News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Simple Question...

Started by Validus, June 10, 2013, 08:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Validus

So......am I the only Buddhist/Atheist around here?
"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes also into you." ~F. Nietzsche (1844-1900)

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Validus"So......am I the only Buddhist/Atheist around here?

Buddhist as in following some of the beliefs or practices but Not worship of the Buddha?  Just curious.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Validus

I've studied Buddhism and all the religions & philosophies of the world for more than 20 years.

Having said that, I think than much of what passes under the banner "Buddhism" has very little to do the teachings of Siddartha Gautama. When looking at the oldest accounts of his teachings [Dharma] we find that he was a man who had no use at all for the supernatural and really created the first psychology in history. He was concerned with human suffering and the mind....not with metaphysics or afterlives.

I hope that answers your question.
"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes also into you." ~F. Nietzsche (1844-1900)

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Validus"I've studied Buddhism and all the religions & philosophies of the world for more than 20 years.

Having said that, I think than much of what passes under the banner "Buddhism" has very little to do the teachings of Siddartha Gautama. When looking at the oldest accounts of his teachings [Dharma] we find that he was a man who had no use at all for the supernatural and really created the first psychology in history. Her was concerned with human suffering and the mind....not with metaphysics or afterlives.

I hope that answers your question.

It does.   And I'm not judging you - just curious.  I find many who don't often understand what Buddhism is.  Don't think they go back far enough to grasp the real history.
I've studied Lots of religions since the 70s........  even tried a few on.  My most recent was paganism - which I've still not completely eradicated from my system entirely.   Believe me - I'm in no position to judge anyone.   lol
The only people I get nasty/frisky with are christians who want to sell me jesus or try to convince me of their god with stories of rainbows as their proof or bananas have handles and whatnot.  LOL
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Plu

There's one other guy with a difficult name who also seems to be a buddhist/atheist.

Jmpty

I'm more of an Atheist/Buddhist.
???  ??

Solitary

I am, but not about modern Buddhism, but what was taught by Buddha originally and not the various schools that have been corrupted by Christianity, and Hinduism that thinks he is a god. He never taught to pray, he never thought what he taught was divinely inspired, there were no rituals or religious icons, there were no commands written in stone or absolute rules to follow, that he should be worshipped, and he thought later in his years that death (Para nirvana) was like blowing out a candle (I received a lot of flack from modern Buddhist that he didn't mean non existence, and that the Western mind can't understand what he said.) but that's their interpretation,) there were no demons, or ghost,  etc. It was just a good philosophy to live by, and still is.  :-D  Welcome back! Solitary AKA Bill  

PS I wrote this before I read the other posts or what Validus posted. And I too have studied all the religions, bibles, Scriptures, myths, and philosophies for over fifty years. It seems most people just have to have a spiritual leader and believe in superstitious nonsense and magic. Ignorance is bliss it seems.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Solitary

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"

Buddhist as in following some of the beliefs or practices but Not worship of the Buddha?  Just curious.

Your just upset you can't sacrifice the chicken now.  :wink:   Bill

Validus

Quote from: "Solitary"

I am, but not about modern Buddhism, but what was taught by Buddha originally and not the various schools that have been corrupted by Christianity, and Hinduism that thinks he is a god. He never taught to pray, he never thought what he taught was divinely inspired, there were no rituals or religious icons, there were no commands written in stone or absolute rules to follow, that he should be worshipped, and he thought later in his years that death (Para nirvana) was like blowing out a candle (I received a lot of flack from modern Buddhist that he didn't mean non existence, and that the Western mind can't understand what he said.) but that's their interpretation,) there were no demons, or ghost,  etc. It was just a good philosophy to live by, and still is.  :-D  Welcome back! Solitary AKA Bill  

PS I wrote this before I read the other posts or what Validus posted. And I too have studied all the religions, bibles, Scriptures, myths, and philosophies for over fifty years. It seems most people just have to have a spiritual leader and believe in superstitious nonsense and magic. Ignorance is bliss it seems.

I believe it is far more useful to look at the Buddha for what he was, a great thinker much like Socrates and Spinoza.  To reduce him to 'merely the founder of a religion' I find limiting and ultimately idiotic.  I've often said that were the Buddha to walk into a Zendo or a Buddhist Temple, he would not recognize it as having anything at all to do with him....and after being informed of its purpose I suspect he would recoil in horror.

Colanth

Didn't the Buddha say that one should question everything - even his statement that one should question everything?

That doesn't sound like a religion to me.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Validus

Quote from: "Colanth"Didn't the Buddha say that one should question everything - even his statement that one should question everything?

That doesn't sound like a religion to me.

Well, in the Sutras the Buddha says that one should not take his teachings or anyone else's on simple faith...rather one should investigate, test, and see if it's true.  So in essence yes, he did say that.  His attitude was similar to Socrates in that regard.

Aupmanyav

Duplicate.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "Validus"When looking at the oldest accounts of his teachings [Dharma] we find that he was a man who had no use at all for the supernatural and really created the first psychology in history. He was concerned with human suffering and the mind....not with metaphysics or afterlives.
There is no harm in venerating Buddha since he is one of the wisest of men. Such veneration pulls one's mind to his teachings. The other person whom I venerate is Adi Sankara. I do not worship them as Gods, I am a strong atheist, but veneration is not worship. I also venerate Einstein, Planck, Heisenberg, and many other scientists. I venerate Bismillah Khan, Naushad, and M.S. Subbulakshmi for their life-long devotion to Indian music.
Quote from: "Solitary"Your just upset you can't sacrifice the chicken now. :wink:  Bill
:rollin:
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Doubtful_1

I am not a Buddhist because I drink beer and yada yada yada, but I do love Buddha for his teachings and his unwillingness to speak of God, even when asked.

Solitary

Quote from: "Doubtful_1"I am not a Buddhist because I drink beer and yada yada yada, but I do love Buddha for his teachings and his unwillingness to speak of God, even when asked.

That was the point Buddha was making. He didn't say you "can't" drink intoxicating drinks, just avoid them so you have a clear mind. So drinking doesn't mean you can't be a Buddhist. Also, modern Buddhist schools have added drugs to that list of shall not's. Solitary