Are we living in a metastable universe?

Started by PopeyesPappy, February 19, 2013, 12:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: "stromboli"Sun burns out in 4.5 billion years? Oh geez, so much to do, so little time.
*checks out Reddit, Dark Roasted Blend, and Orion's Arm*

Meanwhile...

TheDevoutPasta

"The criticism of the atrocities inherent to religion is an undeniable prerequisite of societal progress."

PopeyesPappy

I'm interested in this due to its possible implications to the cyclic universe hypothesis.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Mister Agenda

Quote from: "Jason78"Interesting stuff.  I've always been a little worried that the vacuum might not be as stable as it looks.

The other worrying thing is that it might have happened already.

If it's expanding towards us at the speed of light, our sun might still burn out before it reaches us. Depending on how long ago it happened and where it started. I can't think of any theoretical way to get an early warning on an event headed toward you at the speed of light, but it would be nice if we can figure one out.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

Jmpty

Quote from: "Mister Agenda"
Quote from: "Jason78"Interesting stuff.  I've always been a little worried that the vacuum might not be as stable as it looks.

The other worrying thing is that it might have happened already.

If it's expanding towards us at the speed of light, our sun might still burn out before it reaches us. Depending on how long ago it happened and where it started. I can't think of any theoretical way to get an early warning on an event headed toward you at the speed of light, but it would be nice if we can figure one out.

I wouldn't worry about it. We'll never know what happened. POOF!!
???  ??

stromboli

Quote from: "PopeyesPappy"I'm interested in this due to its possible implications to the cyclic universe hypothesis.

You mean we have all been previously posted? Holy Deja Vu, Batman.

Like momma used to say, what goes around come around.

PopeyesPappy

Don't worry Strom. In 10^10^10^10^10^1.1 years none of this will matter anyway.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

GurrenLagann

Kinda've puts the brakes on being biologically immortal. :O
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Mathias

Quote from: "TheDevoutPasta"i need an english-english translator.

Lucky bastard.... :D
"There is no logic in the existence of any god".
Myself.

leo

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote from: "stromboli"Sun burns out in 4.5 billion years? Oh geez, so much to do, so little time.
*checks out Reddit, Dark Roasted Blend, and Orion's Arm*

Meanwhile...

[ Image ]
Cool images . 4 billion years still is plenty of time .
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

Nihil-ist

Maybe it's already happening. Remember dark flow?
Or maybe that's just another universe we ran into. Our bubble is deflating.

Fun stuff.
"At some point in human history there were no gods."
"Deus est mortuus logica obtinet"