One Question, One Response (aka - Stump the Apologist)

Started by Randy Carson, May 14, 2016, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popsthebuilder

Quote from: stromboli on May 23, 2016, 08:57:35 PM
Pretty sure that following specific rules set down by a specific god in a specific holy book doesn't "conflate" to erroneous acts. You just make this shit up as you go?
Pretty sure most (including myself) haven't followed specific orders of a specific GOD rightly, or else we wouldn't be having this conversation. And by specific god I am referring to the One Creator GOD that all known and unknown existence was formed by in some fashion.

Peace

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

stromboli

Quote from: popsthebuilder on May 23, 2016, 08:59:33 PM
Pretty sure most (including myself) haven't followed specific orders of a specific GOD rightly, or else we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Forget this. I've had less unintelligible conversations with drunks.

aitm

Quote from: popsthebuilder on May 23, 2016, 02:48:29 PM
Simple minded? Really. Give an example of my observable simple mindedness

You believe in the babble, the history of which has been proven to be complete and utter bullshit. You spend years looking and searching to find "experts" to agree with you when 5 year olds can disprove the entire babble in the first chapter. You refuse the obvious because it is …obvious and therefore not the work of a god….forgetting that the work of a "god" would really be far more of a read than your babble.

In short, you're a moron. You have to, must, are forced to post information from other sources because you cannot defend the babble in even simple common sense. You have to reach out to PHD's, like minded scientists, fellow believers to help you in your arguments because you cannot defend the babble by its own merit.

I do not need any of that. I can prove the babble is bullshit simply by reading it. And you have to bring in "experts" to explain it to you so you can "defend " it. HA! Surely that is the work of an almighty god…make the babble understandable only to those who are paid to explain it to those who are paying them to explain it……moron.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Johan

Quote from: popsthebuilder on May 23, 2016, 07:36:59 PM
No reason to take such offence. Anyone with a brain can deduce, from simple observation of their surroundings, that many things are of much greater power than themselves.

So let me get this straight. If I want to prove that I have a brain, I have to declare that my surroundings are the result of a higher power. And therefore if I happen to believe there is no such thing as a higher power, I must clearly have no brain is that it? Oh and I'm not supposed to be offended by your assertion of this. Well then yeah, there are no words in the English language that can effectively express just how much I'd like you to go fuck yourself so instead I'll just tell you to have a nice day. Have a nice day.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on May 23, 2016, 07:30:44 PM
Why does mentioning arrogance make me a clown. Am I arrogant? And if you think I am could you support it with anything whatsoever?

Well, let's see.  You come onto an atheist forum and proceed to tell us how wrong headed we are.  And you expect us to simply agree with you and welcome you with open arms????? That is arrogant, young man---arrogant indeed!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

popsthebuilder

Quote from: stromboli on May 23, 2016, 08:47:53 PM
True love of an indiscriminate nature? there is nothing indiscriminate about religious love.

Indiscriminate:
done at random or without careful judgment.
"the indiscriminate killing of civilians"
synonyms:   nonselective, unselective, undiscriminating, uncritical, aimless, hit-or-miss, haphazard, random, arbitrary, unsystematic, undirected; More

(of a person) not using or exercising discrimination.
"she was indiscriminate with her affections"

religion is very specific about discrimination. Ask any gay or transgender that was discriminated against. The 60's we went through the Bible belt preachers screaming hate against blacks.

ISIS is discriminating based on women not wearing Burkas, killing gays and beheading atheists and infidels. Discrimination?

Don't believe in Jesus? See you in hell. Sounds kind of discriminatory. Religion is judgmental through and through. Used to stone you if you skipped the sabbath.  The bible is full of judgment and discrimination.

I don't know what you believe, but the last indiscriminate love I can personally remember happened on Haight Ashbury in San Francisco and it involved quantities of LSD.

There is nothing indiscriminate or random about the 10 Commandments. you either don't know what you are talking about or believe some kind of mixed bag of personal choice religion; choose one belief from column A, one from column B.
Let me attempt to make it more clear for you;

Though man can claim to act out of religious beliefs, their acts are not aligned with the teachings of peaceable core scriptures of any "religion".

The love of GOD is indiscriminate. Pretty sure the word is to love thy neighbor as thy love thou self. That's pretty impartial. This isn't achieved with any level of greed or want for self whatsoever, as far as I know. Yet, looking back throughout history we see only greed, fear, and pride as motives for atrocities. Can one justifiably state that these same atrocious acts had been and are still being carried out by those proclaiming to be the faithful of GOD? Surely.

My point is, again, that regardless of what they(those corrupt, blasphemous souls) proclaim; they are not on the narrow path in any way. All one needs to do to see this is study any core text of the faithful to GOD.

Now, when I say GOD please understand that it is only a descriptor in that it is not specific past being the singular creative force causal to all existence.

Lemme guess; word salad, right?

Peace

popsthebuilder

aitm,

Be more specific, or rather, perhaps I should be.

You say I believe the bible. Which I do. You say the history of the bible is proven to be wrong, whatever that is supposed to mean. So give examples.
I believe the teachings of the Christ. I find much wisdom I the words of the bible. I find that every thing in it can be learned from in one way or another. I believe it to be the inspired Word of GOD, or perhaps inspired by the Word of GOD.

Anyway, first, I couldn't help but notice how you said first that the history of said book has been proven wrong, but towards the end of your passive aggressive emotionally charged rant you said you need no proof...

Anyway, moving on, thanks for attempting some level of substance in your post even if it was complete and utter conjecture/assumption.

Really though, you must have e confused for someone else, or that's the worst case of stereotyping I have ever witnessed first hand. Why would I look for "experts" to agree with me? And what field would their expertise be in? How would that benefit me, and why would I need that?
What do you mean disprove? Are you talking about young earth creationism? Because I don't see it that way. What obvious thing do I refuse? All these grandua assumptions with no clarification whatsoever. Wait... You said I refuse the obvious because it is obvious...I'm almost speechless... I'm sorry but that's just a dumb ass statement that makes no sense. Are you assuming I ignore nature or science? Are one of those characters that try to seperate nature from GOD? You should understand that from my perspective nature is of GOD, not contrary to GOD. What kind of asshat would claim otherwise? Rhetorical.

You also seem to assume that I stick to the bible alone. Never once have I stated such and thought I made it clear repeatedly that I read and have read multiple scriptures. Just more observable assumption based in biased ignorance on your part I suppose.

Try asking a question every once and again, it might help you to stop putting your foot in your mouth.

Peace

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Johan on May 23, 2016, 09:39:19 PM
So let me get this straight. If I want to prove that I have a brain, I have to declare that my surroundings are the result of a higher power. And therefore if I happen to believe there is no such thing as a higher power, I must clearly have no brain is that it? Oh and I'm not supposed to be offended by your assertion of this. Well then yeah, there are no words in the English language that can effectively express just how much I'd like you to go fuck yourself so instead I'll just tell you to have a nice day. Have a nice day.
The truth hurts. Learn from it.

If you truly are so vain that you cannot accept the fact that you are not the most powerful thing in existence then I truly feel for you. I wish you the very best and hope that eventually the vail of pride will be lifted from your eyes. I wasn't trying to insinuate that you or anyone for that matter is without a brain or of inadequate intellect.

Pride and greed do skew perception though.

Peace

doorknob

Another person who talks in riddles yet says nothing at all.

Also I've been questioning a lot of peoples reading comprehension lately.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 23, 2016, 10:39:14 PM
Well, let's see.  You come onto an atheist forum and proceed to tell us how wrong headed we are.  And you expect us to simply agree with you and welcome you with open arms????? That is arrogant, young man---arrogant indeed!
I expect nothing of the sort sir. I never said I did. I understand I am not exactly welcome here if I speak my mind. I get that it is offensive at times, and try not to be. If people who say they know, understand, and use the golden rule, would act as such, then perhaps that would help as well.

Duelly noted though; thank everyone for reminding me that I am not supposed to be contentious or combative. I did accuse some of being  foolish. That didn't help anyone, and isn't profitable for real conversation.

Please note that I am not saying you are wrong headed, but that you are basing your opinion on GOD and Faith on the acts of man.

If most here where at some point "Christian" then perhaps they have read or heard about not respecting man. Not being lead astray by false prophets. Being wary of the whore of Babylon.

So yes; you are right in some fashion for your contempt towards the hypocrite. But that shouldn't be the basis for your disbelief or hatred in GOD. Read scriptures without bias and with openness. Investigate your own motives. Search yourself. Relinquishing greed and pride go a long way towards catching that self deception. Listen to your conscience. Pay attention to your intuition and instinct.

Have a little hope, sincerity, and receptiveness.

Peace

popsthebuilder

Quote from: doorknob on May 23, 2016, 11:28:25 PM
Another person who talks in riddles yet says nothing at all.

Also I've been questioning a lot of peoples reading comprehension lately.
I don't mean to talk in riddles and can attempt to clarify anything upon request. To be more specific one has to be asked more specific questions.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 23, 2016, 10:39:14 PM
I don't feel too young.

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on May 23, 2016, 11:33:37 PM

Please note that I am not saying you are wrong headed, but that you are basing your opinion on GOD and Faith on the acts of man.

Peace

How do you know what I base my thoughts about god come from?  You have no idea of my past nor how much thought and research I've done (and continue doing) on this subject.  A large part of your arrogance is that you make these blanket statements as though they are fact and you know them for a fact.  You don't.  You assume we are atheist for the most flimsy of reasons; you don't bother to find out about our real thoughts are or why we have them. And you assume that your thoughts are superior than ours.  That is arrogance. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: popsthebuilder on May 23, 2016, 11:33:37 PM

Peace

For your info, since you did not bother to ask, I have much more than a little hope.  I have hope that we, as a species, are being better and better to each other as the years, decades and centuries wear on.  I am not a pessimist.  I am totally sincere in my thoughts, reasons and reasoning.  And I as receptive as the next guy, maybe more so; you give me some good reasons (faith and belief is not a good basis for changing ones mind about anything.) and I will change my mind in a heart beat! 

Faith in selfless Unity???????????? Faith requires not proof that anything is correct.  If an act produces a good outcome, then repeat it--grow it.  If an act produces a bad outcome, stop doing it, learn from it and try a different approach the next time.  Faith and belief has nothing to do with reality.  For good?  Well, that is a subjective concept, is it not???

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 23, 2016, 11:40:13 PM
How do you know what I base my thoughts about god come from?  You have no idea of my past nor how much thought and research I've done (and continue doing) on this subject.  A large part of your arrogance is that you make these blanket statements as though they are fact and you know them for a fact.  You don't.  You assume we are atheist for the most flimsy of reasons; you don't bother to find out about our real thoughts are or why we have them. And you assume that your thoughts are superior than ours.  That is arrogance.
No I based that statement on the fact that someone cited atrocious acts of man in the past and conflated them with the rightly guided by GOD. If you don't base the credence of GOD on the actions of man then great. Based on your statements that I have read that didn't seem to be the case. I am in no way confined to that assumption or illusion though, and commend you on your research. I am not arrogant, and Based my statements on previous statement of others in this thread. Perhaps I mistook someone else's post for yours. It happens.

So now I'm curious. What have you been studying as of late? Is it more scholarly in origin or philosophical? Is from a more skeptical perspective or opened?

Humbly,
Peace