News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

DND in quarantine

Started by Mr.Obvious, January 17, 2021, 06:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

So...

I've found a few friends who would like to play DND, like I would.
The rules here still do not permit a gathering of five to casually play a game like this, which sucks. But it is giving me time to prepare.

I bought a starter set and learned the necessary rules, so if I don't manage to finish a campaign on my own, we'll be able to play that immeadiatly.

However, I am using this quarantine to make a self-made campaign.
I've got the outline for the first session ready.

Still looking for pointers on forging my own cheap  materials though. We don't want to go in deep if we don't know that we'll like it. I've only played it once, as did two of the players. The other two never even played.
I can find non-expensive dice online. I've bought a giant roll of pattern paper to create some maps of my own. But I'm kind of stuck on the figurines / pawns.
Those seem expensive.  My players might be able to find pawns for themselves. But I'm hoping to find a way to get some baddies in there.
What I was thinking was paper or cartboard figures.

I could just print images of the creatures that I need and  then use that with a steady base.
But I can't seem to find something like that base online, to purchase.
Does it have a specific name, what you guys see in the picture?  My english is failing me.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mike Cl

Mr. Obvious, this may, or may not, be of help.  Waaaaay, back in the day, I used to own 15/20 solo dungeons, which had maps, paper figures and the like.  You may be able to find some of those on the net; I do remember that there were several that offered used, old games at fairly cheap prices.  You might be able to grab some and use those maps and material as a guide for you current efforts.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

GrinningYMIR

I used to DM on Roll 20, going to again soon, maybe try there
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 17, 2021, 06:56:34 PMWhat I was thinking was paper or cartboard figures.

I could just print images of the creatures that I need and  then use that with a steady base.
But I can't seem to find something like that base online, to purchase.
Does it have a specific name, what you guys see in the picture?  My english is failing me.
Looks like a goblin shaman or thereabouts.

Cardboard is great!  Any visual aid is helpful, but no need to buy expensive minis.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 17, 2021, 07:54:32 PM
Looks like a goblin shaman or thereabouts.

Cardboard is great!  Any visual aid is helpful, but no need to buy expensive minis.

Any idea what the plastic base is called?

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mr.Obvious

Mike Cl

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on January 18, 2021, 01:51:50 AM
Any idea what the plastic base is called?
Binder clip?  (with the metal part removed)

Mr.Obvious

Mr.Obvious

I've gone ahead on making the maps I think my players may need in my little quest.

This is going to be the crossroads where the players start when they chance upon an ambush by some goblins (maybe orcs) on a trading cart.
They come in from the north (top of the map) and can try to sneak up on the enemy through the tall grass, but that may take more time and diminish the traders' chances for survival.
Or they can rush through and draw attention, losing the potential round of opportunity.
This map I made myself completely, and seeing how basic it is: it shows.

This map's design I shamelessly copied from an online picture of a map on Pinterest. It's the local prison where the party might find themselves thrown into, needing to break out. Or they might try to break in to save a blameless NPC  held captive there, who is to be hanged upon the morrow.
Using the basic layout of a  map I found actually hardly made this second map more time-consuming than the first, even though it is far more detailed.
My hope is to develop enough insight that I can make all my maps myself, 100%. But as I'm not sure my friends are going to want to keep playing, I'm taking all the help I can get right now.

Mr.Obvious