what would be an actually good reason to believe in a god.

Started by doorknob, August 13, 2016, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on January 31, 2017, 07:55:06 AM
You can learn a lot from handles...  Seriously, you can learn a lot by just observing.
So true.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cavebear

It is difficult for me to imagine something that doesn't apparently exist.  But wouldn't creating immediate perfection be a part?  I mean, why mess around with playing games with the toys?  Would a deity do what deities do according to religions?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on January 31, 2017, 09:11:37 AM
It is difficult for me to imagine something that doesn't apparently exist.  But wouldn't creating immediate perfection be a part?  I mean, why mess around with playing games with the toys?  Would a deity do what deities do according to religions?

That's the thing. What determines what a god's desires are? For humans, we have brains with electrical signals and the release of neurotransmitters, and these together form a person's personality, preferences, and moral compass. It's even been proven that we make our decisions several seconds before we're aware that we've made them. New experiences cause new connections to form, which further develop our personalities. So then, our personalities don't come out of nowhere. For example, a man will want sex because of testosterone activity in the brain increasing the sex drive, and that came into being because it increased a man's chances of procreating.

But do gods have that? Do they have electrochemical communications in brains that form their personalities and determine their decisions? What's the difference between a perfectly good god and a perfectly evil one, or even a completely chaotic (unpredictable) god? Why should a god have any interest in us, our universe, or anything?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 31, 2017, 09:38:39 AM
That's the thing. What determines what a god's desires are? For humans, we have brains with electrical signals and the release of neurotransmitters, and these together form a person's personality, preferences, and moral compass. It's even been proven that we make our decisions several seconds before we're aware that we've made them. New experiences cause new connections to form, which further develop our personalities. So then, our personalities don't come out of nowhere. For example, a man will want sex because of testosterone activity in the brain increasing the sex drive, and that came into being because it increased a man's chances of procreating.

But do gods have that? Do they have electrochemical communications in brains that form their personalities and determine their decisions? What's the difference between a perfectly good god and a perfectly evil one, or even a completely chaotic (unpredictable) god? Why should a god have any interest in us, our universe, or anything?

Deity eq

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 31, 2017, 09:38:39 AM

Deity = Borg Perfection?

Unbeliever

Quote from: Baruch on January 30, 2017, 12:23:20 PM
This is fight club, and you didn't bring any boxing gloves.
Hey, don't talk about fight club - that's the first rule!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 31, 2017, 07:55:06 AM
You can learn a lot from handles...  Seriously, you can learn a lot by just observing.

Confucius say ... eyes and ears open, mouth shut
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 31, 2017, 09:11:37 AM

Excellent question.  According to one school of Hinduism, all reality is Brahma having wet dreams.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 31, 2017, 03:37:36 PM
Deity = Borg Perfection?

Deity = Commander Data ... he made quick work of the Borg queen.  Failure to survive isn't perfection.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 31, 2017, 07:01:00 PM
Deity = Commander Data ... he made quick work of the Borg queen.  Failure to survive isn't perfection.

Actually, a really good question would not have an obvious answer...

Godis

The best reason to believe in God is that you can if you want and you'll want even more if you can't.

FinalSomnia

Quote from: Godis on February 10, 2017, 06:45:28 AM
The best reason to believe in God is that you can if you want and you'll want even more if you can't.
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

Mike Cl

Another theist of the intelligent sort............not.  God is a fiction, godis.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

It sounds to me that you are under peer pressure.

Godis

Ask any college philosophy professor and they will tell you there is no way to prove or disprove the existence of God, and that includes reasoning about the Problem of Evil.  That's the dilemma.  However, I asked my philosophy of religion teacher this:  If there is no way to either prove or disprove the existence of God, then is the limitation of us to be able to do so proof that God must be directing it to be that way?  In other words, you're never as smart as you think you are.