News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Typing Pi on a Computer Keyboard

Started by SGOS, September 30, 2018, 11:10:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Ever wonder how to do this?  I can envision rare occasions when you would want to, so I googled and found the answer.  In addition to the pi sign, there are a host of other fun symbols to print like ☺♥ ↕.  Here's how to type pi, but it comes out looking kind of wonky on the forum's text editor, and it looks like this "Ï€".  This only works on a desktop.  For a laptop without a number pad you have to do something different.  Directions for laptops or Macs can be found here.  At a desktop do this:

1. Press NumLk on your PC's keyboard.
2. Press and hold Alt.
3. Type 227 with the number pad.
4. Release Alt.

...and you get Ï€.  But that's only in this forum.  If you try typing it into a different file like a text file or a word processor, it comes out looking like the traditional pi sign. 

Starting with 1, Pi is far down on the list of useful symbols at NUM LOCK ALTERNATE 227.  You would think it would come sooner, but guess what number 1 is?  It's a rudimentary happy face ☺.  Go figure.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Alt II should be banned from all keyboards ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 30, 2018, 11:20:27 AM
♫ Alt-14

I can't get your method to work with out pressing num lock 1st.  If I don't, I go back to the most recent topic.

Sal1981

SGOS

Draconic Aiur

I'm sure there is a actual keyboard application for this

Sal1981

Cavebear

Cool!    But it doesn't seem to work on my Mac.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2018, 09:28:33 AM
Cool!    But it doesn't seem to work on my Mac.
Directions for laptops or Macs can be found here.

Edit:  ...can be found in the first post.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 01, 2018, 09:48:33 AM
Directions for laptops or Macs can be found here.

No "here" there...  LOL!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on October 01, 2018, 09:55:19 AM
No "here" there...  LOL!
Yeah, some of those sites aren't all that helpful.  I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work on some PCs either.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 30, 2018, 12:59:48 PM
I can't get your method to work with out pressing num lock 1st.  If I don't, I go back to the most recent topic.
Different computers or keyboards. I have dedicated arrow keys, so Num Lock is always on.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on October 01, 2018, 10:52:43 AM
Yeah, some of those sites aren't all that helpful.  I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work on some PCs either.
He meant there was no link.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 01, 2018, 12:08:16 PM
He meant there was no link.

2 Points for Gawdzilla!  But I could look it up.  In fact I will.  I didn't know that was where the musical note symbols came from and I want to use them on my blogs.

https://marksmews.blogspot.com/
http://cavebearslair.blogspot.com/