News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Intellectual Vice ...

Started by Baruch, March 20, 2019, 07:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

The innumerate (my ex for example).  Some people don't get numbers.  Sometimes they are covering for a disability.  We had a sergeant who got thru 20 years of service, hiding severe dyslexia ... to avoid getting discharged.  And she wasn't a very nice person to talk to either.  Same first name as my ex.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Talk sense to a fool and they call you foolish- said someone famous...a long time ago...or not so long ago.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on June 06, 2019, 08:54:21 AM
Talk sense to a fool and they call you foolish- said someone famous...a long time ago...or not so long ago.

Isn't there something about not arguing with fools because people might not notice the difference?  Well, in my case, I had to correct the error.  And of course, it WAS corrected.  Even the managers who could barely divide 100 by 10 understood.  I helped craft the correction to the next report,  It got weasel-worded of course.  The good part was that no one really cared.  The bad part was also that no one really cared. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 06, 2019, 09:32:42 AM
Isn't there something about not arguing with fools because people might not notice the difference?  Well, in my case, I had to correct the error.  And of course, it WAS corrected.  Even the managers who could barely divide 100 by 10 understood.  I helped craft the correction to the next report,  It got weasel-worded of course.  The good part was that no one really cared.  The bad part was also that no one really cared.

Military guys are a bit more rooted in pragmatism.  Other government departments are ... hard to pin down.  I can see there would be departments where you couldn't tell up from down (because it is all a matter of arbitrary policy).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on June 06, 2019, 12:03:27 PM
Military guys are a bit more rooted in pragmatism.  Other government departments are ... hard to pin down.  I can see there would be departments where you couldn't tell up from down (because it is all a matter of arbitrary policy).

My Dad was the top civilian in a department at an army base co-equal with a rotating senior Colonel (forget the exact term for the rank, but he was the one who could tell the other Colonels to get the coffee for the Generals).  He said the politics there were as bad as anything he ever saw in civilian agencies.  In fact, he was offerred a supergrade at the Pentagon and turned it down.  As in "no way in hell, buddy"!  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!