Theist:Why do you think God does not exist what are your reasons?

Started by John Paul, November 26, 2016, 04:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerider

"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Sorginak

Quote from: John Paul on November 26, 2016, 04:53:34 PM

While this evidence may seem circumstantial, think about a house, you don't see the builder or architect within it, but it's very reality attests to it. 

The very reasonable difference being that I can actually track down the builder of that house, touch him, and point out to the rest of the world that he is the builder of that house.

The same cannot be stated for god, the so-called creator of life as we know it.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 06:46:52 PM
The very reasonable difference being that I can actually track down the builder of that house, touch him, and point out to the rest of the world that he is the builder of that house.

Excellent (said Emperor Palpatine) ... can you track down Lincoln and cross-examine him?  If not, the Lincoln is like a god ... and he is too!

Humans build houses ... if humans are demigods, then at least as members of the class of G-d ... then the building of a house is a divine act.  And that is why mezuzot are attached to doorways by observant Jews.  In ancient times, in Babylonia, the king of Babylon, at the dedication of a public building, would include a foundation brick, with appropriate approbations to the Babylonian gods.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 07:14:26 PM
Excellent (said Emperor Palpatine) ... can you track down Lincoln and cross-examine him?  If not, the Lincoln is like a god ... and he is too!

There is actual evidence existing in the world today that Lincoln was a real person.  The same cannot be stated for Jesus. 

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 07:16:21 PM
There is actual evidence existing in the world today that Lincoln was a real person.  The same cannot be stated for Jesus.

There were many people named Jesus in ancient times.  Even more of them in Mexico today.  Lincoln may or may not have existed ... you can't prove it ... and I can easily bet that Lincoln you think of, wasn't the Lincoln that was.  How could it be?  You never knew him.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 07:38:22 PM
There were many people named Jesus in ancient times.  Even more of them in Mexico today.  Lincoln may or may not have existed ... you can't prove it ... and I can easily bet that Lincoln you think of, wasn't the Lincoln that was.  How could it be?  You never knew him.

Lincoln's existence is very much provable by the fact that there are documented photos of him. 

During a time when gods were made marble, where is the statue of Jesus?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 06:46:52 PM

As I stated elsewhere before, the very fact that the house stands out as something obviously designed defeats the argument. In an environment filled with grass, trees, a mountain in the distance, an ocean to the east, and a house in the middle, the house stands out. That's because the house is designed by human hands. The rest is not.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Sorginak

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 12, 2017, 07:49:25 PM
As I stated elsewhere before, the very fact that the house stands out as something obviously designed defeats the argument. In an environment filled with grass, trees, a mountain in the distance, an ocean to the east, and a house in the middle, the house stands out. That's because the house is designed by human hands. The rest is not.

Good golly gee, I have been converted.

Hardly.

The earth was created by natural means following the Big Bang.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 07:53:19 PM

Hardly.

I get the feeling you did not fully comprehend my post. I was agreeing with you.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 07:53:19 PM

Hardly.

And materialists illogically argue, that humans are also natural, so all our creations are also natural, just like glaciers and the like.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Quote from: Baruch on February 12, 2017, 08:12:29 PM
And materialists illogically argue, that humans are also natural, so all our creations are also natural, just like glaciers and the like.

Materialists do not care about humans.  They care about what they own.  Unless you are referring to Colonial life where they owned slaves.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on February 12, 2017, 08:14:47 PM
Materialists do not care about humans.  They care about what they own.  Unless you are referring to Colonial life where they owned slaves.

I was speaking to Blacklead's argument with you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sorginak

Blackleaf

That is the weird thing about the definition of "natural." It means that humans didn't design it, and nothing supernatural designed it either. If a wasp builds a nest, it's natural because an animal designed it. But humans are animals, so what's the difference between a wasp's nest and a human's house? I suppose it's a definition of convenience. If we read "100% natural honey," we don't really care if bees made the honey. We just want to know if humans tampered with it somehow.
--Fulke Greville--

sdelsolray

Please identify the irrationality, illogic or whatever problem you have with defining or identifying homo sapiens as natural.

You will likely have to step out on a limb and define some terms here.  That could limit your future ability to dodge, weave or obfuscate.