News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

EARTH vs. ISLAM

Started by Validus, June 10, 2013, 08:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason78

Quote from: "aitm"Surely this thread is not heading to a shit fest. Surely not.

I find your optimism heartwarming :D
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

WitchSabrina

I'm fascinated when I see pictures from Turkey.........  

I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Solitary

From the internet:

Turkey is a Eurasian country and has Ankara as its capital. The country stretches from the Anatolian peninsula in western Asia to Thrace (Rumelia) in the Balkan region of southeastern Europe. It is because of this strategic location of Turkey that it has become blessed with a unique blend of Eastern and Western traditions The country stands surrounded by eight countries, namely Bulgaria, Greece, Georgia; Armenia, Azerbaijan, Iran, Iraq and Syria. The Mediterranean Sea and Cyprus fall to the south of Turkey, while the Aegean Sea and Archipelago are in its west and Black Sea in the north. To get some more interesting information on Turkey, read on.

Fun & Interesting Facts about Turkey:

Turkey is officially known as the 'Republic of Turkey'.

Turkey is a democratic, secular, unitary and constitutional republic.

The Republic of Turkey was founded on October 29, 1923, under the leadership of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.

Turkey is a member of the Council of Europe (1949), NATO (1952), OECD (1961), OSCE (1973) and the G20 industrial nations (1999).

Turkey became an associate member of European Union 1963 and reached a customs union agreement in 1995.

The capital of Turkey is Ankara, while its largest city is Istanbul.

The major religion of Turkey is Islam, while its official language is Turkish. Kurdish, Dimli and Azeri are also spoken in the country.

The monetary unit of Turkey is New Turkish lira.

The part of Turkey in Europe is called 'Thrace', while the part in Asia is called 'Anatolia'.

The highest peak in Turkey is Mount Agri (5,166 m). It is also said to be the place where Noah's Ark came to rest.

The largest lake in Turkey is Lake Van.

Anatolia, the part of Turkey that is in Asia, was settled by Ionians (Greeks from Attica). It houses the Classical Greek Ionic column.

The Temple of Artemis (Diana), one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, was in Ephesus.

The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus, in southwestern Turkey, was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.

St Paul (Saul) was born in Tarsus, situated to the east of Mersin.

Istanbul, initially Constantinople, was the capital of the Byzantine Empire and the Ottoman Empire.

St. Peter's Church, situated in Antioch (Antakya) - Turkey, is the first church built by man.

St. Nicholas was born in Demre, on the Mediterranean coast of Turkey.

It were the Turks who introduced coffee to Europe.

Istanbul is the only city in the world that is spread over two continents.

Cherry was first introduced to Europe from Giresun (Northern Turkey).

All the 'Seven Churches' of Apocalypse are situated in the Aegean region of Anatolia, namely Ephesus, Smyrna (Izmir), Pergamum, Thyatira (Nazilli), Sardis, Philadelphia (Alasehir) and Laodicea.

The oldest known human settlement is in Catalhoyuk, Turkey (dating back to 7th millennium BC).

It was in ancient Anatolia that writing was first used by people.

The oldest tin mine in the world has been found in Göltepe, 60 miles to the south of Tarsus.

Turkey is the only secular Muslim country amongst all the Muslim countries in the world.

Turkey is one of the few countries in the world that is agriculturally self-sufficient.

There are approximately 9,000 species of flowers in Turkey, out of which 3,000 are native.

Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Shiranu

You didn't name a smart Turks. You lose.

(Okay, fine you named Ataturk... but fuck you, that's why.)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solitary

This topic goes on tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow, and creeps in this petty pace from day to day to the last syllable of recorded time. And all its yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death. Out! Out! Brief candle, life's but a walking shadow told by a poor player that struts frets its hour upon the stage and then is heard no more. We can hope.  :popcorn:  Solitary

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"I didn't know a few of them.

QuoteThe oldest known human settlement is in Catalhoyuk, Turkey (dating back to 7th millennium BC)

But there is an update related to this. We posted this link a few times before. This is 6000 years older than Stonehenge. I want to see that.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... -tepe.html

I don't know what to say about Turks in general. I had to unlearn a lot about them just in the last two weeks. I thought something was dead in them, I was wrong.  :shock:

Needlessly to say there are many backwards things in the country too.
Quote from: "drunkenshoe"I didn't know a few of them.

QuoteThe oldest known human settlement is in Catalhoyuk, Turkey (dating back to 7th millennium BC)

But there is an update related to this. We posted this link a few times before. This is 6000 years older than Stonehenge. I want to see that.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-a ... -tepe.html

I don't know what to say about Turks in general. I had to unlearn a lot about them just in the last two weeks. I thought something was dead in them, I was wrong.  :shock:

Needlessly to say there are many backwards things in the country too.

But doesn't every country have good and bad?  (As it should be)  Not like I can go America Bragging without someone being justified in pointing out our idiots and our massive mistakes.   So.....
No country is perfect because no ONE is perfect.

my two cents worth you asked for not  (Yoda speak)

Solitary

God is perfect you dumb witch! signed: Jesus H. Christ.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Solitary"God is perfect you dumb witch! signed: Jesus H. Christ.

Listen jebsus:  I realize that you've got a reputation to uphold but you're going about it all wrong.  What you need to do is show up and have a little visit-poo with the human race if you want your deal to hold water.  Your gig is simply outdated.  So make an appearance and turn a few barrels of water into wine, make some blind people see again and revamp your mind warp.  Your followers are getting more and more bizarre and not worth paying attention to.  Only the really weird make the headlines nowadays and those priests are not pious but self righteous altarboy fondlers.  Not pretty.  
I think it was YOU who said 'he without sin can cast the first stone'.   Want I should start to throw rocks at you?
Clean up your gig, man.  Get er done.  All this hocus-pocus just makes us witches look all the more sane for doing our own holy whatnots without your help. And daddy? Daddy is just an absentee landlord.

Fidel_Castronaut

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Why do we spell Turkey differently? .

Because she's foreign  :popcorn:
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Solitary

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
Quote from: "Solitary"God is perfect you dumb witch! signed: Jesus H. Christ.

Listen jebsus:  I realize that you've got a reputation to uphold but you're going about it all wrong.  What you need to do is show up and have a little visit-poo with the human race if you want your deal to hold water.  Your gig is simply outdated.  So make an appearance and turn a few barrels of water into wine, make some blind people see again and revamp your mind warp.  Your followers are getting more and more bizarre and not worth paying attention to.  Only the really weird make the headlines nowadays and those priests are not pious but self righteous altarboy fondlers.  Not pretty.  
I think it was YOU who said 'he without sin can cast the first stone'.   Want I should start to throw rocks at you?
Clean up your gig, man.  Get er done.  All this hocus-pocus just makes us witches look all the more sane for doing our own holy whatnots without your help. And daddy? Daddy is just an absentee landlord.

Hey! Give me a break, I saved the cross from the Twin Towers didn't I. Dog. Sorry! I'm dyslexic.

Colanth

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Why do we spell Turkey differently?  Am I using the Americanized version? Or am I just out of date as to the correct way to spell the name of your country?
Memo to me.......   I DO need a new globe.  Not sure I know the world anymore.
Why do we call it Spain, not Espana?  Why do we call it Germany, not Deutchland?  Why do we call it Turkey, not Turkye?

Every language has its own version of place names.  They change from language to language.  It's been this way through recorded history - and probably since before that.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Shiranu

Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Why do we spell Turkey differently?  Am I using the Americanized version? Or am I just out of date as to the correct way to spell the name of your country?
Why do we call it Spain, not Espana?  Why do we call it Germany, not Deutchland?  Why do we call it Turkey, not Turkye?

Every language has its own version of place names.  They change from language to language.  It's been this way through recorded history - and probably since before that.

Damn... I do call Deutchland Germany and not Deutchland...

(To be fair to me, Germany sounds better...)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

DunkleSeele

Quote from: "Colanth"

Because it's España, Deutschland and Türkiye?  8-)

(Just teasing, Colanth...)

Solitary

:rollin:   [-X   Bill

DunkleSeele

Quote from: "Solitary":rollin:   [-X   Bill
I know, I'm such an asshole... :(  :wink: