News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

why are you an atheist?

Started by randomvim, September 11, 2016, 03:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 13, 2018, 01:28:34 PM
Hell, they don't just burn unbelievers, they burn or torture anyone who believes differently than they do, or whomever they mistake for such:

Religion is bad, there's nothing at all good about any of it. I'm glad to know at least a few people who recognize that fact.

Bruno, burned alive by idiotic religious fanatics.  Hypatia, flayed alive and the Library burned.  I hate those people!  They are the ones still around seeking to diminish THIS and THAT and EVERYTHING, fearing knowledge.  How do such horrible people crazy lunatics still exist?

They continue to exist because there is religion frightening them every day from every street corner.  They are people of small minds and huge fears.  I see no value to them unless dystopia happens and I run out of food.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 18, 2018, 04:44:29 AM
Bruno, burned alive by idiotic religious fanatics.  Hypatia, flayed alive and the Library burned.  I hate those people!  They are the ones still around seeking to diminish THIS and THAT and EVERYTHING, fearing knowledge.  How do such horrible people crazy lunatics still exist?

They continue to exist because there is religion frightening them every day from every street corner.  They are people of small minds and huge fears.  I see no value to them unless dystopia happens and I run out of food.

Yeah, eggheads, always opposed to law-and-order ;-)

When are we going to see you bear breasted in silver skin paint, Marianne Bear?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on December 18, 2018, 07:13:53 AM
Yeah, eggheads, always opposed to law-and-order ;-)

When are we going to see you bear breasted in silver skin paint, Marianne Bear?

Watt?  (he said brightly)

Unbeliever

Quote from: Cavebear on December 18, 2018, 04:44:29 AM
Bruno, burned alive by idiotic religious fanatics.

But first they cut out his tongue and threw him into a dungeon for nine years.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 18, 2018, 01:43:33 PM

Free speech doesn't imply freedom from incarceration.  That is free institutional speech.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Churches don't give a flying fuck about any speech aside from their own.

Fuck all religitards.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

trdsf

I think I would like to re-approach the original question: why am I an atheist?

Because the only "therefore" you can follow "I don't know" with is not "god", it's "we need to do more research."
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on December 18, 2018, 10:52:02 PM

Because the only "therefore" you can follow "I don't know" with is not "god", it's "we need to do more research."
Yeah.  Most supernatural claims certainly suffer from a paucity of imagination.

Crop failure -> witchcraft

Is there any other reason why crops might fail?  There are a bunch of obvious prosaic reasons before we even get to the exotic, hypothetical explanations.  But man, anyone can come up a near infinite number of those.  Just off the top of my head:  ice zombies, false sunlight, cow conspiracy, earth wurms (>80ft long cryptids), improperly perfumed watering sources, odd-number headcount of colonists, glitch in the simulation, a lack of field spheres, and finally, a glitch in the simulation.

After we confirm/disconfirm all of that, then we can look into magical abilities granted to mortals by demons as the cause of this calamity.

Baruch

Quote from: Minimalist on December 18, 2018, 08:18:42 PM
Churches don't give a flying fuck about any speech aside from their own.

Fuck all religitards.

Authoritarians are like that, including Left authoritarians.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 18, 2018, 11:11:17 PM
Yeah.  Most supernatural claims certainly suffer from a paucity of imagination.

Crop failure -> witchcraft

Is there any other reason why crops might fail?  There are a bunch of obvious prosaic reasons before we even get to the exotic, hypothetical explanations.  But man, anyone can come up a near infinite number of those.  Just off the top of my head:  ice zombies, false sunlight, cow conspiracy, earth wurms (>80ft long cryptids), improperly perfumed watering sources, odd-number headcount of colonists, glitch in the simulation, a lack of field spheres, and finally, a glitch in the simulation.

After we confirm/disconfirm all of that, then we can look into magical abilities granted to mortals by demons as the cause of this calamity.

Or use more drugs.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Minimalist

Quote from: Baruch on December 20, 2018, 11:59:25 PM
Authoritarians are like that, including Left authoritarians.

You are free to say whatever you like.  I may think you are an asshole for doing so but that is the risk you take.
The Christian church, in its attitude toward science, shows the mind of a more or less enlightened man of the Thirteenth Century. It no longer believes that the earth is flat, but it is still convinced that prayer can cure after medicine fails.

-- H. L. Mencken

Cavebear

Quote from: Unbeliever on December 18, 2018, 01:43:33 PM

I didn't know that.  Well, I knew about the dungeon time, but not the tongue.  Forgive me, but do you have a reference for that?

Cavebear

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on December 18, 2018, 10:52:02 PM

"I don't know, so it must be God" is the first resort of the uninformed.  And sadly, the last resort of too many people today.  Human ignorance is staggering sometimes.