News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

This is huge: *current* liquid water on Mars.

Started by trdsf, July 25, 2018, 03:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

We MUST have manned missions to Mars so we can have Trump brand Martian Mineral Waterâ,,¢Â® available in your grocers freezer before the next presidential election!  And don't forget that big beautiful wall around all known water on Mars to keep undesirables from stealing what's rightfully his..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

It doesn't seem to be an active volcano, but rather left-overs from a recent dust storm. It is near a volcano, however. But I don't think it's active.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

No, Mars is geologically inactive, so far as we know.  They're going to be landing an ultrasensitive seismometer there next month on the Mars InSight mission.  There's no known tectonic activity or active volcanoes, but there may be some geological settling going on; depends on how long ago the core cooled.  There's only a remnant of the original magnetosphere, west of the Tharsis volcano complex and centered over the southern hemisphere, so there's probably only a few hotspots left in the Martian core, no actual liquid flow.  Without a molten core and mobile mantle, there can be no tectonic plate movement.

Anyway, even if most of what InSight is going to sense are meteor impacts, those will help provide infomation on Mars' core.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on October 29, 2018, 12:28:04 AM
No, Mars is geologically inactive, so far as we know.  They're going to be landing an ultrasensitive seismometer there next month on the Mars InSight mission.  There's no known tectonic activity or active volcanoes, but there may be some geological settling going on; depends on how long ago the core cooled.  There's only a remnant of the original magnetosphere, west of the Tharsis volcano complex and centered over the southern hemisphere, so there's probably only a few hotspots left in the Martian core, no actual liquid flow.  Without a molten core and mobile mantle, there can be no tectonic plate movement.

Anyway, even if most of what InSight is going to sense are meteor impacts, those will help provide infomation on Mars' core.

Then how to explain that ... liquid water?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

It's never aliens...unless it's aliens:

Could 'Oumuamua be an extraterrestrial solar sail?

This is a bit off topic, but I didn't see a better place for it, and didn't think it needed a new thread all its own.

I personally doubt that Oumuamua was an alien solar sail, but I could certainly be wrong.

What do y'all think?
God Not Found

Gawdzilla Sama

Not enough cross-section to be a sail unless the payload was tiny. Remember Mote in God's Eye? MacArthur's pilot thought they were about to attack a moon. The ship itself, cut free from the sail, fit into Mac's hangar bay neatly. (Impact damage excepted, of course.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Well, the simple solution is to catch up with it and examine it closely.  We have about ten to twenty thousand years before it leaves the Sun's sphere of gravitational influence...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on November 06, 2018, 11:04:16 PM
Well, the simple solution is to catch up with it and examine it closely.  We have about ten to twenty thousand years before it leaves the Sun's sphere of gravitational influence...
The raccoons can go out and take a look.
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Quote from: trdsf on November 06, 2018, 11:04:16 PM
How fast would a probe have to move to catch up to it?
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 07, 2018, 01:35:39 PM

Greater than 42km/sec from Earth distance to Sun ... is escape velocity from the Solar System.  So assuming the probe is going at least that fast, then the catch up vehicle has to be going even faster.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 07, 2018, 01:35:39 PM
If it wasn't bound to an elliptical solar orbit, the Parker Solar Probe could do it easily.  It's the fastest space probe ever now, having reached a velocity of 213,500mph (about 60 miles a second) or 95.4 kilometers per second.  'Oumuamua is moving at a relatively stately 26.3 km/s -- which is quite a bit faster than our fastest outward-bound probes, the Voyagers, Pioneers and New Horizons.  Voyager 1, the fastest of them, is moving "only" 17 km/s.

It turns out that it's possible that we could actually get a probe to it in as little as five to ten years.  It's not as unreachable as we thought.  I think we should drop a probe on it to travel the galaxy with it and at least leave some further notice that we were here.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on November 08, 2018, 07:21:09 PM
If it wasn't bound to an elliptical solar orbit, the Parker Solar Probe could do it easily.  It's the fastest space probe ever now, having reached a velocity of 213,500mph (about 60 miles a second) or 95.4 kilometers per second.  'Oumuamua is moving at a relatively stately 26.3 km/s -- which is quite a bit faster than our fastest outward-bound probes, the Voyagers, Pioneers and New Horizons.  Voyager 1, the fastest of them, is moving "only" 17 km/s.

It turns out that it's possible that we could actually get a probe to it in as little as five to ten years.  It's not as unreachable as we thought.  I think we should drop a probe on it to travel the galaxy with it and at least leave some further notice that we were here.

Humanity should extinct with embarrassment.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on October 03, 2018, 10:56:33 PM
Cats like to keep their spare food supply close ... that is why they check you out.

I'm hoping to die while my cats are outside in Springtime.  Seriously, I don't want my family to discover they ate me.  I wouldn't care, of course, being dead, but it might have a reduction in finding them new homes...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!