Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

"In the past week, Florida has had more Covid cases than all 30 states with the lowest case rates combined. And Florida and Texas alone have accounted for nearly 40% of new hospitalizations across the country," White House Covid-19 response coordinator Jeff Zients said Thursday during a White House briefing.  -   Source CNN

Shiranu

Quote from: SGOS on August 31, 2021, 11:41:30 PM
"In the past week, Florida has had more Covid cases than all 30 states with the lowest case rates combined. And Florida and Texas alone have accounted for nearly 40% of new hospitalizations across the country," White House Covid-19 response coordinator Jeff Zients said Thursday during a White House briefing.  -   Source CNN

We just do things bigger down here.

(But seriously, I don't know what it's like in other states but here... I would say no more than 10% of people wear a mask at most places, and everywhere is always crowded. Our numbers being as bad as they are, even if our governor wasn't encouraging it going up, would not shock me in the least. It's not just rednecks either, I would say I see just as many if not more Texan Mexicans who refuse to wear masks).
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on September 01, 2021, 01:30:40 AM
(But seriously, I don't know what it's like in other states but here... I would say no more than 10% of people wear a mask at most places, and everywhere is always crowded.
In NC, people went back to masks as the variant went big - but only about half of them.  And maybe half wear it right.  Lots of nose-maskers and chin-strappers who apparently think masks are magic talismans or fashion accessories.

Iirc, about 55% got the vaccine and that number's not changing much.

We're essentially half-assing it, with a sizable minority taking it seriously, tons of people kinda sorta not really doing their part, and a decent-sized crowd of absolute blithering morons who are essentially in cahoots with this virus and are intent on ruining Halloween, maybe Thanksgiving and Christmas for the rest of us.

Cassia

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 01, 2021, 08:58:06 AM
In NC, people went back to masks as the variant went big - but only about half of them.  And maybe half wear it right.  Lots of nose-maskers and chin-strappers who apparently think masks are magic talismans or fashion accessories.

We're essentially half-assing it, with a sizable minority taking it seriously, tons of people kinda sorta not really doing their part, and a decent-sized crowd of absolute blithering morons who are essentially in cahoots with this virus and are intent on ruining Halloween, maybe Thanksgiving and Christmas for the rest of us.
So-called "patriots" and "thank you for your service" morons killing off what is left of the WW2 veterans and generation in the name of "freedom".

SGOS

I buy tomatoes from this roadside stand.  It's covered building with two open barn doors.  No one ever wears a mask.  It's not that crowded, and is probably safer than Walmart, but I wear my mask, and some people look at me with a bit of disapproval.  I live in a red neck community with Trump 2024 signs up already.  I figure if they go unmasked just to be pricks, I can be a prick by wearing a mask in their little enclave of right wing stupidity.  I hate to admit this, but I do it partly to irritate them.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 01, 2021, 08:58:06 AM

The same thing around here.  About half of the store employees wear masks.  Some businesses now require all of their staff to wear masks, but most apparently, leave it as a voluntary thing, so most stores have about half of them wearing masks.  I still do not go out much, but I've noticed that when I do a little less than half have a mask on their face; part of it anyway.  Many of those don't cover their nose and some only their chin.  About a quarter of those that wear a mask wear them correctly.  Covid will be a danger for much longer than Christmas--maybe two Christmas' from now we will be safer.  As the headline from The Wall Street Journal says--We (the US) are living in the golden age of stupidity!  That we are.  Really, this country is slipping into a type of fascist theocracy and I don't see a way out.  And I don't see any evidence that we are going to get smarter.   
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Partly it may be pandemic fatigue.  We have all been waiting for things to get better, and vaccinations were what we were were hopping for.  Now we have them, giving the impression to a lot of people that the pandemic is over, even while we are in the middle of a new surge.  Go to a restaurant, fly on a plane, go to a movie, or shop at a store; There is a new more contagious version of Covid, and it's everywhere, vaccinated or not, we walk around in it, breath it, and some vaccinated people get mild symptoms to spread it around even more.  But we are still spreading a more contagious and deadly virus than what we had at the beginning.  Now we need enforced vaccinations and mask mandates from the top down.  Unfortunately, I don't see a snowball's chance in Hell of that happening.

Hydra009

Posted for posteriority...errr...posterity.  Take your pick.

drunkenshoe

Was this posted?

Conservative Radio Host Who Called Himself 'Mr. Anti-Vax' Dies from COVID After 3 Week Battle

https://news.yahoo.com/conservative-radio-host-called-himself-202147841.html

Third US anti-vaccine radio host dies of Covid-19 in a month - this should have some sort of an impact over there.

https://www.eldigitaldeasturias.com/noticias/third-us-anti-vaccine-radio-host-dies-of-covid-19-in-a-month/

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Mike Cl

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 01, 2021, 03:41:46 PM

Third US anti-vaccine radio host dies of Covid-19 in a month - this should have some sort of an impact over there.

Don't count on it.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

No, it wasn't posted.  But it's yet another piece of a growing body (well...bodies) of evidence that skipping the vaccine is a suicidally bad idea.  It's informally known as the Herman Cain award, a specific version of the Darwin Award (Herman Cain famously attended packed maskless political events pre-vaccine and well, you get the idea)

Team Bleach didn't quite take the hint the way most reasonable people would, but of course that's why they're on Team Bleach in the first place.

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp