A new perspective on this thing that we know as God.

Started by od19g6, December 31, 2019, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

od19g6

Hi.
So, I am a theist and I do like to talk about religion and spirituality. This is something that's fun to me and I'm the kind of person that like to hear different views.

Are you interested in having a one on one conversation?

Sal1981

No. Post whatever you have to say here, if you are so inclined.

od19g6

Oh. That's no problem.

I'm actually new here. And one of the links on here says one on one discussion.

So is there a one on one discussion area or do I just have to post in general?

Sal1981

This area of the forums is for one-on-one, yes - but that doesn't mean it supposed to be private.

od19g6

So I  guess I'll start.

So what if I told you that we will never know God completely.

We can only know God through His names and attributes.

Mr.Obvious

In addition to Sal's explanation of the inner workings of our forum, I'd like to add that before a post-count of at least ten, newcomers are not supposed to create any threads apart from an introduction art one.
It's not much of a speedbump, but we do appreciate those who abide by it.

But since you already started this one and, what the heck, it's 2020, I'll oblige. If you told me that, I wouldn't know what to think or respond. Simply because I don't know what you mean by that.

Welcome to our little band of heathens.
Happy new year.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

od19g6

Oh. I don't know that newcomers had to have an introduction.

But thanks for welcoming me.

od19g6

What I mean by that is some ask for physical evidence of God. But the thing is that we will never have physical proof of God. The best proof of God is the human being itself.

In the physical world the human being has the potential to display all of the names and attributes of God at the highest level. That's what makes the human being have dominion over the animal.

The names and attributes of God that the human being displays are basically all of the good qualities that the human being can have. Even though we just don't call them that.

So the best way to know about God is to know the human being.

Sal1981

Quote from: od19g6 on December 31, 2019, 08:17:39 PM
What I mean by that is some ask for physical evidence of God. But the thing is that we will never have physical proof of God. The best proof of God is the human being itself.
How so?

In the physical world the human being has the potential to display all of the names and attributes of God at the highest level. That's what makes the human being have dominion over the animal.
Which god?

The names and attributes of God that the human being displays are basically all of the good qualities that the human being can have. Even though we just don't call them that.
This seems like a trite semantic "argument". I could say the same about, as a certain renowned author once noticed, how a puddle fits itself perfectly.

So the best way to know about God is to know the human being.
So being doctor, biologist and neurologist?

od19g6

Quote from: Sal1981 on December 31, 2019, 09:11:23 PMWhich god?
The God that we commonly know that created the universe and created all living creatures including the human being.
Quote from: Sal1981 on December 31, 2019, 09:11:23 PMHow so?
We will never have physical evidence of God because God is not a physical entity. God created the physical universe.
The human being is the best evidence for God because the human being is the only animal that can manifest God through all the divine names and attributes at the highest level.

Quote from: Sal1981 on December 31, 2019, 09:11:23 PMSo being doctor, biologist and neurologist?
Yes, all human beings have the potential to display all of the divine names and attributes of God at the highest level.

od19g6

Now every living thing can display the names and attributes of God but just some of them and at a low level. But it is the human being that has the potential to display all of the names and attributes of God at the highest level. Basically the human being is the greatest and most perfect of all of God's creations.

Baha'u'llah says in the Kitáb-i-íqán:
"From that which hath been said it becometh evident that all things, in their inmost reality, testify to the revelation of the names and attributes of God within them. Each according to its capacity, indicateth, and is expressive of, the knowledge of God. So potent and universal is this revelation, that it hath encompassed all things, visible and invisible. Thus hath He revealed: “Hath aught else save Thee a power of revelation which is not possessed by Thee, that it could have manifested Thee? Blind is the eye which doth not perceive Thee.” Likewise, hath the eternal King spoken: “No thing have I perceived, except that I perceived God within it, God before it, or God after it.” Also in the tradition of Kumayl it is written: “Behold, a light hath shone forth out of the Morn of eternity, and lo! its waves have penetrated the inmost reality of all men.” Man, the noblest and most perfect of all created things, excelleth them all in the intensity of this revelation, and is a fuller expression of its glory". 

od19g6

Here's another quote from Baha'u'llah about the human being:
"The traditions and sayings that bear direct reference to Our theme are divers and manifold; We have refrained from quoting them for the sake of brevity. Nay, whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth is a direct evidence of the revelation within it of the attributes and names of God, inasmuch as within every atom are enshrined the signs that bear eloquent testimony to the revelation of that most great Light. Methinks, but for the potency of that revelation, no being could ever exist. How resplendent the luminaries of knowledge that shine in an atom, and how vast the oceans of wisdom that surge within a drop! To a supreme degree is this true of man, who, among all created things, hath been invested with the robe of such gifts, and hath been singled out for the glory of such distinction. For in him are potentially revealed all the attributes and names of God to a degree that no other created being hath excelled or surpassed. All these names and attributes are applicable to him. Even as He hath said: “Man is My mystery, and I am his mystery.” Manifold are the verses that have been repeatedly revealed in all the heavenly Books and the holy Scriptures, expressive of this most subtle and lofty theme. Even as He hath revealed: “We will surely show them Our signs in the world and within themselves.” Again He saith: “And also in your own selves: will ye not then behold the signs of God?” And yet again He revealeth: “And be ye not like those who forget God, and whom He hath therefore caused to forget their own selves.” In this connection, He Who is the eternal King... hath spoken: “He hath known God who hath known himself.”

Sal1981

Quote from: od19g6 on December 31, 2019, 10:15:01 PM
Now every living thing can display the names and attributes of God but just some of them and at a low level. But it is the human being that has the potential to display all of the names and attributes of God at the highest level. Basically the human being is the greatest and most perfect of all of God's creations.
Perfect?

Why do humans have worse eyes than octopuses (or pretty much any bird)?, why is the larynx nerve so unnecessarily long? What's the point of having an appendix? Why such shoddy knees?

I could go on, but you get the picture.

od19g6

Well this is not about being physically superior. We already know that animals have superior physical attributes. But the divine reality of the human being is far superior than the animal. We are the greatest and most perfect creation in terms of our spiritual reality. Even though physically we are animals as well, our spiritual reality is far beyond the mere animal and we can manifest God at the fullest.