Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 23, 2020, 02:53:52 PM
Medical research will be prioritized a lot more afterwards, for a while, until complacency and apathy sets in again. Same deal with our collective social behavior. If history has learned us anything is that once everything settles back down to "normal" daily life, apathy springs back up again.
Maybe not fire the pandemic response team, at least?

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 23, 2020, 01:05:51 PM
Any thought on needed long-term changes due to this crisis?

Imo, I'm going to make a crisis kit (a small supply of otc medicines and toiletries) and keep a roughly 1-month supply of non-perishables (mostly canned goods).  I want to be able to survive without needing to go out for supplies for 2-4 weeks.

And you better believe sick days and telecommuting will be a lot more on my radar now.
already been inside for a week and a half.

my issue is getting my insulin and other medications, as well as having carbohydrate of some kind in the house to last. This is why I stocked up on oatmeal, sugar dry noodles and rice, as well as lucozade in an emergency
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

States with full or partial lockdown today or starting tomorrow:

California
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Illinois
Indiana
Louisiana
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Nevada
New Jersey
New York
Ohio
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Texas
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Those florida kids on spring break gonna be so sad.. oh but wait, they're at home with the infection.
I guess they have reason to care now

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on March 23, 2020, 06:38:06 PM
Those florida kids on spring break gonna be so sad.. oh but wait, they're at home with the infection.
I guess they have reason to care now

FYI - All other states are partially shutdown, lockdown is more severe.  Florida should have closed the beaches pronto.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Today I dropped off clothes at the dry cleaners, which is run by a Korean-American couple who are always chatty. Normally when I go in they are very busy and the place is loud with steam presses and machines. Today it was eerily quiet and she was sitting on a stool behind the counter. She said no one was bringing in their clothes because so many people aren't going to work. This couple runs this place themselves six days per week. I feel so bad for them and all the other people who are losing businesses they took years to build.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on March 23, 2020, 11:42:36 AM
Turns out many of those spring break asshats did contract it.
Don't forget the group of teens in trouble for deliberately coughing on an elderly couple... because they're fucking assholes.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

Quote from: trdsf on March 23, 2020, 07:50:42 PM
Don't forget the group of teens in trouble for deliberately coughing on an elderly couple... because they're fucking assholes.

If they contract it and die from the disease, the teens should be prosecuted for manslaughter

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on March 23, 2020, 08:03:24 PM
If they contract it and die from the disease, the teens should be prosecuted for manslaughter

I don't know what I wish on them, but it's not pleasant. I really want to believe they can learn and become better people, but common sense tells me otherwise.

I also hope the government cracks down extremely harshly on people who hoarded necessary supplies and tried to resell them at heavily marked up prices.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on March 23, 2020, 08:07:05 PM

I don't know what I wish on them, but it's not pleasant. I really want to believe they can learn and become better people, but common sense tells me otherwise.

I also hope the government cracks down extremely harshly on people who hoarded necessary supplies and tried to resell them at heavily marked up prices.

"Florida Man Faces Five Years For Stealing 66 Rolls Of Toilet Paper" ... the meme rolls on ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"1.7 billion people - nearly 2/7th of the Earth's population - have now been asked to stay home in more than 50 countries and territories due to the coronavirus outbreak" ... can't continue indefinitely like this ... at some point people will have to go back to work.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on March 23, 2020, 08:03:24 PM
Damn skippy -- and they should be.  That's just about as irresponsible as you could ask for.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

GSOgymrat

Some people always need someone to blame.

Spit On, Yelled At, Attacked: Chinese-Americans Fear for Their Safety

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/spit-on-yelled-at-attacked-chinese-americans-fear-for-their-safety/ar-BB11AEg5?ocid=msedgntp

... As the coronavirus upends American life, Chinese-Americans face a double threat. Not only are they grappling like everyone else with how to avoid the virus itself, they are also contending with growing racism in the form of verbal and physical attacks. Other Asian-Americans â€" with families from Korea, Vietnam, the Philippines, Myanmar and other places â€" are facing threats, too, lumped together with Chinese-Americans by a bigotry that does not know the difference.

In interviews over the past week, nearly two dozen Asian-Americans across the country said they were afraid â€" to go grocery shopping, to travel alone on subways or buses, to let their children go outside. Many described being yelled at in public â€" a sudden spasm of hate that is reminiscent of the kind faced by American Muslims and other Arabs and South Asians after the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

But unlike in 2001, when President George W. Bush urged tolerance of American Muslims, this time President Trump is using language that Asian-Americans say is inciting racist attacks.

Mr. Trump and his Republican allies are intent on calling the coronavirus “the Chinese virus,” rejecting the World Health Organization’s guidance against using geographic locations when naming illnesses, since past names have provoked a backlash.

Mr. Trump told reporters on Tuesday that he was calling the virus “Chinese” to combat a disinformation campaign by Beijing officials saying the American military was the source of the outbreak. He dismissed concerns that his language would lead to any harm.

“If they keep using these terms, the kids are going to pick it up,” said Tony Du, an epidemiologist in Howard County, Md., who fears for his son, Larry. “They are going to call my 8-year-old son a Chinese virus. It’s serious.” ...

Munch

Calling it the chinese virus is stupid.

But it did originate from china.

Being angry and pissed off at the country of china and its communist ways and allowing what it does to animals in wet markets, its fine to be pissed off and angry that them, as such things need to be called out

But those living outside of china away from such a system shouldn't have to suffer this.

Unless their all for the slaughter and consumption of dogs too in which case all bets are off. Dogs are better people then human beings.