The Left are Coneheads, and they aren't even from France ...

Started by Baruch, August 22, 2017, 07:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 26, 2017, 06:59:09 PM
I spent two weeks living out of a sleeping bag once, too.  It was during my National Guard two weeks training--close to Barstow, CA, which is close to Death Valley.  No, I did not re-up.

Yes, I hear Fort Irwin is hot stuff.  That is where Patton trained his men in 1942, before going to N Africa.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2017, 06:50:28 PM
So I have gathered ...

"Spent 6 weeks in a sleeping bag once." ... took that long for the pissed off scouts to let you out of the bag? ;-))

I could joke that the girl scouts wouldn't let me out, but I won't.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 26, 2017, 07:12:35 PM
I could joke that the girl scouts wouldn't let me out, but I won't.

They couldn't ... she was in the bag with you, right?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 26, 2017, 07:05:31 PM
Yes, I hear Fort Irwin is hot stuff.  That is where Patton trained his men in 1942, before going to N Africa.
It may be.  But we were NG and the Reg. Army commander would not allow us on post, except to go through if we must to get to a particular training ground.  No shower for two weeks and sleeping bags to sleep.  If that bag had been mine I'd have burned it after those two weeks.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 26, 2017, 08:45:39 PM
It may be.  But we were NG and the Reg. Army commander would not allow us on post, except to go through if we must to get to a particular training ground.  No shower for two weeks and sleeping bags to sleep.  If that bag had been mine I'd have burned it after those two weeks.

No, you open the sleeping bag and expose it to the campfire.  That kills the lice and fleas.  Warms it up nicely in cold weather too.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 03:33:49 AM
No, you open the sleeping bag and expose it to the campfire.  That kills the lice and fleas.  Warms it up nicely in cold weather too.
What campfire???  This was NG training, not a camping trip. We lived mainly on MRE's (which aren't bad, really--much better than C rations)--only had 3/4 hots the entire 2-week stay.  Finally go a shower in the last 2 days.  Needless to say, this 2-week summer training did not help the re-enlistment rate for the unit--they lost me.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 31, 2017, 06:54:42 PM
What campfire???  This was NG training, not a camping trip. We lived mainly on MRE's (which aren't bad, really--much better than C rations)--only had 3/4 hots the entire 2-week stay.  Finally go a shower in the last 2 days.  Needless to say, this 2-week summer training did not help the re-enlistment rate for the unit--they lost me.

If you had just joined the Marines, you would have eaten nails for breakfast, and liked it ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2017, 08:48:54 PM
If you had just joined the Marines, you would have eaten nails for breakfast, and liked it ;-)
Never had a single moment in my life when I wanted to be a Marine.  Saw a chilling sight when I was going thru the Oakland Induction Center; one has to go thru a bunch of crap and papers to be inducted into the Army, even if drafted.  As I had just finished and was waiting for the bus to take the group I was in to the airport to go to Ft. Lewis for basic, a group of about 40/50 guys were brought up short and told by a Marine DI to get into a long line.  He had them count off in 5's.  He then had all the 1's step forward.  He then said one of the most chilling statements I've ever heard--"Congratulations, you are now all Marines!  Follow me!"  Drafted into the Marines!  Sent shivers up my spine then--and now. 

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 31, 2017, 06:54:42 PM

You can get almost anything organic to burn.  In Boy Scouts, I whittled dry twigs into "pinecones", medium stems into shaves and debarked them, and larger pits of wood into splits pounding them with large stones.

I set the fire with flint and steel.  But I have since started fires with drill bows.  I've never managed just spinning a stick in a hole in wood, but that really does require 2 people.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on September 03, 2017, 09:20:58 PM
You can get almost anything organic to burn.  In Boy Scouts, I whittled dry twigs into "pinecones", medium stems into shaves and debarked them, and larger pits of wood into splits pounding them with large stones.

I set the fire with flint and steel.  But I have since started fires with drill bows.  I've never managed just spinning a stick in a hole in wood, but that really does require 2 people.
It was not a matter of not having matches--I really do prefer matches--but orders to not start any fires.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 03, 2017, 10:11:07 PM
It was not a matter of not having matches--I really do prefer matches--but orders to not start any fires.

Expose the sleeping bag to ants for a day then.  They will clear out the pests...  Kick the anthills and drop the bag on it...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 03, 2017, 10:27:23 PM
Expose the sleeping bag to ants for a day then.  They will clear out the pests...  Kick the anthills and drop the bag on it...

Is the cure worse than the disease?  Sounds like you are an Apache to me.
s
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 03, 2017, 10:31:17 PM
Is the cure worse than the disease?  Sounds like you are an Apache to me.
s

Ants are easier to brush out of a week-old sleeping bag than fleas and lice.  Practical experience...