Sarah Jeong, its okay to be racist to white people.

Started by Munch, August 11, 2018, 08:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Turns out historians say Marie Antoinette likely never said the line, it's just that the phrase had been floating around for a while before the revolution and it spread claiming she said it due to her affluent lifestyle.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on August 12, 2018, 03:12:45 AM
See! Pure emotion.

I find it fascinating you think this is an insult.

Pure emotion would be continuing to lash out because I am annoyed. I have realised that arguing with some of you is nothing more than an exercise in "pure emotion" because I know unequivocally you will disagree with me even when I agree with you. Therefor there is no logical reason to continue other than to feed that emotion.

Mostly though, I just wanted to say I find it fascinating that emotion is such a dirty word around here, and I don't really believe it's "an atheist thing" since two of the greatest atheist/non-theist speakers I can think of (Alan Watts/Carl Sagan) who have influenced my world view would probably find such a sentiment absolutely ridiculous.

QuoteDefending what she said is the same as defending some old white guy calling a bunch of black dudes Niggers.

Case in point of blowing things out of proportion. Nowhere was her rhetoric even remotely of the same level of offensiveness of that nor does her social position allow her to say something that would be that offensive.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GrinningYMIR

Doesn’t matter, if she said all white people  should be stuck on a rocket and shot into space or sterilized or that only white peolle commit genocide, it wouldn’t be seen as racist.

It’s not okay to be white.
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Shiranu

Yes it would, yes it definitely would, and no it wouldn't... but only because it is just stupid.

Yes, it is.

None of those come close to using the N word as a derogatory term for African Americans.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 12, 2018, 05:07:18 PM

Case in point of blowing things out of proportion. Nowhere was her rhetoric even remotely of the same level of offensiveness of that nor does her social position allow her to say something that would be that offensive.

You don't get to pick and choose what you deem acceptable levels of racism. Or maybe you want to read up on the statistics on suicide rates in america since 2000 based on race.

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

Yeah, theres a higher percentage of white america's that kill themselves only closely matched by american indians, so having some cunt in a national newspaper spreading race hate online doesn't promote wellbeing for these kinds of people.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Shiranu on August 12, 2018, 05:07:18 PM
I find it fascinating you think this is an insult.

Pure emotion would be continuing to lash out because I am annoyed. I have realised that arguing with some of you is nothing more than an exercise in "pure emotion" because I know unequivocally you will disagree with me even when I agree with you. Therefor there is no logical reason to continue other than to feed that emotion.

Mostly though, I just wanted to say I find it fascinating that emotion is such a dirty word around here, and I don't really believe it's "an atheist thing" since two of the greatest atheist/non-theist speakers I can think of (Alan Watts/Carl Sagan) who have influenced my world view would probably find such a sentiment absolutely ridiculous.

I find it funny that you proved my point and then said your world is backed up by scientists when you just had a hissy fit.

Must be that nag in your brain when you saw my analytics posts that was so infuriating when backed up with facts from a textbook and other sources I got to make such an essay and analytic point. Just when I made the post, you deleted your previous points and had a hissy fit. And now you come back with that itchy brain syndrome to say you are logical and sane with your higher sense of PC SJW understanding that makes you a bit of an ass than us "regular" atheists.

Your being emotional. I have been there.  Learn to stop thinking with emotion and more with rational thought.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Munch on August 11, 2018, 08:29:12 PM
I'm guess I'm just curious on how some of my left leaning fellow atheists (or theistic following) here feel about this, since it covers some pretty high levels of hypocrisy.

I agree with Ben Shapiro's point that employers shouldn't succumb to social media mobbing and fire employees based on offensive online comments. There are people who would deem some comments made on this forum to be as morally reprehensible as anything Jeong posted and just as worthy of termination. I see a contradiction in people who say they value freedom of speech but want Jeong fired for her tweets.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 13, 2018, 06:05:14 AM
I agree with Ben Shapiro's point that employers shouldn't succumb to social media mobbing and fire employees based on offensive online comments. There are people who would deem some comments made on this forum to be as morally reprehensible as anything Jeong posted and just as worthy of termination. I see a contradiction in people who say they value freedom of speech but want Jeong fired for her tweets.

Correct.  And $&$^%^ you too ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 13, 2018, 06:05:14 AM

Guess that means trump can say anything he likes on social media then without criticism?

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Munch on August 13, 2018, 07:37:05 AM
Guess that means trump can say anything he likes on social media then without criticism?

Trump can say whatever he likes and people can call him out if they don't like it. Criticizing the POTUS is a great American pastime.

Munch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 13, 2018, 08:03:42 AM
Trump can say whatever he likes and people can call him out if they don't like it. Criticizing the POTUS is a great American pastime.

and yet, they fired the director of guardians of the galaxy 3 for a tweet he said 10 years ago, despite him apologizing for it.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on August 11, 2018, 08:29:12 PM
So anyone not bothering to watch, Sarah Jeong is a newyork times editor or tech worker or something, who wrote out some very racist tweets, but targeted at white people, and been doing so for years. She being of Asian decent herself, you can't even in this context claim it was just white self loathing, this was flat out racism.

I'm guess I'm just curious on how some of my left leaning fellow atheists (or theistic following) here feel about this, since it covers some pretty high levels of hypocrisy.
For the record, yeah, it seems racist to me.  It also seems inappropriate for a journalist.  I'm surprised the New York Times defends her.  Not that a lot of white people aren't dicks.  Fanning the flames of racism never leads to good, no matter if it's the majority or the minority doing it.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Munch on August 13, 2018, 08:28:34 AM
and yet, they fired the director of guardians of the galaxy 3 for a tweet he said 10 years ago, despite him apologizing for it.

I agree with you he should not have been fired due to a Twitter mob, in fact, that is my entire point. Instead of using laws to suppress free speech groups of people are trying to silence individuals who express unpopular or offensive opinions by threatening his or her employment. This creates a chilling effect where people fear to speak lest they incur the wrath of the mob. It also puts employers in the inappropriate position of having to be arbiters of morality, deciding when and how to punish individuals for a perceived offense that often is not directly related to how the individual does his or her job.

Munch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 13, 2018, 12:27:31 PM
I agree with you he should not have been fired due to a Twitter mob, in fact, that is my entire point. Instead of using laws to suppress free speech groups of people are trying to silence individuals who express unpopular or offensive opinions by threatening his or her employment. This creates a chilling effect where people fear to speak lest they incur the wrath of the mob. It also puts employers in the inappropriate position of having to be arbiters of morality, deciding when and how to punish individuals for a perceived offense that often is not directly related to how the individual does his or her job.

the broader aspect of this is that we are currently in a time where, as example, people like james gunn will get fired for a tweet he made years ago, where as someone like this NY times editor will not despite still making offensive tweets, which can't be denied has to come down to identity, or identity politics. If this editor was a white person making such offensive tweets, they would have been fired on the spot, but because its an korean woman, she gets praised for being racist.

The current era has so much of this, this handwaving, where you can say whatever you like or not based purely on nothing more then your skin color or place of birth. To me thats a crock of shit, because its making very obvious derision and favoritism based on arbitrary things. I don't care if the others are a minority or majority, as said, it should be the same rules for all, either everyone can say whatever they like, or nobody can say anything out of place.

But we know we're not living in that time right now, like we weren't living in it back in the 1800s, with racial segregation.

(and here now comes certain individuals offended by that statement because they can't see's the comparisons)