News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

EARTH vs. ISLAM

Started by Validus, June 10, 2013, 08:36:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aroura33

Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"As for the OP, and the overall discussion:

Is Islam a problem? Yes! The doctrines and philosophy causes and/or is used to excuse/command a lot of human suffering it would otherwise be hard to find justification for. Though all religions are problematic, yes, even the ones promoting peace Islam is currently the religion causing the most amount of damage.

Is Islam the biggest problem in the world? Hardly. What about poverty? What about hunger? What about lack of pure drinking water? What about essentially every government in the world lying and being corrupt to one degree or another? And there are a lot of categories like "intrusive governments" or "lack of education", etc. that would just as easily take a lot of the blame for the problems caused in Islamic countries that many will connect to the religion no matter what. This is a very complex picture, and there are a lot of different factors contributing to terrible situations all around the world.

Should Islam be fought? Yes! Intelectually rather than militarily of course. You can't shoot an idea, and ideology wise Islam is far more lucid than say Nazism. There are legions of muslim moderates, or muslims almost just in name only no more dangerous or problematic than Christian, Jewish, etc. moderates. But then I didn't say we should fight muslims, I said we should fight Islam, and then I am speaking of the doctrines within Islam. They need to be destroyed intelectually, and Islam need to see a broader moderation, just like Christianity in the west. And this will probably not be that far away. In say 50-100 years when the quality of life and resources in Islam-dominated countries are increased they are likely to follow the same model we have seen time and time again everywhere else. Education, questioning and opportunity are the key.
Also, all of this.  It was nice to read a post that addressed the original topic very well.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "Shiranu"Your question is inherently both flawed and bigoted, but instead of being a man and accepting it you throw a hissy-fit and act like a 10 year old who can't get his way.

There is no speculation in this, this is not a tangent; you propose a flawed argument that is by its nature bigoted, then there is no obligation for me to answer it. This doesn't therefor prove you are correct, it simply shows your question is wrong.

The question was right as it proves you know sweetfuckall about Turkey. A simple google search on Turkey and history would have screamed the name Atarturk. It would be like saying Abe Lincoln or George Washington to an American.  He is an icon in Turkey, a great reformer who put Turkey on the map after its crushing defeat in WW1. But I couldn't figure out if you were dense, ignorant or you have embraced a political correctness that went awry. I believe it's all three in your case. You sound like those idiots upon hearing any criticism of Israel, the word "anti-semitism" comes out of their mouth. Do you have any idea how many people criticize the US on any given day? Of the 7 billion people on this planet  about half or 3.5 billion criticizing the US. Are they bigot according your mental retarded brain? It's part of daily life to criticize anyone's culture, country, religion or  belief you happen to disagree with.

BTW, I have been twice to Turkey. I can show you pictures of me and my wife shopping in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul or just strolling along the streets of Oran, or Ephesus. Over the years, I have taught dozens of young lads from Turkey. I kid around with them, they kid around with me.

Perhaps in a few months you will realize you've been had. I gave you enough rope to hang yourself, and you did a good job all by yourself.

Ciao bambino. Have a long and prosperous life.

Solitary

Quote from: "Solitary"No comment accept this:

My last name is Lindblad and sounds like Sinbad, I know more than one Tukish person male and female from being at science and mathematic conferences in my day, and they are all smarter than any American I know, or knew, accept Stephen Hawking and Richard Feynman, and just maybe even John Rousopolous a friend from way back when.

Janet Akyüz Mattei

Paris Pi?mi?

Ali Akansu

Selman Akbulut

Cahit Arf

Attila A?kar

Kerim Erim

Feza Gürsey

Masatoshi Gündüz Ikeda

Mehmet Nadir

Salih Zeki

Arif Salimov

Halil Mete Soner

Ay?e Soysal

Tosun Terzio?lu

Ali Ülger

Turgay Uzer

Dogan Abukay

Ismail Akbay

Engin Ar?k

Bülent Atalay

As?m Orhan Barut

Nihat Berker

Gökhan Budak

Durmus A. Demir

Hilmi Volkan Demir

Ordal Demokan

Tekin Dereli

?smail Hakk? Duru

Feza Gürsey

Ziya Burhanettin Güvenç

Ataç ?mamo?lu

Erdal ?nönü

Behram Kur?uno?lu

Ekmel Özbay

Turgay Uzer

Ahmet Y?ld?z

Oh! I'm sorry, that's more than one.  :oops:   :rollin:  Bill

What, no acknowledgment for my list of the very intelligent Turkish top scientist and mathematician I've known from the past, and a few now.  I feel so avoided and lonely, it must be the meds.  8-[  :)  :-D  :rollin:   8-)  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Plu

QuoteIn our last issue, we named the world's top 100 public intellectuals and asked readers to vote for those they deem most deserving of the top honors. Now, 500,000 votes later, we reveal the results of the reader poll. Plus, members of the Top 100 name the intellectuals they believe should have made the list.

Yeah, the article? Probably not very accurate.

(For starters, the list seems to be missing Stephen Hawking but includes Ayaan Hirshi Ali, when I'm pretty sure that the former is widely considered the greatest genius alive and the latter is just your average politician)

Not to mention that the list is "public intellectuals", which means that all the real intellectuals probably aren't even on it, since most of them spend their time working on stuff instead of building their public image.

Now I wouldn't say that any of the people on this list aren't smart (and so it easily disproves joseph's non-point, although I really can't see why anyone bothers because if he'd been a theist he'd have been banned by now for being a bigoted arsehole) but I wouldn't exactly call a list of "public intellectuals" the same as a list of "greatest intellectuals".

aitm

Quote from: "Jmpty"Not enough westerners on the list for you, I guess, as we all know that the west is the center of the universe.

I am sure it is as accurate and factual as any survey taken at Oral Roberts University would include Oral Roberts, Jimmy Swaggart and Billy Graham as intellectuals or perhaps in Lousiana may have David Duke at the top of the list.

I like how the article also mentions that many actually pretty much begged for votes...unbiased I am sure.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

josephpalazzo

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "drunkenshoe"Aww, what's wrong? You don't like to be patronised and treated as an ignorant? What a coincidence, most people don't.

As it is written in the post, my statement IS based on those studies mentioned. If you are going to claim something about it please inform yourself immediately. I cannot lower my standards to teach you common knowledge.

So asking you for your clarification is asking you to lower your standard?!? Wow, your logic is all screwed up. No wonder Turkey never produced any great scientists or mathematicians. Worse, you're still in denial of the Armenian genocide. But with the kind of logic you're demonstrating, it's no wonder your country is all screwed up.

He wrote this? :rollin:

I hate to break this to you joseph, but you are not as smart as you think. The 'logic demonstrated' in that post belongs to you. It's written to ridicule your common attitude. And your answer is not just pathetic, it is also hostile and bigoted.

What is "you're still in denial of the Armenian genocide" doing in this conversation? Do you know my opinion on the subject? Am I a government official? What's your logic here, if you have any that is?

I hate to break this to you  but it's too bad you didn't take the trouble to read the whole thread. Like Shir, you've been had with your high horse of political correctness.

But your post is correct in one tiny part -"it is hostile". That's what was my intention, and that's because after  I  had ever replied to one of your post for the very first time, and all you could think is get on your high horse to give me a "morality" lesson, why because I was rude to somebody else, which had absolutely nothing to do with you, and showed you didn't know all the facts why I had been rude to that person, which means not only your political correctness is off the radar but you are gullible, impulsive to rush to judgment and full of shit.

Shiranu

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"
Quote from: "Shiranu"Your question is inherently both flawed and bigoted, but instead of being a man and accepting it you throw a hissy-fit and act like a 10 year old who can't get his way.

There is no speculation in this, this is not a tangent; you propose a flawed argument that is by its nature bigoted, then there is no obligation for me to answer it. This doesn't therefor prove you are correct, it simply shows your question is wrong.

The question was right as it proves you know sweetfuckall about Turkey. A simple google search on Turkey and history would have screamed the name Atarturk. It would be like saying Abe Lincoln or George Washington to an American.  He is an icon in Turkey, a great reformer who put Turkey on the map after its crushing defeat in WW1. But I couldn't figure out if you were dense, ignorant or you have embraced a political correctness that went awry. I believe it's all three in your case. You sound like those idiots upon hearing any criticism of Israel, the word "anti-semitism" comes out of their mouth. Do you have any idea how many people criticize the US on any given day? Of the 7 billion people on this planet  about half or 3.5 billion criticizing the US. Are they bigot according your mental retarded brain? It's part of daily life to criticize anyone's culture, country, religion or  belief you happen to disagree with.

So because I refused to answer a flawed question, I therefor knew nothing about the people referred to in the country? That I was expected to Google search Mustafa Kemal Ataturk and tell you about his establishment of the Secular Republic of Turkey (Turkiye Cumhuriyeti) in the 1920s (22-23' IIRC)? That because I didn't answer your flawed question, I obviously know nothing about Turkiye, even though it is in the Middle East... an area I have studied the culture and history of for quite awhile now? And given that it, Iran and Israel are my three favorite histories and cultures in the region... your right, I sure as shit don't know anything about Turkiye :roll:...

If you wanted me to give you a history lesson on Turkiye, I would have been fine with that. Maybe if you weren't on YOUR high horse you would notice this. I didn't answer you because you are a condescending asshole who asks a flawed and bigoted question that is not worthy of being answer, and what is response? "LOL NO U DA BIGOT!". THAT is why I didn't answer you. I doubt you will get off your own ego pony long enough to realize that though.

QuoteTW, I have been twice to Turkey. I can show you pictures of me and my wife shopping in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul or just strolling along the streets of Oran, or Ephesus. Over the years, I have taught dozens of young lads from Turkey. I kid around with them, they kid around with me.

Perhaps in a few months you will realize you've been had. I gave you enough rope to hang yourself, and you did a good job all by yourself.

Ciao bambino. Have a long and prosperous life.

"Look guys, I have black friends so I can't be racist!"

(Personally, I don't think you are. But your question was, so...)

Yeah, you sure had me... asked a flaw question, get called on it, and reply, "LOL NO U!". You SUREEEEEE got me, teach...

What ever, if you feel like you won and that makes you feel good... by all means, enjoy your victory. You deserve it. Congrats.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Plu"josephpalazzo is a troll, a Poe, or just a huge bigot. I'm honestly not sure, but none of these solutions are really a good outcome.

Wow - so a couple of us called it on day one? lol  Good job Plu.
(not to mention he has zero sense of humor so won't last here)
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

WitchSabrina

In case anyone cares - Drunzie lives in Turkey and I think she's pretty smart.  I don't have to google some list of who-evers out there in Turkey to name a smart person.  I already know her.

*shakes head*
Troll/trouble maker should be ignored.  He's just NP with a slightly better vocab and some math under his belt. Big Whoop! Not even creative enough to warrant this much attention.   We've had far more interesting trolls here before.

*yawn*

aitm

Surely this thread is not heading to a shit fest. Surely not.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Plu

QuotePlu is right though.

Of course I am  8-)

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"I really don't care or find offensive that someone thinking Turkiye not producing any scientists and present this as some sort of an accusation. The country cannot provide anything needed for its gifted citizens and not just for science, but to be successful and use their potential in the best way possible, they immigrate to united states. My sister is one of them for example. I also had the chance to meet one of those real brains immigrated to the US, because he is my father's classmate from university. We call that brain immigration. I have been called many names because I support what these people do. Good for them.

But the disgusting thing here is trying to attack someone with the place she was born in. That's the very definition of fascism.

I criticise every country's international policy harshly. To me Turkiye, US , Isreal, UK, France, Iran this and that country HAS NO DIFFERENCE when it comes to politics and policies, its government and state. They all have the same mechanism. But I never see or treat American people or this and that people responsible from any result of the policy their government forced upon them. On the contrary, I see -it's hard not to- that the same bullshit is going every square meter of this planet. For example, majority of my country's population is constituted of people I described above as 'American Idiot'. I also tried to emphasize this countless times by telling that states and govs do not serve for people that problems are the same problems everywhere with different makes ups and scales from rape to media and from freedom of speech to government manipulation.  

People should be able to see that people are same everywhere, but just the scale, quality of oppression and power of the system they live under changes.

And thank you Bri.

You're welcome.   Why do we spell Turkey differently?  Am I using the Americanized version? Or am I just out of date as to the correct way to spell the name of your country?
Memo to me.......   I DO need a new globe.  Not sure I know the world anymore.

aitm

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Why do we spell Turkey differently? .
Fuck Turkey if they don't have people smart enough to spell it right.

:popcorn:

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Why do we spell Turkey differently? .
Fuck Turkey if they don't have people smart enough to spell it right.

:rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:

oops

:-"

Shiranu

Quote from: "drunkenshoe":lol: Well Bri, I keep typing it that way automatically, because it's easier for me as it is almost exactly written like that in Turkish. Türkiye. And also doesn't sound like a bird or a food name. Shiranu, adopted it a little I guess. So the name hasn't changed.

Yeah,  I try to spell countries as people from there would,  not the westernized versions. And it looks better as well...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur