News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 16, 2020, 08:24:06 AM
That's the thing that worries me. Who got the news first thing. I've only seen Pfizer-BioNtech articles yet probably because Pfizer is an American company and BioNtech founders are Turkish-German. Moderna has just dropped as you posted with 95 %. Now another one coming in with 'no no ours is 97%', 'hey we have 98%'?

We don't have any real idea what has been going on. No other names? How many works have been going on?
I've felt the same way.  Maybe we are playing to the American favorites, but I don't know if that's what's at stake here.  I have been thinking there is probably a lack of information because capitalism encourages secrecy.  It's not in the financial interests of a company to share much information until it has a patent.  That way, you end up with more of the enchilada.  I had a friend who made part of his living as an industrial spy, so I know secrecy is a real thing.

Mike Cl

No matter when any vaccines come out, I will be waiting a couple of months before I get mine.  I don't trust any of them to get it completely correct and I'm curious about any side effects these may come with.  With such a huge push to get a vaccine NOW, how many corners have been cut???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 16, 2020, 08:50:41 AM
No matter when any vaccines come out, I will be waiting a couple of months before I get mine.  I don't trust any of them to get it completely correct and I'm curious about any side effects these may come with.  With such a huge push to get a vaccine NOW, how many corners have been cut???
I have no idea.  I will probably just listen to the experts, because the only thing I know is that I don't know much about this issue.  If I pick up hints from knowledgeable people that there are still unaddressed concerns of a serious nature, I'll wait, but I'm reluctant to avoid shots because of my skepticism alone.  I'm skeptical about everything, so it wouldn't be prudent for me to wait for 100% certainty.  At some point you have to take the leap.

drunkenshoe

Well, thinking about how long it took other vaccines to be developed, that's a point. I agree with you both.

But there are other problems here in the Middle East. There are no enough freezers to store the vaccines. -70 C? Something like that.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on November 16, 2020, 08:58:59 AM
I have no idea.  I will probably just listen to the experts, because the only thing I know is that I don't know much about this issue.  If I pick up hints from knowledgeable people that there are still unaddressed concerns of a serious nature, I'll wait, but I'm reluctant to avoid shots because of my skepticism alone.  I'm skeptical about everything, so it wouldn't be prudent for me to wait for 100% certainty.  At some point you have to take the leap.
Yeah, I agree.  Oh, I getting the shot, not doubt.  But isolating a couple of extra months while the initial wave of shots shakes out seems prudent, at least to me.  I'm NOT against vaccines on any level.  It's just that with the trumpian push to get this out no matter the quality makes me a little hesitant to get the first round of the shot.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 16, 2020, 10:30:02 AM
Well, thinking about how long it took other vaccines to be developed, that's a point. I agree with you both.

But there are other problems here in the Middle East. There are no enough freezers to store the vaccines. -70 C? Something like that.

I'm getting the impression that the temperature may be a problem here too.  That's -100 F.  I'm not sure how cold the typical freezer truck gets, but I don't think we have to transport much of anything that requires those kind of temperatures.  If we build a bunch of specialized trucks and someone comes up with a vaccine that can be transported at room temperature, that could be a political problem spun as wasted money.  I have no idea how much a fleet of such trucks would cost.  Probably a lot less than bailing out a bunch of corrupt bankers, but Republicans would love it if that happened.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 16, 2020, 03:02:33 AM
Should we have a Covid-19 Vaccine Development thread? I have difficulty discerning the news. Or probably because I'm paranoid about news vendors here.

Pfizer vaccine has stability problems (these have to be refrigerated like all vaccines, but this particular nostrum has a short shelf life).  Moderna vaccine (may be) more stable.  It would be far easier to just give people a placebo ;-)  Russians and Chinese both claim success ... Putin and Xi are your lords and saviors ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 16, 2020, 10:38:57 AM
Yeah, I agree.  Oh, I getting the shot, not doubt.  But isolating a couple of extra months while the initial wave of shots shakes out seems prudent, at least to me.  I'm NOT against vaccines on any level.  It's just that with the trumpian push to get this out no matter the quality makes me a little hesitant to get the first round of the shot.

Right to distrust politicians.  But you shouldn't trust commercial interests or doctors with money to make.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on November 16, 2020, 08:24:06 AM
That's the thing that worries me. Who got the news first thing. I've only seen Pfizer-BioNtech articles yet probably because Pfizer is an American company and BioNtech founders are Turkish-German. Moderna has just dropped as you posted with 95 %. Now another one coming in with 'no no ours is 97%', 'hey we have 98%'?

We don't have any real idea what has been going on. No other names? How many works have been going on?

The media are controlled by commercial and political interests.  That is what makes them so reliable.  Which company gets news?  Like Google search, you pay the advertiser to give you more attention.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on November 16, 2020, 06:11:54 AM
We actually haven't had much news.  For a long time, all we knew was that several vendors were working on one.  Now we are being told Phizer is getting close to producing a vaccine.  Phizer was the first, so it stole the headlines.  Apparently others are close behind, but we don't know much about them or their efficacy.  Others might be better (or worse than 90%). I read somewhere that the government has agreed to buy millions of doses of vaccine, but I don't think which the vendor was specified.  I think it's too early for the government to make a trillion dollar commitment to a company at this point.  I suspect, the chosen company will be the one Trump owns stock in.  If in fact a deal has been struck, it seems way to early at this point.  Trump will obviously take whatever he can get, whether it's an effective vaccine or Gerber's apple flavored juice in a syringe.  Ordinary cleaning products might be acceptable also.

President Ford and the flu shot, remember that?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cassia

While many patients are "grateful for the care they receive" from nurses, some COVID-19 patients spend their last moments refusing to call family and friends because they're convinced they're going to be fine, Doering said. "Their last dying words are, 'This can't be happening. It's not real,'" Doering recalled. In some cases, patients even insist they have the flu or lung cancer to avoid acknowledging the coronavirus.

src
https://twitter.com/NewDay/status/1328319845012824065?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1328319845012824065%7Ctwgr%5E&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yahoo.com%2Fnews%2Fspecial-operations-snipers-awesome-rifle-153958489.html

Cassia

Despite the vaccines I think we will have nearly half a million US dead -way more than WW2 in about 1/3 of the time.

Mermaid

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 16, 2020, 08:50:41 AM
Not a lot of significant ones. Flu vaccines are developed this quickly as they evolve. The Covid vaccine was able to leverage technology that is a decade or more in the making due to the R/D of a cat coronavirus vaccine. Safety and efficacy are the big hurdles, and it seems it's both of these things in both trials. I'll get it as soon as it's available to me.
I conduct clinical trials for a living.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Mermaid on November 16, 2020, 04:07:47 PM
Not a lot of significant ones. Flu vaccines are developed this quickly as they evolve. The Covid vaccine was able to leverage technology that is a decade or more in the making due to the R/D of a cat coronavirus vaccine. Safety and efficacy are the big hurdles, and it seems it's both of these things in both trials. I'll get it as soon as it's available to me.

I hoped you'd post. Thanks.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mike Cl

Quote from: Mermaid on November 16, 2020, 04:07:47 PM
Oh--you conduct clinical trials for a living--interesting.  I may just change my mind and get it as soon as it is available to me.  So, you don't see anything that raises a red flag for you with the development of these vaccines?