Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hi

Started by WingsofRefuge, July 17, 2018, 06:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 19, 2018, 01:25:59 PM
I enjoy reading and watching tvðŸ™, And a cute movie

I am going Saturday to the local theater production of Young Frankenstein.  Trdsf will be there two ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 19, 2018, 01:39:28 PM
Comedy, and an average amount of animation. I enjoy watching a movie with a Faith view too.
I enjoy fiction... however, non-fiction, too! ðŸ˜,

Did you enjoy Joshua (the 2002 movie)?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

WingsofRefuge

Quote from: Baruch on July 19, 2018, 07:16:44 PM
Did you enjoy Joshua (the 2002 movie)?

I haven't gotten the chance to watch that one! I might have to watch it!

Mike Cl

Wings,
the three places one can read the OT 10 commandments:
Ex 31:18
Ex 25:21
Deu 10:2

Read them--what do you think?
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

WingsofRefuge

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 19, 2018, 09:32:48 PM
Wings,
the three places one can read the OT 10 commandments:
Ex 31:18
Ex 25:21
Deu 10:2

Read them--what do you think?

What I think..?
I think I want to learn more! ðŸ™,

Mike Cl

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 19, 2018, 10:14:37 PM
What I think..?
I think I want to learn more! ðŸ™,
Read those three sections of the OT.   It may turn out to be a bit puzzling for you, but I will discuss it if you like.  In fact, I guarantee a bit of a shock for you.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: WingsofRefuge on July 19, 2018, 09:15:37 PM
I haven't gotten the chance to watch that one! I might have to watch it!

Joshua (2002) Several movies of the same name.  That is the best Christian movie of recent times (from an American perspective).  If that Jesus was real, I would certainly support him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mousetrap

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 18, 2018, 02:11:06 PM

255. Was Jacob's renaming irrevocable?
Yes

Gen 32:28

Gen 35:10

No

Gen 46:2
[note: and hundreds of other verses continue to call him Jacob.  In fact,Yahweh is known as the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob - not Abraham, Isaac, and Israel...]

From Biblical Contradictions - by category: History - Old Testament
Jacob Israel.
His children kept his surname!
:cool:
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...
If it does, what a waste!

Atheism, what a wonderful religion, where one believe to believe is erroneous.

Mousetrap

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 18, 2018, 03:06:10 PM
How does one win a wrestling match with the God of the universe in the first place? It's such a bizarre story, and no one seems to have a good answer. It'd be like if the Pencil Pusher beat Superman in a fight, only even more ridiculous. The only explanation I can think of that makes sense is to take it from a fictional perspective. The early Old Testament folks didn't conceive of Yahweh being the omnipotent being he is today. After all, God was afraid to send his troops into battle because the enemy had iron (the bane of magical creatures). So this weaker version of God could conceivably lose in a fight.
Only ridiculous if you believe that YHWH can not enter into His creation as a man.
Ask Baruch, he will tell you about the Jewish scriptures calling this Angel that came to Earth the Metatron.
The Christians call this the Word of YHWH.
Evolution, the religion whereby one believes your children more human, and your parents more ape, than you!

The Human Mind, if it has nothing to do with Evolution...What an incredible entity...

Mousetrap

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 18, 2018, 07:10:03 PM
Yeah, pious lies have been the mainstay of religions from ancient times to modern:

Pious Lies
And Atheists are the only truthful ones.
They dont even lie to them self.

Mousetrap

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 19, 2018, 08:59:41 AM
I offer this one little series of thoughts to explain why I am an atheist.  I remember as a child reading parts of the OT (in bible school) and it says in a couple of places, thou shalt not kill.  Don't know why I settled on that but it got me to thinking.  God is supposed to be the creator of all--everything, past, present and future.  And the bible is part of that creation.  So, the bible is the handbook of how to live as god wants us to.  He demanded that we not kill.  He also crafted nature.  All animals (including humans) have to kill to eat and we must eat to gather energy to live.  Even a strict vegan must kill to live.  Yet plants do not.  They have photosynthesis that allows them to gather energy from the sun.  So, god instructs us to not kill, yet makes it so we must.  Yet he demonstrates with plants that he created a way not to kill to live--solar energy.  That strikes me as not being a very nice guy--to say the least.  This is not the only reason I think god (any and all) are created by man, not the other way around.  God is a handy fiction to supply the 'why' we humans love to seek and for a small group of people to control the larger group.
And perhaps you read the Bible, but forgot what you read a few chapters ago where YHWH clearly stated that He created Man as an immortal being that can not die and lived in a body covered with light because they did not need clothes.
Then this same chapters gives you an explanation of how Satan deceived Man to disobey God, and they lost their immortality and light covered bodies, and started to age, and eventually they died.
Now, you yourself are half dead, like all of us, and we will die.
Not because YHWH created us to die, but because of the mortal bodies our spirit lives in.
I can never understand why Atheists, especially, would blame God for sickness, death and pain.
He never created us in this way in the first instance.

But, this accusation you gave straight out of the Bible is therefore incorrect.
You claimed something clearly not described in the Bible.
If you would claim this on the Moral of YHWH, without using the Biblical description, you are then obviously speaking of another God than what I know.

SGOS

Quote from: Mousetrap on July 20, 2018, 07:15:44 AM
If you would claim this on the Moral of YHWH, without using the Biblical description, you are then obviously speaking of another God than what I know.
That problem is inherent in the case of any non-existent god.  No one has witnessed him in person or witnessed him doing anything.  That's why Christians cannot agree on what God is or what he does or does not do.  Like atheists, theists have no clear knowledge of God, so no two theists are in complete agreement of who he is.  Sometimes they agree and support each other when they do agree on a thing, but when they don't, they leap over the contradiction and act as if there is no disagreement.  Your intimate knowledge of God contradicts other speculations about God as much as the speculations of others contradict yours.

Your contradiction of Mike's interpretation is based on your personal bias and desires.  That is why you and other theists also contradict Biblical scholars as well. And when it's convenient, you contradict literal interpretations of the Bible itself.  Individual's knowledge of God is always personal and tainted by personal emotions and bias.  This is true of Biblical scholars as well as armchair amateurs such as yourself. It's true of atheists as well, because they live in a theist world, and the only information they have about God are the hand-me-downs given them in the theist world.  And what would you expect when a god's existence is dependent on lack of evidence or knowledge?  His existence is dependent on the claims of man, even if they contradict other claims of man.  The contradictions themselves support his existence, because who would be so foolish as to disagree about the qualities of something that does not exist?

That's how theists get caught in their own mousetrap, and the only way to escape is by letting go of unfounded beliefs which are therefore irrelevant and don't matter.  But this is hard to do.

Mike Cl

And perhaps you read the Bible, but forgot what you read a few chapters ago where YHWH clearly stated that He created Man as an immortal being that can not die and lived in a body covered with light because they did not need clothes.
Then this same chapters gives you an explanation of how Satan deceived Man to disobey God, and they lost their immortality and light covered bodies, and started to age, and eventually they died.
Now, you yourself are half dead, like all of us, and we will die.
Not because YHWH created us to die, but because of the mortal bodies our spirit lives in.
I can never understand why Atheists, especially, would blame God for sickness, death and pain.
He never created us in this way in the first instance.

But, this accusation you gave straight out of the Bible is therefore incorrect.
You claimed something clearly not described in the Bible.
That is all just your opinion and nothing more.  I have my opinion.  Your creator god created everything and must have been satisfied with it.  Even your satan was created by your god.  So, to blame anything on satan is to make your god seem quite incompetent, at best.  Satan is as god wants him.  Even if satan is responsible for sickness and pain, god made him that way.  God is responsible more than satan or his minions--which were created by god.  Either your god created everything or he didn't.  If he didn't then he is not much of a creator god.  Clearly your god and all of what you say he created is simply fiction.  You can continue to believe whatever it is you believe---any fiction you want. I know your god is fake--a fiction--for nothing could be that evil.

Unbeliever

Where does it say that the serpent is Satan?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

SGOS

Quote from: Unbeliever on July 20, 2018, 02:03:32 PM
Where does it say that the serpent is Satan?
You mean it was only a talking serpent?  OK, I suppose, but really; A talking serpent?