The Logic of Atheists vs. Theist Arguments

Started by Absolute_Agent, July 31, 2019, 05:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 14, 2019, 01:38:00 PM
Some scientists are of the opinion that science and religion are complementary.  And those particular scientists just happen to be members of the National Academy of Sciences.
Interesting.  Did you know that scientists as a whole are much less likely to be theists than the general public?  (The opposite is true of prison)

Why do you suppose that is?

QuoteAnd they just happened to issue a formal signed document to this effect.
They basically do stuff like that to placate people like you.  Knowledge is power, but the power of mobs of idiots is unrivaled.

Minimalist

The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

aileron

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 14, 2019, 06:02:48 PM
Interesting.  Did you know that scientists as a whole are much less likely to be theists than the general public?  (The opposite is true of prison)

<image snipped>

They basically do stuff like that to placate people like you.  Knowledge is power, but the power of mobs of idiots is unrivaled.

It would be interesting to know how they determined who is a scientist and who isn't for the purposes of that survey. For example, I've seen "scientists" opposing evolution who are pharmacists. One of my fundie relations had me read a book that described a guy with a PhD in mechanical engineering and no scientific experience as a scientist.

In the fundie-land scientist lists, for every Michael Behe on the list, there's some rando with a PhD who's a "scientist" because, y'know, PhD.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! -- President Merkin Muffley

My mom was a religious fundamentalist. Plus, she didn't have a mouth. It's an unusual combination. -- Bender Bending Rodriguez

trdsf

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 14, 2019, 01:45:23 PM
TMI.  I offered you a mathematical discussion the last time and you weren't interested so don't add hypocrisy to closed-mindedness.
Bullshit.  You ran like hell from the obvious contradiction in your position.  Coward.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 14, 2019, 05:44:18 PM
I think this lets religion off the hook too easily. It's making a distinction between an interventionist god and a god of the gaps. It's one thing to say that science is or should be silent on the god of the gaps, but it's quite another thing to say why it is or should be silent.

The god of the gaps is a hypothesis. Any hypothesis that has to be highly fine tuned and ad hoc rescued over and over again deserves no serious consideration from science. Why exclude this hypothesis?

My personal experience says ... "god of the gaps" is atheist apologetics.  It doesn't match my spiritual experience.  But it does work for moderate atheists.

Again, atheists put literalist fish in a barrel and shoot them.  Have you no compassion?  And no, not the most brilliant argument.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 14, 2019, 06:02:48 PM

Correct.  And more Dems smoke pot.  But you won't catch me smoking it.  Used to be most doctors recommended menthol cigarettes.  Experts are .. of limited utility except when you really need one.

In the US, the highest income group is Hindus.  Jews are only second highest.  So as crass materialists that you are, y'all should convert to Hinduism or Judaism ;-))

Did you realize that you agreed with me, that all democracy should be abolished?  Mob rule.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: aileron on August 14, 2019, 06:48:32 PM
It would be interesting to know how they determined who is a scientist and who isn't for the purposes of that survey. For example, I've seen "scientists" opposing evolution who are pharmacists. One of my fundie relations had me read a book that described a guy with a PhD in mechanical engineering and no scientific experience as a scientist.

In the fundie-land scientist lists, for every Michael Behe on the list, there's some rando with a PhD who's a "scientist" because, y'know, PhD.

Religious categories are equally iffy.  In Japan almost everyone has two, Shinto and Buddhism.  Shinto is for life, Buddhism only for blessing new cars (death traps) and for funerals.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 14, 2019, 06:58:17 PM
  It doesn't match my spiritual experience. 

But your brain lost a few wheels, how's that spiritual?

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 14, 2019, 07:08:56 PM
But your brain lost a few wheels, how's that spiritual?

Blind men consider the Sun to be a myth.  You are probably the most blind person here.  Not that I hold any prejudices toward the handicapped.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Absolute_Agent on August 14, 2019, 01:45:23 PM
TMI.
I consider 72 virgins to be TMI.  That's just plain creepy, and I'm bothered you think that's a good thing.

And what kind of hypocrite do you have to be to think that your (asserted but entirely unproven) afterlife should be all about 72 virgins, especially considering Islamic attitudes towards sex in THIS life, which is the only one we actually know we have?

If (there isn't, but for the sake of argument if) there's any sort of afterlife, I want it to be cruising around the universe unfettered by physical laws so I can check on planets in different galaxies, poke my head inside black holes to see what's going on in there, spend whatever time there is learning more about what actually is.

And all you can think about is 72 virgins.  Pathetic.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 14, 2019, 07:28:49 PM
Blind men consider the Sun to be a myth.  .

Blind men would feel the sun, and besides nobody looks at the sun. So tell me more about your "spiritual" experience. Did god speak to you??

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 14, 2019, 07:36:59 PM
Blind men would feel the sun, and besides nobody looks at the sun. So tell me more about your "spiritual" experience. Did god speak to you??

There you go again  - Ronald Reagan.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 14, 2019, 07:39:28 PM
There you go again  - Ronald Reagan.

So I have to conclude that your spiritual experience is just bullshit...

Baruch

Quote from: josephpalazzo on August 14, 2019, 07:45:58 PM

So I have to conclude that your spiritual experience is just bullshit...

I came to doubt you totally last time around.  Please don't make me have flashbacks!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

josephpalazzo

Quote from: Baruch on August 14, 2019, 07:56:07 PM
I came to doubt you totally last time around.  Please don't make me have flashbacks!

Your silence on spiritual experience speaks for itself...