News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2020, 05:43:11 PM
People with lung problems ... smokers particularly.

I should be concerned then for my aunt who smokes 20-25 a day. Sadly my aunts the kind of person who thinks everything she does is better then anyone else. so maybe she thinks her immune system is better then anyone else too.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Doctors in Thailand successfully used a drug cocktail to treat a coronavirus patient.  So that's good news.

They used the anti-flu drug oseltamivir with anti-virals used against HIV, lopinavir and ritonavir.  The patient made a dramatic improvement in 48-hours and now tests negative for the virus.

Munch

just seems funny for all china's wealth and control, the cure comes from another country, ha.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on February 02, 2020, 10:28:48 PM
just seems funny for all china's wealth and control, the cure comes from another country, ha.
Bangkoktails, heh.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on February 02, 2020, 10:28:48 PM

And an HIV treatment is relevant ;-)  Gay Chinese bats?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

I post this not because it does any good, but just because it dispells the ridiculous myth that this is not much more serious than the SARs outbreak, or the common flu... spreading false information about a pandemic is exactly the last thing that needs to be done.

First: SARs vs WCV

SARS (November 2002 - July 2003)
- 6 Months
-8098 Cases
-774 Deaths
-Fatality Rate: 9.56%

Wuhan Corona Virus
-Less than a month
-20,000+ (with over 2000 new cases a day at the moment)
-425 reported deaths
-Fatality Rate (as reported): 2.13%

At the moment, the Corona virus, as reported, is a little under 1/5th as fatal as SARs, which is great. However one major caveat to this is that we have to remember this is the PRC providing these numbers... reporters in China are saying the death toll is significantly higher than Xi's government is reporting. But let's use the reported numbers to stay optimistic.

If the WCV stops exponentially spreading and continues at only 2000 new cases a day (which means every 4 days it infects as many people that the SARs virus did) for the same length of time as the SARs outbreak, that's over 3,100,000 reported cases over a 6 month span. With a 2.13% fatality rate that is still 66,000 fatalities. Hopefully with preventive measures and quarantines we can slow that increase and of course contraction rates will decrease over time, but... it's still going to get worse before it get's better.

I want to reiterate that is the absolutely most conservative number you can come up with using the current statistics... and those current statistics are extremely dubious at best. The mayor of Wuhan said an estimated 5 million people left the city before it was quarantined... which was only a week and a few days ago, yet the virus has a two week incubation period... which means the number of people likely carrying the virus is significantly higher in foreign countries than these initial statistics indicate.

I was going to compare it to the flu, but honestly even doing the most bare minimum, conservative statistics was depressing enough.

Edits: And I apparently didn't calculate the mortality rate completely correct, because that assumes the 20,500+ who are infected all survive.

And it doesn't seem to be just killing old and young; the two who died today were in the mid-30s-40s range. What I am concerned about is if I catch it and surviving, I will likely spread it to my 77 year old mother who likely won't survive, and it will be my fault she contracted it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

No matter which bug, it is better to not get it, no matter how rare or common it is.  Virtue signaling over who has the more stylish virus is so ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

First case to officially show up in Belgium.

Gentlemen, it has been an honor.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 04, 2020, 02:29:15 AM
First case to officially show up in Belgium.

Gentlemen, it has been an honor.

This is a chance to take one for the team.  Not virtue signaling, but actual courage under fire.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

well we simply need to build a bigger wall.....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Mike Cl

Quote from: aitm on February 05, 2020, 08:26:41 AM
....and sweeping the forest wouldn't hurt.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

aitm

Whats to prevent the evil chinese overlord wannabees' from infecting all our "made in china" MAGA hats? Or the new air jordans.....or who ever is the new nba guy with a massive shoe presence.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on February 05, 2020, 08:26:41 AM

Silly.  Bubble Boy setup.  Walls don't even stop Democrats ;-)

I don't think the Chinese meant for this to happen.  That would be paranoid.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: aitm on February 05, 2020, 11:37:46 AM
Whats to prevent the evil chinese overlord wannabees' from infecting all our "made in china" MAGA hats? Or the new air jordans.....or who ever is the new nba guy with a massive shoe presence.

considering most western retail outlets get their cloths from china, I'd just suggest not buying anything new period for a while.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on February 05, 2020, 08:52:19 PM
considering most western retail outlets get their cloths from china, I'd just suggest not buying anything new period for a while.

Well, if you don't wash new clothes before you wear them the first time ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.