Are we living in a metastable universe?

Started by PopeyesPappy, February 19, 2013, 12:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Observations on the mass of the top quark and Higgs particle candidate are leaning that direction. If it is true, our universe could be relatively short lived.

http://pubdb.desy.de/fulltext/getfullte ... 3383-59716
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

stromboli

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/ ... st+News%29

For those of us for whom your link is a little too esoteric. Sorry.

pr126

Good grief, that's terrible. Does god know about this?

Hydra009

Quote"A little bubble of what you might think of as an 'alternative' universe will appear somewhere and then it will expand out and destroy us," says Lykken, adding that the event will unfold at the speed of light.
:shock: :shock:  :shock:

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "stromboli"http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/02/19/3693584.htm?WT.mc_id=science_twitterfeed_latest&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+abcscience_latestnews+%28ABC+Science%3A+Latest+News%29

well - in all fairness - this^ article did say "at some point, billions of years from now..."
which sounds feasible to me.  I mean........  "billions of years from now"  --- right?

Or should I pack a bag?
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Jason78

Interesting stuff.  I've always been a little worried that the vacuum might not be as stable as it looks.

The other worrying thing is that it might have happened already.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

aitm

so I still have time to set up my camera outside Smarzie's new house?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "stromboli"http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/02/19/3693584.htm?WT.mc_id=science_twitterfeed_latest&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+abcscience_latestnews+%28ABC+Science%3A+Latest+News%29

Oh come on! Where's the fun in reading about something in a language you understand?

stromboli

I have a degree in English Lit. My math skills are at about the 5th grade level. Sorry.  :(

aitm

Quote from: "stromboli"My math skills are at about the 5th grade level.  :(

Braggart!
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Quote"A little bubble of what you might think of as an 'alternative' universe will appear somewhere and then it will expand out and destroy us," says Lykken, adding that the event will unfold at the speed of light.
:shock: :shock:  :shock:

Quoteand before we realized what swept by us our protons would decay away.
At least it will be quick...

SGOS

OK, that's it.  I'm going to shoot myself.  Right now.

PopeyesPappy

In the cosmic scheme of things this would probably be better than some of the alternatives like getting fried by a gamma ray burst.

The Skeletal Atheist

I remember my brother was worrying about the whole 2012 shill, because that's all people in prison could do at the time apparently. I reassured him that according to some physicists the reality is kind of like a bubble, and could "pop" at any moment leading to total nonexistence.  Somehow that did not quell his fears.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

stromboli

Sun burns out in 4.5 billion years? Oh geez, so much to do, so little time.