News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

why are you an atheist?

Started by randomvim, September 11, 2016, 03:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on September 17, 2016, 10:51:42 AM
While the Bible is filled with literally hundreds of disgusting and immoral commands, it's best for the lay people to disregard those parts, just as the true believer does.  It probably means something other than what it literally says and only a true believer can comprehend that something incomprehensibly disgusting is really inspiring and praise worthy.  God would never inspire a goat herder to write something more befitting of Satan.  That's not how God is.  God is perfect goodness, and everything he offers us is true, divine, and therefore perfectly good.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 17, 2016, 06:11:41 AM
A collection of tall tales told to keep the priests from having to actually work for a living.
Yeah. It's kind of like Paul Bunyan and the Blue Ox..... except it has more incest and murder. Both have giants, though

trdsf

Why am I an atheist?  Because there's no evidence to be anything else.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on September 18, 2016, 04:35:40 AM
Why am I an atheist?  Because there's no evidence to be anything else.
BUT! You have the evidence of the Universe! The Cosmic All! How can you not be a believer in a power higher than yourself who created all this crap just to make you feel special?

Seriously, some people.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Why am I an atheist?  Because the Norse Gods are out of favor where I live.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: randomvim on September 16, 2016, 06:34:16 PM
well doing and being justified for what I am doing is different. or so I would consider it to be.  anyone can think this or that with out having a reason to think it or to be "justified" for thinking it.

a person that is justified in their action or thinking would carry some support for their thought or action.

though a person can be absent of all evidence and still have a  belief or disbelief - would that not be an appeal to ignorance?
1.good use of "spiritual emporial unification" I smiled a bit.

2. even with the last man being correct in his statement. the truth to the situation may still be unknown or in your favor. myself and the others may still be incorrect and you correct just because the support you provided was found to be unreliable by opinion. where as the evidence that supports your situation ... supports your claim would still be unknown.

That last man can still hold a neutral stance on the situation as to whether or not you would pertain a ghostly appetite for conquest.

Sorry Edit: that one man can call out all support for or against your claim as b.s. but still logically only hold one stance because of his inability to make a positive or negative claim. that stance is neutral.  no opinion.

3. I almost want to start a thread just for sarcastic descriptions of a ghost inhabiting a human.
sorry this one doesn't work for me. I heard this story which adds to why it doesn't work.  the example also describes a physical thing that can only be portrayed or examined in a limited way. either you feel it or you don't.
I roll off what I propose above. I believe there is misunderstanding as to why a person is as they say they are.

swell to see a comment towards why a person is as they think they are, but I would not consider provided explanation as justification for a negative claim.

oh well. swell talking.

Thank you, I try to talk in an entertaining way. Especially when making longer posts. I often fail miserably, I think. So it's nice to hear.
Though I'm not talking as swell as I'd like. Or you would realize I'm not making a negative claim. That's exactly the point; I'm not going to make a negative claim. You might make a positive one. And if you don't support it well, I'm happy to point out why your positive claim is supported. But I'm not going to superimpose a negative claim just because you don't provide any valid evidence for your positive one. And in not making a negative claim, i.e. God doesn't exist, but at the same time not finding the positive claim valid, I fall back into the position of 'not seeing evidence for God', which makes me an atheist; because I have no reason to believe in a God.
Maybe if I were a better talker, I wouldn't be spending three posts trying to explain the burden of proof.

Also, sorry to hear the emperor's clothes doesn't work for you. It's actually, if you don't mind me saying it, a pretty good analogy in my opinion. Maybe you could point out exactly what it is that you think doesn't fit. Your reply was a bit vague on that, I feel.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Atheon

Why am I an atheist? Because I don't believe in god(s).
Why don't I believe in god(s)? Because there's no reason to.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

randomvim

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 18, 2016, 12:16:03 PM
Thank you, I try to talk in an entertaining way. Especially when making longer posts. I often fail miserably, I think. So it's nice to hear.
Though I'm not talking as swell as I'd like. Or you would realize I'm not making a negative claim. That's exactly the point; I'm not going to make a negative claim. You might make a positive one. And if you don't support it well, I'm happy to point out why your positive claim is supported. But I'm not going to superimpose a negative claim just because you don't provide any valid evidence for your positive one. And in not making a negative claim, i.e. God doesn't exist, but at the same time not finding the positive claim valid, I fall back into the position of 'not seeing evidence for God', which makes me an atheist; because I have no reason to believe in a God.
Maybe if I were a better talker, I wouldn't be spending three posts trying to explain the burden of proof.

Also, sorry to hear the emperor's clothes doesn't work for you. It's actually, if you don't mind me saying it, a pretty good analogy in my opinion. Maybe you could point out exactly what it is that you think doesn't fit. Your reply was a bit vague on that, I feel.
Very well. as stated, this was still a nice conversation.

I remember that the guy making the king's clothes was lying about the invisible clothing. if he generated the clothing, then he would know if it were real.

perhaps I'm looking at it too literal but if we know the man is lying then I know whether the clothes were real or not.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: randomvim on September 19, 2016, 10:48:54 PM
Very well. as stated, this was still a nice conversation.

I remember that the guy making the king's clothes was lying about the invisible clothing. if he generated the clothing, then he would know if it were real.

perhaps I'm looking at it too literal but if we know the man is lying then I know whether the clothes were real or not.

All I can say to that is I didn't intend you to be the one the story is told to. For the analogy to work, you must be one in the crowd, in the story.
If we were to observe outside of time and place the creation of 'false' religions and 'false' sects, we might come to realize Some of them are fake because for instance The creator of said faiths lied and did it as a conman. *cough* *cough* mormonism *cough*
But while we live in this reality and it's not a story told to us, we don't have that luxury. Nor do the people in our stories :)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hijiri Byakuren

I actually lied earlier. I'm not an atheist. There is a god, and his name is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLyiHHEHylw
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

drunkenshoe

I have been standing on this neutral position almost all my life. That's because I have never been indoctrinated growing up. About anything.

Meanwhile, there are billions of some things around who keep claiming that they are something out of the same thing versus other similar some things out of the same thing -so all some things could be happily something else while they are the same thing- because the others are also some things out of the same thing claming to be something and they all keep blaming me of being something which is supposedly the opposite of all something out of the same thing when it is actually nothing.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: drunkenshoe on September 20, 2016, 06:40:15 AM
I have been standing on this neutral position almost all my life. That's because I have never been indoctrinated growing up. About anything.

Meanwhile, there are billions of some things around who keep claiming that they are something out of the same thing versus other similar some things out of the same thing -so all some things could be happily something else while they are the same thing- because the others are also some things out of the same thing claming to be something and they all keep blaming me of being something which is supposedly the opposite of all something out of the same thing when it is actually nothing.

They have to say you "actually believe", because they understand deep down that it's absurd so they protect themselves by projecting that fallacious stance on you to even things out. When they do this just laugh at them.
PZ Myers

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 20, 2016, 06:52:43 AM
When they do this just laugh at them.

Naaah. I am too unthreatening and harmless. When I do that it looks like a non-cute kitten trying to give an evil cackle rolling her eyes. And no, internet didn't invent that image yet. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe