News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The TED Formula

Started by TomFoolery, June 11, 2016, 06:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

gentle_dissident

Outstanding.

Distraction and deception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlj_08htIRI

Baruch

We have fallen a long way, from having Socrates as our public intellectual.  Nobody would execute a TED talker ... for blasphemy or corrupting the young.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Interesting... how much could doing a Ted talk increase my marketability? Can I make money off it....
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on June 11, 2016, 11:12:57 PM
Interesting... how much could doing a Ted talk increase my marketability? Can I make money off it....
Yes and no.  TED doesn't actually pay its speakers anything, though they do pay for travel costs and accommodation.  Every year, they also award one speaker with $1,000,000.  But the chances of winning that are roughly akin to making a field goal on an aircraft carrier during a hurricane while blindfolded.

But there's basically no chance of doing a TED talk unless you've already been on the cover of Time, have your own wiki page, have a million dollars, etc.  We're talking former presidents, famous inventors, Four Horseman tier atheists, etc.  So, you'd have to do TEDx.  They have lower standards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMBSblpcrc

Much lower standards.

You can find a local TEDx and apply there.

Remember:
1) Have absolute confidence
2) Be vague
3) Be uplifting

The audience should feel enthralled, hopeful for the future but in a very vague way, and feel like they learned something without actually learning anything.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 12, 2016, 12:54:12 AMThey have lower standers.

I see what you did there.

Sent from your mom.

Hydra009

And I proofread that like 3 times. ><

Edited.  :P 

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 12, 2016, 01:07:36 AM
And I proofread that like 3 times. ><

Edited.  :P

Remember, robot cars will drive as well as auto-correct does English.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.