News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Its haunting, hearing just how many people are dying in Italy. The fact their just needing to pile the dead into trucks and families finding out their loved ones are just another body in the pile. That's terrifying :(

I just want to do everything I can now to protect my love ones if it gets this bad here.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Center of conspiracy theory ... that US is involved with the start of this pandemic ...

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/about

PS ... "NEW FORECAST SAYS TRUMP WILL LOSE IN NOVEMBER AMID FAILING ECONOMY" ... quid pro quo.  Gates/Microsoft an agent of China?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on March 20, 2020, 08:06:51 AM
Its haunting, hearing just how many people are dying in Italy. The fact their just needing to pile the dead into trucks and families finding out their loved ones are just another body in the pile. That's terrifying :(

I just want to do everything I can now to protect my love ones if it gets this bad here.
My brother was giving me shit about missing work (a job where I am very likely to get sick) but I told him that my number one priority was not getting sick and spreading it, everything else be damned.  He works and lives alone, so it's not much of a problem for him.  I get sick and I could likely kill someone.  So screw his opinion.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 20, 2020, 08:19:58 AM
My brother was giving me shit about missing work (a job where I am very likely to get sick) but I told him that my number one priority was not getting sick and spreading it, everything else be damned.  He works and lives alone, so it's not much of a problem for him.  I get sick and I could likely kill someone.  So screw his opinion.

Exactly, you should show him the people dying in Italy to hammer in the fact hes wrong, and he could kill other people if he doesn't follow the guidelines

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on March 20, 2020, 08:06:51 AM

I just googled this.  Italy has the second largest elderly population next to Japan, which may account for the high death rate.  The higher death rate for seniors is not a statistic in my favor.

Sal1981

80 cases now in my country, most of them in the capital next to where I live. It's getting outta hand here, although there's some sign it's "flattening the curve", as it was 72 cases yesterday.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on March 20, 2020, 08:26:22 AM
Exactly, you should show him the people dying in Italy to hammer in the fact hes wrong, and he could kill other people if he doesn't follow the guidelines
Won't work.  He's not a pathos kind of guy.  I have to make it clear that a little missed work hours (which I can always get back by working extra later on) is less detrimental to myself and society as a whole than spreading the disease - Logos.  Or appealing to government/medical experts pleading for people to stay indoors - Ethos.

Also, this is a crisis that doesn't feel like a crisis, so he's sadly operating on business-as-normal logic.  This isn't like a hurricane, I can't look outside and see the devastation.  But it's there.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 20, 2020, 08:19:58 AM
I think this hardline approach makes sense.  This pandemic is new for most of us today.  We don't know a lot yet about controlling it, but erring on the side of safety seems reasonable.  Trump's burry your head in the sand approach was not helpful at best, and very dangerous at worst.  His advisors got him to do a 180 on this, but many supporters will still be cherry picking from the contradictions.  I will never forget all those man on the street interviews on TV before the last presidential election, where the number one response from Trump supporters was, "He says it like it is."   It was a Bumper sticker mentality that swept through conservative voters.  It was also an untruth.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 20, 2020, 08:48:37 AM
Won't work.  He's not a pathos kind of guy.  I have to make it clear that a little missed work hours (which I can always get back by working extra later on) is less detrimental to myself and society as a whole than spreading the disease - Logos.  Or appealing to government/medical experts pleading for people to stay indoors - Ethos.

Also, this is a crisis that doesn't feel like a crisis, so he's sadly operating on business-as-normal logic.  This isn't like a hurricane, I can't look outside and see the devastation.  But it's there.

Well just hope you and your loved ones stay safe. Just hope the hardline seriousness of this doesn't hit your brother in the worst way.

That goes for everyone here by the way, everyone stay safe, make updates how your all doing

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 20, 2020, 08:51:36 AM
I think this hardline approach makes sense.  This pandemic is new for most of us today.  We don't know a lot yet about controlling it, but erring on the side of safety seems reasonable.  Trump's burry your head in the sand approach was not helpful at best, and very dangerous at worst.  His advisors got him to do a 180 on this, but many supporters will still be cherry picking from the contradictions.  I will never forget all those man on the street interviews on TV before the last presidential election, where the number one response from Trump supporters was, "He says it like it is."   It was a Bumper sticker mentality that swept through conservative voters.  It was also an untruth.

President Obama and Swine flu 2009 ... cough, cough.  Untruth = Politics.

In Europe however, they had the "herd mentality" about "herd immunity" but have done a 180 after seeing Italy die off.  They didn't mind if all seniors die.  But younger people get it too, and this is the first wave of the infection.  For Spanish flu there were three waves, and the second wave was the worst (because just because you survived the first wave, you were still so sick your acquired immunity was ineffective).

Enjoy your police state ... the lockdown is self-perpetuating.  Italy is thinking of calling out their army, so is France.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

It is possible that I am overreacting in going on full lockdown so soon instead of going to work and taking reasonable precautions.

But we won't know until later if I made the right call.  If there's a high deathtoll and I know I contributed to it, that would make me very, very unhappy.

The news I've seen lately makes me think that my self-imposed isolation is no overreaction:  https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241329066.html

Sal1981

There are now more than 10,000 people dead from Covid-19.

SGOS

There is nothing I would like better than learning that all the media hype and World Health Organization's warnings was just an over reaction.  It would be a great relief to be sure.  But in a world of alternate facts, utube, and President Trump's early morning dream tweets, we more than ever have to exercise caution and take appropriate responsibility on our own.

My sister in Chicago is in a women's book club that was making plans for a special pizza party meeting during the pandemic.  My sister said she would not attend because she was planning to isolate.  She said everyone looked her blankly.  As it turned out, a week later, they canceled the plan.  I'm thinking many people aren't giving the pandemic much thought, but that talking about the problem publicly may cause others (some others) to think.  I have no idea what the outcome of that thinking will be, of course.  But I think taking a personal stand and letting others know why you are is reasonable.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 20, 2020, 09:24:48 AM
It is possible that I am overreacting in going on full lockdown so soon instead of going to work and taking reasonable precautions.

But we won't know until later if I made the right call.  If there's a high deathtoll and I know I contributed to it, that would make me very, very unhappy.

The news I've seen lately makes me think that my self-imposed isolation is no overreaction:  https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article241329066.html

You gotta take responsibility for yourself and your family, all the time.  Normal time or pandemic time.  If you can afford to skip work, I don't see any reason not to.  But most people don't have that option.  I wouldn't feel guilty going out in a limited way, provided I don't have symptoms.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.