> Exactly what we expect.  Nothing from you there.  All hat and no cattle.
Honestly, this  is one of the most disingenuous, vacant posts I've read in a long time.  You pretend that there is no past; you pretend what's happening now isn't happening.  It's offensive.
I find your avatar highly offensive--if it reflects any of your 'values', that means you don't have any.  I suspect all you have to say would be untruthful.  As for your post, do you think you are posting on a christian site???? And it is confusing.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

OrangeDon

"I find your avatar highly offensive--if it reflects any of your 'values', that means you don't have any."
That's certainly your choice.  It's a pic of the wax figure of Orange Don at Disney World.  And it's hilarious.
I am not aligned with the idiots who worship Orange Don, so, actually, that means I do have values.

"I suspect all you have to say would be untruthful."
Well, you suspect wrong.  You don't know me, and I only started posting here today.

"As for your post, do you think you are posting on a christian site????"
No, this is called ATHEIST FORUMS.  And I'm posting in an area called CHRISTIANITY with one byline being - discuss your issues with the Bible.
Hope that helps clarify!  Have a nice day.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 08, 2021, 09:13:36 AM
I find your avatar highly offensive--if it reflects any of your 'values', that means you don't have any.  I suspect all you have to say would be untruthful.  As for your post, do you think you are posting on a christian site???? And it is confusin
It could have been clearer, but imo that post is highly critical of evangelical beliefs and the attempt to pass off these beliefs as less harmful and less overtly antiscience than they have historically been shown to be.

Mike Cl

Quote from: OrangeDon on April 08, 2021, 09:43:22 AM
"I find your avatar highly offensive--if it reflects any of your 'values', that means you don't have any."
That's certainly your choice.  It's a pic of the wax figure of Orange Don at Disney World.  And it's hilarious.
I am not aligned with the idiots who worship Orange Don, so, actually, that means I do have values.

"I suspect all you have to say would be untruthful."
Well, you suspect wrong.  You don't know me, and I only started posting here today.

"As for your post, do you think you are posting on a christian site????"
No, this is called ATHEIST FORUMS.  And I'm posting in an area called CHRISTIANITY with one byline being - discuss your issues with the Bible.
Hope that helps clarify!  Have a nice day.
I am happy to hear that you do not worship the orange monster.  I don't think anybody is pure evil, but the orange monster is as close as one can get.  Your first post I found confusing.  So, that's why I was wondering if you knew this was an atheist forum.  I'm glad you straightened me out. And you are new here for sure--why not take a little trip to the intro thread and tell us about yourself.  In any case, it seems you will fit right in with the rest of us.  So, even tho it is not the intro page, I say--welcome.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

OrangeDon

Thanks for replying, Mike.  I was honestly concerned that maybe I got off on the wrong foot with you.  Glad now that's not the case.
I love the Orange Don handle because I abhor Trump.  He looks Orange from his fake tan, and I'm told he HATES being called Don. :)

Mike Cl

Quote from: OrangeDon on April 09, 2021, 08:18:58 PM
Thanks for replying, Mike.  I was honestly concerned that maybe I got off on the wrong foot with you.  Glad now that's not the case.
I love the Orange Don handle because I abhor Trump.  He looks Orange from his fake tan, and I'm told he HATES being called Don. :)
I, too, abhor the orange monster--except abhor is much, much too mild.  And it looks like you will fit right in here.  We can use some new blood. :)

GSOgymrat

Interesting essay on growing up believing in the rapture and the psychological and socio-political implications of accepting everyone who doesn't share your religion will be destroyed.

Vanished From the Earth

... It’s hard to overstate how large the rapture loomed while I was growing up in the evangelical world. As a child, I was taught that I might live to see the end of the world. I learned how to see it coming, too: How the nation of Israel was “God’s timepiece” hitting marks on a prophetic timeline, how the machinations of the Catholic Church and the United Nations would soon come to a head and form a one-world government, how God would be driven out of America’s public square as people looked to other things for salvation.

This was OK, though, because it meant the end was near and that the faithful would have a reward better than eternal life after death. They’d skip death entirely, raptured before the Earth was allowed to rot in its filth for that era of tribulation before Christ’s return to rule all forever, with the faithful by his side. That part is important: The rapture isn’t just about terror. It’s seduction. Something to feel special about. ...