What's Happening to Trump's Campaign?

Started by SGOS, August 30, 2016, 12:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

I supported Dukakis too ... and then couldn't believe the "tank commander" video that made him look like a fool.

Howard Dean destroyed himself with a scream ... he didn't even get the stupid T-shirt.

Presidential candidates have to be the right kind of ridiculous .. look like George Washington ... with powdered wig and wood/ivory dentures.  Or the Uncle Sam caricature.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on October 22, 2016, 08:29:56 AM
There are some candidates who seem to work VERY HARD to destroy their chances of winning a Presidential campaign.  But none as bizarre and self-destructive as Trump's.

He's an interesting case study.  To me that's the thing that draws my attention.  I don't dislike him.  I'm not afraid of him.  But I can't not think about him.  I find him fascinating to watch in the way one would watch the exhibits at a freak show.  And I think more about the dynamics that skyrocketed him to this point, only to seem to fail, than to be angry or fearful.  It's an interesting historical quirk, perhaps a symptom of the times.  I think the right word is a phenomenon.  Here is a guy that is unfit for president, yet he beat out a "clown car" of heavyweights in his own party.  I think Trump is real, or as the saying goes, "He wears it all on his sleeve."  He's good at being real (as self destructive as his realness is in the political arena).

But his presence in the election campaign says something about our country.  You can't get this far without appealing to a very large, huge, and potentially powerful subgroup of society.  And while Trump doesn't scare me, that subgroup does.

Atheon

Quote from: Baruch on October 22, 2016, 08:53:13 AM
I supported Dukakis too ... and then couldn't believe the "tank commander" video that made him look like a fool.

Howard Dean destroyed himself with a scream ... he didn't even get the stupid T-shirt.
Dukakis made the critical error of going on vacation in the midst of the campaign, allowing the Republicans to spread their lies and propaganda with nobody to counter the attacks. (And his tank commercial didn't help.) I still voted for him; after all, his opponent was a Republican.

Bill Clinton set up a "rapid response team" to immediately debunk the Republican lies before they had time to fester in people's minds. That was one part of his winning strategy. He also unleashed James Carville as his attack dog, who got in a lot of air time. (Where was Carville during the Gore campaign? Where was Gore's rapid response team?)

Howard Dean didn't destroy himself; the media destroyed him. For an enthusiastic yell, like people do. I still puzzle over it.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Cavebear

Yes, it it the subgroup of Trump supporters that scares me.  Its almost like the election of 1856, where too few suspected what was to come...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Atheon on October 22, 2016, 10:24:25 AM

Howard Dean didn't destroy himself; the media destroyed him. For an enthusiastic yell, like people do. I still puzzle over it.

That one perplexed me too.  I saw it when it happened, and I remember thinking it was a tad over enthusiastic, but not something worth focusing on.  And I was surprised by the effect it ended up having.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on October 22, 2016, 10:40:19 AM
That one perplexed me too.  I saw it when it happened, and I remember thinking it was a tad over enthusiastic, but not something worth focusing on.  And I was surprised by the effect it ended up having.
Especially since at the time, the main moaning in the media was that none of the candidates had any personality.  And as soon as one showed a genuine human reaction to a moment of joy, they crushed him essentially for displaying... personality.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Atheon

That's like the way they treat Hillary Clinton. Sometimes they say she's too unemotional, but when she shows emotion, suddenly she's criticized for being too emotional.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on October 22, 2016, 10:26:40 AM
Yes, it it the subgroup of Trump supporters that scares me.  Its almost like the election of 1856, where too few suspected what was to come...

Ah, but the South was right ... Death To New England!  Puritan Scum!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 22, 2016, 09:50:54 AM
He's an interesting case study.  To me that's the thing that draws my attention.  I don't dislike him.  I'm not afraid of him.  But I can't not think about him.  I find him fascinating to watch in the way one would watch the exhibits at a freak show.  And I think more about the dynamics that skyrocketed him to this point, only to seem to fail, than to be angry or fearful.  It's an interesting historical quirk, perhaps a symptom of the times.  I think the right word is a phenomenon.  Here is a guy that is unfit for president, yet he beat out a "clown car" of heavyweights in his own party.  I think Trump is real, or as the saying goes, "He wears it all on his sleeve."  He's good at being real (as self destructive as his realness is in the political arena).

But his presence in the election campaign says something about our country.  You can't get this far without appealing to a very large, huge, and potentially powerful subgroup of society.  And while Trump doesn't scare me, that subgroup does.

So a B-movie actor from California didn't say to you ... beginning of the end?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Atheon on October 22, 2016, 11:40:27 AM
That's like the way they treat Hillary Clinton. Sometimes they say she's too unemotional, but when she shows emotion, suddenly she's criticized for being too emotional.

Standard "double standard".  Probably every female leader has this chip on their shoulder (put there by men).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on October 22, 2016, 11:00:57 AM
Especially since at the time, the main moaning in the media was that none of the candidates had any personality.  And as soon as one showed a genuine human reaction to a moment of joy, they crushed him essentially for displaying... personality.

Ah, but the Media isn't biased ... you are a tin foil hat ... they are the entirely neutral 4th branch of government.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

I will say this ... a lot of people are going to be retracting a lot of negative comments when Trump's campaign is over and he goes back to being a Democrat.

No, they won't.  The American Electorate's memory is about 15 minutes long, tops.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Cavebear

No, he won't be a Democrat, either.  He will just be the self-absorbed crazy (several unprintable adjectives) person he always has been...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Trump is more like an independent voter.  He registered as a Democrat in 2001, and then as a Republican in 2009.  Before 2001, he was a Republican.

http://www.programmerinterview.com/index.php/assortment/is-donald-trump-a-republican/

Atheon

Wasn't Trump a member of the Reform Party for a spell?