Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

How are the US numbers trending ...

Feb 29 - first US fatality

Mar 7 - 16 total US fatalities

Mar 11 - 38 total US fatalities (could have been 64)

So not doubling every 2 days, doubling time is longer ;-)

Italy has higher than average elderly percentage of population.  N Italy had one of the best medical institutions in Europe.  Italian health minister has died from coronavirus.  He exposed everyone on a flight from the US back to Italy a few days ago.

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

A good leadership response ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1vdfiiJjrA

Boris went to Eton and Oxford, Donald did not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

So far the 8 deaths from the virus in the uk (I think its 7 and one is abroad), all of them were people around or past the age of 70 and with underlining health problems.

I've considered what kind of risk it would be to diabetics looking it up, and really all it told me on the NHS website was similar response I should take if I get any infection, to just contact my diabetic health advisor.

I'm more concerned about my elderly mother, though she is healthy (except for a slightly worn hip bone), and the other members of my family whos in the older generation bracket.

As for Boris, he was frank and seemed to be trying, though I can also understand why people are incensed by him. People want to see more action taken like more things being closed down like schools and public gatherings. I think the fact airports are being monitored so badly here is another issue.

Also, i dunno how true the report is, but my local town paper is printing an article about an apparent whistleblower from my local hospital, a nurse who wished to remain anonymous, about the poor setup my hospital has for this, only having 7 spaces for patients with the condition, and them even reporting the other nurses moving an infected patient from the secure ward into another ward with several elderly patients with bad heart conditions.
Theres some doubt to this if its true or not, but doesn't help much.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

trdsf

Welp, the schools are closed until April 3, most of the state universities have canceled in-person classes until the end of the month, COSI (the local science museum) canceled tonight's After Dark (adults program), and CAPA (local arts organization) has suspended all performances until April 5 -- which means I don't get to see Neil deGrasse Tyson next week.

Wal*Mart was a fucking zoo today -- most of the shopping carts were overflowing with toilet paper and cases of bottled water, as if the state's infrastructure was tottering on total collapse because three people in Cleveland sneezed.

I was expecting it to happen, but I'm still disappointed.  Both in missing the shows, and in idiot humans.

Meanwhile, this weekend is going to be spent with friends.  Not worried about mingling -- she's an RN with the state department of health and every few days rotates in from her department to do a shift on the state's coronavirus hotline.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

I overheard a little blurb on the idiot box that toiletpaper hoarding is at least partially psychological - it offers a sense of security and control.  And if some tp offers some security, then more tp = more security, that's just common sense.  The fact that these people are getting like 2 years worth of tp in one trip seems like an unimportant detail.

Draconic Aiur

I'm so happy my university gets a 2nd spring break.

Shiranu

With Texas State shut down, I'm now likely unemployed for the next three weeks, if not more.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Sal1981

Welp, 3 cases already here in the Faroes, and they came here from Denmark since Monday with airplane travel and one of them was at work in a kindergarten, so everyone there is in quarantine. A LOT of people. That was quicker than I anticipated. Denmark is a red area too with the highest per capita new infections. So I bought some stuff to last us a couple of weeks. I'll probably get it if I go out into the public, because the complacency here is baffling. There were no measures taken in the local grocery store were I went to, so I made sure to clean my hands and stuff I had touched when I came back home.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on March 13, 2020, 02:20:53 AM
With Texas State shut down, I'm now likely unemployed for the next three weeks, if not more.

Sorry to hear.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

""We Are Treated Worse Than Garbage": Italian Families Stuck Inside With Bodies Of Dead Spouses As Nationwide Lockdown Begins" ... this is what real quarantine is like.  Even the gravediggers are in quarantine.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on March 13, 2020, 08:00:43 AM
Welp, 3 cases already here in the Faroes, and they came here from Denmark since Monday with airplane travel and one of them was at work in a kindergarten, so everyone there is in quarantine. A LOT of people. That was quicker than I anticipated. Denmark is a red area too with the highest per capita new infections. So I bought some stuff to last us a couple of weeks. I'll probably get it if I go out into the public, because the complacency here is baffling. There were no measures taken in the local grocery store were I went to, so I made sure to clean my hands and stuff I had touched when I came back home.

Take care.  Small countries are hit hard ... Iceland I hear ... on a per-capita basis.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Shiranu on March 13, 2020, 02:20:53 AM

Very sorry to hear that. So many people are going to be out of work, some because they have to stay home with their kids.

trdsf

For a little perspective, I would like to point out that even in the hardest-hit areas, the infection rates are fractions of a percent: Lombardy in Italy has just over 7,000 cases in a population of 10,000,000 for an infection rate of 0.07%.  Daegu in South Korea has 5800 cases in a population of 2.5 million for a rate of around a quarter of a percent.  Metro Tehran has about 2400 cases in a metro area of around 15 million -- infection rate is about 0.16%.

So yes, precautions are sensible considering that there is no vaccine yet -- but fear is not sensible.  Personally, I like my odds.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Unbeliever

The only thing I know of here that's shut down is the local VetConnect, which sucks, but not too badly. I just hope the library doesn't close - that would be a personal catastrophe!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Munch

Nothings shut here yet, however I am meant to attend a course starting in a few weeks for a hospitality certificate at my local collage.
Phoned the tutor but only got answering machine, if they declare the course won't start till this has passed have to wait and see when a new opening is.

Also helping my mum carry some shopping home today, the town was busy as usual, but shelves were clear of all long term foods like pasta, long life bread, powdered products and if course toilet paper.
Saw couple of my mums friends on the way and instead of a friendly peak on the cheek we exchanged elbow taps. Didnt really make sense since getting close enough for an elbow tap would lead to infection still, but hey hoo.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin