News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

This thread is an interesting archaeology of the course of the disease outbreak.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mr.Obvious

Yes, I must admit I misjudged the situation severely.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 21, 2020, 06:15:08 PM

Father Mantis: You are forgiven, my bug ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

If you don’t use toilet paper for two weeks you don’t even have to ask...people will move away.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

So work called me in and against my better judgement, I started going back.  Smart move?  Hell no.  Pragmatic move?  Possibly. 

I'm not living paycheck to paycheck, but I kinda do need the money.  I'm absolutely not looking forward to sitting around for 2 months and literally eat through my savings.

The spread of the virus isn't super bad right now (we're still in the early days), but all that craziness going on in NYC is sure to reach us soon, probably in a week or so.  I'm planning on resuming my isolation by then, in 5 days or so.

I haven't seen Typhoid Joe at work, but I know a Typhoid Mary who is 100% likely to get sick at some point and spread it (and claim that I gave it to her when she gets me sick)

I stayed the hell away from people (my default) and washed my hands regularly.

I really wanted some groceries, so I went and brought back some groceries.  Saw my first batch of people wearing surgical masks in person.

When I got home, I got chewed out badly by...well, let's call her Aunt May.  Lectured and lectured.  Mixture of anger and contempt.  My favorite.

I realize now that going out for groceries was a mistake, but I needed some things and was curious about how thoroughly its been cleaned out.  But being so close to people was risky and I shouldn't have taken that risk.

Am I being too reckless?

Bear in mind that Aunt May watches 24/7 news all day every day and is constantly in a state of fear.  Part of her lecturing may be due to an enhanced fear response.  She's a couple bad news stories from starting work on a Fallout Vault full of toilet paper, imho.  Hysterics aside, she actually does have a point, though I would have preferred a more measured, less accusatory approach.

TL;DR:  Lesson learned, I need to better practice what I preach.  I'm going to break things off at work and hunker down soon.  And no more grocery trips for a while.

Baruch

Illinois and Pennsylvania joined New York and California in lockdowns.  Partial restrictions in other states.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

We do not have shelter in place yet.  I wish we did.  Then I could tell work to sit and spin.

I don't know when I should tell them I won't be back for a while.  5 days from now?  3 days from now?  Tomorrow?

If I wait too long, it'll be too late to jump ship and I'm screwed and my family is screwed.  If I don't wait long enough, I feel like I'm panicking and acting irrationally.

This is my first major pandemic, so I'm not super experienced at dealing with these things.  Please advise.

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bgCCXSrwHA

I can understand why things are so much more worrying where you are, america being so big, its pragmatic on how things are governed state by state.
In the uk everything is decided in parliament, which can be both a negative and a positive depending on the situation. The structure of something like the NHS coming completely from their decision making across the entire country.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Draconic Aiur

The panic is real and my family has just begun to hoard.

Munch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on March 21, 2020, 08:44:05 PM

at least in hoarding for themselves their being honest. Looked on ebay, and fuckers are selling single toilet rolls for £5 per roll.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on March 21, 2020, 08:44:05 PM

Know where the hoard is kept, in case you need it after they die (sarc).  Being the one person not having a Darwin award ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 21, 2020, 06:15:08 PM

This could still peak at less than Swine Flu 2010.  Just because the fatality pattern is different, just means it is a different strain.  As a senior "it is a good day to die".  But only children less than 10 have not died.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on March 21, 2020, 08:59:38 PM
at least in hoarding for themselves their being honest. Looked on ebay, and fuckers are selling single toilet rolls for £5 per roll.

Like French military rifles, only used once ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Being a good boy scout never hurt.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 21, 2020, 07:05:11 PM
We do not have shelter in place yet.  I wish we did.  Then I could tell work to sit and spin.

I don't know when I should tell them I won't be back for a while.  5 days from now?  3 days from now?  Tomorrow?

If I wait too long, it'll be too late to jump ship and I'm screwed and my family is screwed.  If I don't wait long enough, I feel like I'm panicking and acting irrationally.

This is my first major pandemic, so I'm not super experienced at dealing with these things.  Please advise.

Stay at work as long as you can (you need the check, or a job to come back to).  If you are essential personnel then gird up your loins and stay anyway, I salute you!  If you do shelter in place, and if you don't have enough money to get thru a month (many people have less than $500 free money between paydays), then decide not to pay the rent/mortgage/car payment.  You need that money for essentials.  Those major monthly payments you can tell them the check is in the mail (Trump/Johnson).  Finding stuff at stores that are open (not full shelter in place) is a scavenger hunt.  Enjoy it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.