News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Knitting, Crochet, Quilting

Started by Smartmarzipan, June 20, 2013, 12:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smartmarzipan

Does any one else here do any of these? I love knitting, tried crochet (and failed), and I'd like to get into quilting/sewing. So...anyone?
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

WitchSabrina

I sew.  I do not knit nor crochet.  Never learned.   But one old fashioned thing I do is hand embroidery.  Teaching it to my granddaughter, too.
I do stuff like this:

I also know how to quilt.  But only know how to by hand.  I've not made a quilt in years.  Last quilt I made was a baby quilt for my grandson - which I also embroidery on - name, day of birth, etc.

Embroidery is the most relaxing, best therapy I have next to gardening.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Smartmarzipan

Oh, I'd love to get into embroidery. I have a lot of neat ideas, but I have no idea where to begin. If I can sit on the couch and do it like knitting, I'm sure I'd enjoy it. I've already made more scarves than I know what to do with....

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"Oh, I'd love to get into embroidery. I have a lot of neat ideas, but I have no idea where to begin. If I can sit on the couch and do it like knitting, I'm sure I'd enjoy it. I've already made more scarves than I know what to do with....

Embroidery may be easier than you think.  And the back and forth of the stitch is like therapy to unwind your day, I swear.  Get some plain white or offwhite broadcloth and cut a square - draw an image of it of your choosing.  You can even print out a pic of something you like and just using tracing paper make the outline of the image for yourself on the cloth.  Stretch (but not too tight) into the wooden embroidery hoop then follow easy stitch instructions you can find online.
http://pinterest.com/pinesnpickets/embroidery-stitches/

My grandmother taught me and according to her there's only One rule in embroidery --- the Back of your stichery needs to be as neat and tidy as the front (although of course not the actual image).   It's the proof that you're steadily stitching in proper fashion.
That's the only real tip I know to share with you.

this is where I buy embroidery floss (floss is by hand and 'thread' is if you're going to use a machine)

http://www.joann.com/dmc-linen-embroide ... /prd29127/

They say machine is easier - and I'm sure it would be - but where's the Art in that?  The art is taking a plain piece of fabric that just lays there - uneventful and unimaginative and bringing it to life using some floss.

Oh - and I suggest you work with three strands.   Every floss comes 5 or 6 strands together.  You separate by pulling it apart making it not so thick to work with (stitches are neater)  I also buy 6 and I sew using three.   Three is enough to get it done well but not so thick that it looks lousy.

good luck.
let me know if I can help.  Once you get the hang of something like what they call a satin stitch --- you'll see how relaxing it can be.
You should do an embroidery of your wedding announcement............. cheesy yes........ but timeless.

Some hand crafts never go out of style.  And although hardly anyone hand embroideries any more.....  it is still viewed as a classic form of art still passed down generation to generation since the middle ages.  (embroidery began in the 1100s in Italy to decorate fine lady's garments)

Smartmarzipan

Maybe I'll try it tonight. I have did buy a hoop and some floss a while ago, but never made the attempt. Thanks for the tip on separating the floss, I probably would not have done that.

As for my knitting, this is a braided scarf I've finished but I still need to put fringe on the ends.

I'm trying to put together a bunch of things to sell at a festival this fall.

Solitary

I've sewed the buttons on my pants and shirts, and sewed up holes in my socks. Does that count?  8-)  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

the_antithesis

I used to make latch hook rugs. It's kind of like basket weaving.

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "the_antithesis"I used to make latch hook rugs. It's kind of like basket weaving.

I've always wanted to make a basket. That would be awesome. My house would be full of baskets. :)

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"Maybe I'll try it tonight. I have did buy a hoop and some floss a while ago, but never made the attempt. Thanks for the tip on separating the floss, I probably would not have done that.

As for my knitting, this is a braided scarf I've finished but I still need to put fringe on the ends.

[ Image ]

I'm trying to put together a bunch of things to sell at a festival this fall.

that is beautiful!!!   I would buy that.  
You need a DYI Etsy web page for your goodies, girl.   Your photography alone could sell and you could start a vacation fund from your website.   I don't think you give yourself enough credit for these *little* hobbies you do on the side.

Of course - who am I telling?  I don't ever sell my embroidery work and I certainly don't take it for hire.

Solitary - dunno bout your socks, man.  If'n it was artfully done - then yes indeedie :-D

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"
Quote from: "the_antithesis"I used to make latch hook rugs. It's kind of like basket weaving.

I've always wanted to make a basket. That would be awesome. My house would be full of baskets. :)

I tried that.  (So wanted to dial back to medieval times........ dont ask)   Basket weaving was not for me - cut my hands up something fierce it did.  OUCH.  And I learned how to spin on a spinning wheel.......  um........ yeah.

So........ I'll buy antique baskets if I need them authentic.  And my house IS full of baskets (much to my poor husband's chagrin)  and I'll let someone else actually MAKE the fabric.

I like to make things - but fuck - not from it's original state.  LOL

I plan next winter to do some art using Batik.  That's using wax and dye to create art. I want to do a wall piece of water lilies.  And I don't want to paint them..........  I want to create them using overlapping dyes.

like this

Farroc

I tried knitting with one of those circular hand looms once. I made me me a preeeetty comfortable pair of socks.
"The idea of getting a, y\'know, syringe full of heroin and shooting it in the vein under my cock right now seems like almost a productive act." -Bill Hicks

surly74

not allowed around sharp objects.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

Smartmarzipan

Quote from: "surly74"not allowed around sharp objects.

They're not that sharp. In fact, I think they allow knitting needles on planes.....

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Smartmarzipan"

I mean it's the sort of thing mental patients should be made to do to keep them occupied.

Aroura33

The knitted braid scarf is really cool!

I wanted to share my coral reef project crochet, it was for charity, but I didn't get a group large enough together to make a donation.  If anyone is interested in working on making crocheted corals, I would love to get back into it!  Discovered the hyperbolic crochet thing on a TEDTalks.

I also sew most of my own clothes now, and a lot of my daughters as well.  Here is one of my favorite woven blouses:

And a knitted dress:

I sew all the time.  Almost daily.  If you guys want to make some sort of AF knitting/crochet/sewing circle, I'm in!
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy