News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: SGOS on March 19, 2020, 06:59:09 PM
When I was very young, I heard of quarantine, but it was presented to me as an antiquated artifact of earlier times.  If I remember right, I was told it was not found to be effective, and no longer used.  Now here we are at full circle.  Isolation is not something most humans do naturally.

In your lifetime the chances are they were talking about leprosy.

Quarantine has been part of the protocol for dealing with infectious disease every since we figured out how it spreads.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Munch

I'm not sure why the idea that quarantine is ineffective is believed. When you considered our understanding of diseases now, the structure of our modern societies, it's far better then how we operated at the time of the black death or cholera.
A person can completely isolate themselves off from the world in this day and age, work online, order everything in, never step a foot out their door, and yet know more about the world then someone from the 19th century would just working a simple job.

Obviously I'm not advocating anyone live that kind of life since we need social interaction, but it is something people can do now.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on March 19, 2020, 07:29:45 PM

Quarantine has been part of the protocol for dealing with infectious disease every since we figured out how it spreads.

Most quarantines are small geographically.  Say, a Yellow Fever outbreak in Memphis Tennessee ... they only locked down Memphis.  We live in a global village now, filled with village idiots.

Leprosy was Hawaii, 19th century.  A Catholic priest there got a sainthood over it.  Leper colonies were tiny.

Latest update ... restaurants that were still open, serving sit down customers (with expanded personal space) are now take-out only.  I just have to order ahead and pick up ... I am not limited to McDonalds.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Not leprosy. This was in regards to common diseases probably around 1920 when my father was growing up.  He said it was common to see standard quarantine signs (I think he said they were yellow, but I'm not sure) plastered on front doors of individual homes .

I agree that it should be, but just a couple of years ago, a nurse returning from Africa where she worked with Ebola victims refused to comply with forced quarantine by the state, and ignited a firestorm of media sympathy that fueled outrage across the population that sent politicians with good intentions scurrying for cover and reversing the preventative measures they were trying to put in place.

Now just a couple years later, people seem to be supportive of the idea.  Close the restaurants, theaters, gyms, suspend air travel, and stop the trains.  I'm not opposed to quarantine, I'm just not making sense out of people's reactions.  I have also decided that I'm going to isolate, and will be telling my friends, we will not be gathering socially.  And I'm also anticipating some will be offended.

Mike Cl

As SGOS pointed out--the idea of quarantine is mostly new to the US population.  As a whole, they don't really know or understand what it means.  If we had had an actual leader, one of the important weapons to use would be information--information given by experts (who the orange asshole fired) on what, why, when, how, and for how long to self quarantine.  And to repeat that info every day until the crisis is over.  What does quarantine mean?  Only go to stores you are used to--to restaurants that are clean--only stay home--only visit people you know--stay a foot, 2 feet, 6 feet, 10 feet away from people?  The message needs to repeated over and over again. 

As a young child I came down with scarlet fever and my family was quarantined in our home for two weeks--sign on the front door and all.  Even then I remember being visited by at least one couple.  So, even then, people did not seem to give credence to what quarantine meant. 

CA gov. estimates half of CA will become infected.  I think it will be more than that.  My wife and I are not going anywhere for anything. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 19, 2020, 08:40:55 PM
As SGOS pointed out--the idea of quarantine is mostly new to the US population.  As a whole, they don't really know or understand what it means.
Basically, humans are like a road network for diseases.  It can go anywhere and everywhere as long as the roads are open.  But every self-isolating person is like a dead-end road.  Enough dead ends and it runs out of gas.

#strained metaphor
#i tried

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on March 19, 2020, 07:58:22 PM
I'm not sure why the idea that quarantine is ineffective is believed.
I think maybe much of it is political, which often replaces reason in times of crisis.

Also, keep in mind, I was simply reporting things I was told as a child.  Yes, I believed them then because I heard it from adults.  And as you know much of what adults told us turns out to be wrong.

Quote from: Munch on March 19, 2020, 07:58:22 PM
Obviously I'm not advocating anyone live that kind of life since we need social interaction, but it is something people can do now.
I'm going to do it to the best of my ability.  I'm in the high risk category being over 70 and with occasional bouts of asthma.  But for my age, I'm still healthy enough to hike and want to enjoy the out of doors for as long as I can.   Also, I tend to isolate anyway, which is a major part of what I like about being in the woods.

This part of the thread was me just reacting to the awkwardness of friends who want to get together, when I really don't need to.  I like my friends, and I don't like telling them not to come to my house.  But I think it's prudent at this time.  I will have to buy some groceries from time to time, which I'm not looking forward to, and I'm too far out in the woods to have any sort of delivery.  I don't think Fed Ex delivers milk and bread.  But that's going to be enough exposure for me.

Baruch

US stats:

Mar 15 - 48 total US fatalities

Mar 19 - 187 total US fatalities

So rate of increase over 4 recent days is ... cumulative fatalities doubling every 1.95 days ... so looking worse than last week, more like early March.

Ex and daughter are in home isolation.  I had to go out an shop for them today, otherwise I would be in home isolation too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

"California Gov. Gavin Newsom announces statewide coronavirus 'stay at home' order" ... like France and Italy ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 19, 2020, 09:22:35 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/

good example. Any disease has to reach its peak, and the best we can hope for is the population infected is strong enough or capable enough to fight off the worst of it before it starts to decline.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 19, 2020, 03:29:14 PM
But hey, it's not all bad.  Air pollution has decreased a lot in Italy and China (and presumably, other places that have hunkered down to stop the spread of disease)

I went outside for a brief walk and I was amazed at what seemed like much more nature activity than normal - more and louder birdsongs than I remember.  It might have seemed like more than it was because of the lack of competing human noise.  Or people scaring them away.  Or bad memory.  But it definitely seemed like nature was more active and vibrant than previously.
Yeah, I've noticed Canada geese everywhere -- moreso than usual.  Unfortunately, Canada geese are the biggest jerks of the bird kingdom.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

I was very put off today when I learned a friend of my mum, who she often sees for coffee each week, and whos married to a man who developed pneumonia last year so his respiratory system is weakened, instead of the both of them paying mind to the doctors and government and health experts saying to say in and stock up on supplies, they both decided they were bored with it and went out for a walk, went to the local store, even went into the town center. She's in her 80s.

I feel like getting my mums phone and calling her telling her she will die and might infect others while doing so. We're all bored and will be bored and fed up being trapped indoors, but its just simply the best thing we have now, and its just fucking everyone else around not following it.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on March 19, 2020, 11:19:48 PM
Yeah, I've noticed Canada geese everywhere -- moreso than usual.  Unfortunately, Canada geese are the biggest jerks of the bird kingdom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5RtrcQ2Hcg

Awe ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.