News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Latest Windows update? Beware.

Started by pr126, April 02, 2018, 02:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pr126

Windows 10 (desktop) has attempted to do an update and failed big time.
It has looped the update and after a long time I have rebooted but it would not boot up to the start screen.

Luckily I do a complete system backup every Sunday.
Managed to restore the system and it is working OK now.

I have disabled the update in the services.msc.

The laptop has also thrown a wobbly with the update, "update failed, restoring the previous state" and booted properly after that. Ditto, disabled update for a while.

Not good.

SGOS

There sure are a lot of updates.  I haven't updated to 10.  I kept getting notices of a free upload, which I disregarded because I've spent so much time getting Flight Simulator to work on 8.1.  Flight Simulator is no longer supported by Windows, so any new version, or updates is not obligated to run Flight Simulator.  Eventually, I expect the simulator to not work at all, even with downloadable fixes or work-arounds  invented by the Flight Sim Community. 

Finally, Windows tricked me into upgrading to 10.  Fortunately, it gave me the option to undo the upgrade, but I had to do it within 30 days.  I undid it during the first week, when I encountered the first problem with my Flight Sim.  But they kept trying to trick me into getting the free windows 10.  Some geek eventually came up with an app that prevented the daily badgering from showing up, and I haven't been bothered since.

Windows will stop supporting Windows 8.1, probably in the near future, and I am dreading the day, because most of the updates for 8.1 are to plug holes used by hackers, and I don't like the idea of being exposed to viruses and malware.  But I never look forward to having to get the lasted version of Windows every two years.  There are some useful bells and whistles you usually get, but also a lot of changes that are more annoying than helpful, like when some software you installed like Microsoft Works Word Processor no longer works, and Microsoft instead wants you to pay for their cloud version every month.

If Flight Simulator ever becomes totally unusable, I'll join the ranks of those using Linux, and be done with Microsoft forever.  Microsoft is annoying.  I don't like that company very much, in spite of how they have advanced the internet.  It's going the way of corporations fucking with the public, and Microsoft seems to want to own the public.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on April 02, 2018, 02:09:49 AM

Windows 10 (desktop) has attempted to do an update and failed big time.
It has looped the update and after a long time I have rebooted but it would not boot up to the start screen.

Luckily I do a complete system backup every Sunday.
Managed to restore the system and it is working OK now.

I have disabled the update in the services.msc.

The laptop has also thrown a wobbly with the update, "update failed, restoring the previous state" and booted properly after that. Ditto, disabled update for a while.

Not good.

Sorry to hear it.  We have Win10 at work, and a few of the work PCs failed (SMS failure really), probably due to incomplete prior patches.  Hope your registry isn't too hosed.  Are you stuck at Win7 or Win8.1?  i initially had problems with patches at home to Win8.1, because I was trying to patch thru Starbucks wifi.  My home wifi is much faster.  So slow thru-put speeds can be an update problem.

We haven't been forced to cloud Office yet, but this is government equipment, we only have to fix it, we don't own it (all taxpayers do collectively).  My home systems are Mac (two major versions behind) and Win8.1.  They are in the same rut of always asking for updates.  Only my third party word processor tries to keep up by checking my version against my OS and their more recent version (Israeli word processor) ... not counting the Apple apps.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I've also noticed that upgrades often aren't fully tested, and sometimes they create glitches like yours.  My system will function with annoying glitches for a few days, and then a new upgrade will fix the glitch, and everything will work again.  I'm not sure if that's what is actually going on because Microsoft never announces that they are fixing one of their own glitches, but I'm guessing that's what happens because the glitches happen after an upgrade, and then stop with the next upgrade.  I suppose it could be a coincidence, but it's happened often enough that I think that's what's going on.

Gawdzilla Sama

Six computers in this house, all running Win1010, no problems.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

pr126

I have the latest Windows 10 and I also have a weekly system back up (3 copies: one on the Synology server with RAID, one on removable media and one on the cloud).
All automated with Aomei Backupper Pro.

Having been in IT support for over 20 years (retired 2004) for a very large company, backing up data is a priority.

It is just an inconvenience of restoring to the last backup. 20 minutes downtime.

I keep the operating system and apps on a 256 Gb SSD and the data on another HDD.
I no longer use MS FlightSim so no problems with Windows 10.
Unless it breaks. 

I am also using Kaspersky Total Security, Malwarebytes Pro, checking for malware daily.
Finally, Ipvanish VPN.

Mike Cl

I am still running win 7 after a brief period of using 8.1 (hated that!!).  I will use win 7 until it stops running the games I have and/or does not run new games coming out.  I dread the day I have to change to win 10--but it is coming. Hate, hate, hate, hate..................................................
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 02, 2018, 09:18:41 AM
I am still running win 7 after a brief period of using 8.1 (hated that!!).  I will use win 7 until it stops running the games I have and/or does not run new games coming out.  I dread the day I have to change to win 10--but it is coming. Hate, hate, hate, hate..................................................
I've used Win1010 for years now, no problems. I suspect the problem for a lot of people is as simple as a loose nut behind the keyboard.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

PickelledEggs

I thought the latest update let you disable the spyware services...

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 02, 2018, 10:43:17 AM
I've used Win1010 for years now, no problems. I suspect the problem for a lot of people is as simple as a loose nut behind the keyboard.
I suspect it is the 'loose nut' on the keyboard in my case.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on April 02, 2018, 09:18:41 AM
Windows 7 was the last most workable  system for Flight simulator, which was designed to run on Windows XP.  With every new version of Windows a new glitch shows up.  So far there have been workarounds.  Scenery design, which is one thing I've enjoyed and requires design programs and tools from aftermarket manufacturers have taken a hit with each version after XP.  They are still useable, but require twice as much time, and have developed odd idiosyncrasies that make the process more complicated.  For some reason, the aftermarkets haven't bothered to come out with updates to keep up with changes in Windows.  I'm guessing the flight sim community is dying out and it's not as profitable for the makers of these tools. 

I have a copy of Windows XP, and have considered installing it on a dedicated computer for simming and older games, but then I wonder if XP would run on the much hotter computers available today.  But I already have two computers and a shit load of accessories, and I'm trying to cut back.  OK, I'm not trying that hard, but at some time, I'm going to have to think about it.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on April 02, 2018, 11:59:10 AM
Windows 7 was the last most workable  system for Flight simulator, which was designed to run on Windows XP.  With every new version of Windows a new glitch shows up.  So far there have been workarounds.  Scenery design, which is one thing I've enjoyed and requires design programs and tools from aftermarket manufacturers have taken a hit with each version after XP.  They are still useable, but require twice as much time, and have developed odd idiosyncrasies that make the process more complicated.  For some reason, the aftermarkets haven't bothered to come out with updates to keep up with changes in Windows.  I'm guessing the flight sim community is dying out and it's not as profitable for the makers of these tools. 

I have a copy of Windows XP, and have considered installing it on a dedicated computer for simming and older games, but then I wonder if XP would run on the much hotter computers available today.  But I already have two computers and a shit load of accessories, and I'm trying to cut back.  OK, I'm not trying that hard, but at some time, I'm going to have to think about it.
My 'flight simulator' is the Fallout series of games.  If win 7 keeps working, then I'll keep using win 7.  If I can ever figure out how to apply mods to those, then that will be it--nirvana!

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on April 02, 2018, 08:47:23 AM
I have the latest Windows 10 and I also have a weekly system back up (3 copies: one on the Synology server with RAID, one on removable media and one on the cloud).
All automated with Aomei Backupper Pro.

Having been in IT support for over 20 years (retired 2004) for a very large company, backing up data is a priority.

It is just an inconvenience of restoring to the last backup. 20 minutes downtime.

I keep the operating system and apps on a 256 Gb SSD and the data on another HDD.
I no longer use MS FlightSim so no problems with Windows 10.
Unless it breaks. 

I am also using Kaspersky Total Security, Malwarebytes Pro, checking for malware daily.
Finally, Ipvanish VPN.

What old version were you running of Win ... when you upgraded?  It might be easier to update to 8.1 first, then update to 10.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

pr126

it was 7, then 8, then 8.1 finally 10.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on April 02, 2018, 01:00:11 PM
it was 7, then 8, then 8.1 finally 10.

Ok, scratch that idea ;-(  Probably messed up registry, yikes!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.