what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorginak

Quote from: fencerider on April 04, 2017, 12:59:05 AM

Finally right for once Drew. - first time ever hearing those terms for me.

Kind of like when people first learn the difference between religious faith and secular faith. 

Drew_2017

Quote from: Sorginak on April 04, 2017, 01:03:03 AM
Kind of like when people first learn the difference between religious faith and secular faith.

Folks use the word faith in here as a derisive term meaning belief in something minus any evidence or even believing in something in spite of contrary evidence. They don't acknowledge folks have faith because something has proven itself reliably. 
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
Albert Einstein

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jex6k2uvf9aljrq/theism.rtf?dl=0

Mike Cl

Quote from: Drew_2017 on April 04, 2017, 12:11:47 PM
Folks use the word faith in here as a derisive term meaning belief in something minus any evidence or even believing in something in spite of contrary evidence. They don't acknowledge folks have faith because something has proven itself reliably.
Then it's not faith, but fact.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Drew_2017 on April 04, 2017, 12:11:47 PM

It's not faith if it's proven. And God most certainly is not proven. Personal experience does not qualify as proof either. I thought I had that too for a while, before I realized it was probably all in my head.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 04, 2017, 12:40:15 PM
It's not faith if it's proven. And God most certainly is not proven. Personal experience does not qualify as proof either. I thought I had that too for a while, before I realized it was probably all in my head.

Arithmetic is in your head too ... nature doesn't calculate/count.  Ape men do.  It takes a person (even Mother Nature if you are into Gaia).  If you diss everything that is in your head, which is everything ... then you will have achieved the nihilism you seek.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on April 04, 2017, 12:45:04 PM
Arithmetic is in your head too ... nature doesn't calculate/count.  Ape men do.  It takes a person (even Mother Nature if you are into Gaia).  If you diss everything that is in your head, which is everything ... then you will have achieved the nihilism you seek.

Crisp, Grade A logic there. The only thing your missing is a hip and happenin' meme. Here. I'll hook you up.

--Fulke Greville--

sdelsolray

Quote from: Drew_2017 on April 03, 2017, 06:00:21 PM
It's disappointing that neither you or others can distinguish between religious theism and philosophical theism. I'm not sorry though because its willful ignorance.

Ah yes, "philosophical theism" - a religion with one member - you.

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 04, 2017, 01:07:13 PM
Crisp, Grade A logic there. The only thing your missing is a hip and happenin' meme. Here. I'll hook you up.

Thanks ... people who are misanthropes, don't like people.  People who are stupid, don't like thinking.  Don't blame the messenger ... just expect less from people.

So we use words we don't understand, and use equations without knowing math ... this is a well known thing in psychology.  Necessary even ... if you had to know QM to move your hand, you would still be in your mother's womb.  The body has knowledge that the puny consciousness knows nothing of.

It has taken thousands of years to even get a partial handle on the Pythagorean theorem.  Because the original proof was flawed, and didn't see any improvement until the 19th century.  Did people wait 2000 years before using it?  And it turns out it isn't even true in the real world, because it turns out the Earth isn't flat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Drew_2017 on April 03, 2017, 06:00:21 PM
It's disappointing that neither you or others can distinguish between religious theism and philosophical theism. I'm not sorry though because its willful ignorance.

Please define philosophical theism vs religious theism.  I see no difference. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on April 07, 2017, 12:42:53 AM
Please define philosophical theism vs religious theism.  I see no difference.

He's just not a part of any official religion. He's an unaffiliated theist. It doesn't make him any less religious (there are plenty of Christians who don't go to church), it just makes him a more unique kind of religious.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 07, 2017, 11:26:09 AM
He's just not a part of any official religion. He's an unaffiliated theist. It doesn't make him any less religious (there are plenty of Christians who don't go to church), it just makes him a more unique kind of religious.

Some of us prefer to be un-filleted ;-)  That is why I stay away from churches, those fish bumper stickers are a tell.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 07, 2017, 11:26:09 AM

He suggested a difference between philosophical and religious theism.  I want to know what it is.  Is there a problem with that?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 12, 2017, 03:17:06 AM
He suggested a difference between philosophical and religious theism.  I want to know what it is.  Is there a problem with that?

Like I posted a few lines up in this string ... people use words without knowing what they mean.  He probably doesn't have a different definition.  He is also a famous anti-atheist debater in his own mind.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on April 12, 2017, 06:56:05 AM
Like I posted a few lines up in this string ... people use words without knowing what they mean.

Please baruch, that's just homunculus.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on April 12, 2017, 08:27:39 AM
Please baruch, that's just homunculus.

Homunculus is as homunculus does ... Forrest Homunculus
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?