Conclusive proof that Jesus was NOT divine

Started by reasonist, May 10, 2016, 10:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

The Buddha avoided talking about speculative theology, about miracles or heaven or hell or gods.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

reasonist

Quote from: Baruch on May 18, 2016, 07:14:17 AM
The Buddha avoided talking about speculative theology, about miracles or heaven or hell or gods.
But he never avoided grub.
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Unbeliever

Quote from: reasonist on May 18, 2016, 02:11:24 PM
But he never avoided grub.

I bet he avoided any grub like this one:

Now that's a grub!
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

reasonist

Voltaire

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Randy Carson

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 18, 2016, 12:42:53 AM
Wow, found two of them this time.

Arguments like this make me want to convert to Buddhism. I could use some meditation about now!

I conceded the fallacy when I wrote:

"That doesn't make them right, of course, but it ought to make you wonder if you've missed something that others are seeing."

And yes, you ought to consider if you have missed something.
Some barrels contain fish that need to be shot.

Randy Carson

Quote from: Unbeliever on May 18, 2016, 03:49:55 PM
I bet he avoided any grub like this one:

Now that's a grub!

Or that person has very tiny hands.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 18, 2016, 07:58:24 PMAnd yes, you ought to consider if you have missed something.
What makes you think I haven't done so?

I will never pretend to speak for anyone else here, but I personally have read your arguments (albeit from other people) probably over a thousand times, and maybe the first two or three times I gave them serious consideration. After that, well, it was just repetition, and rather annoying at that. At this point, if I've read it once I've read it a thousand times. Whether I am right to do so or just stubborn as a bull, the fact remains that you're just not going to convince me with that line of argument. Talk about something else.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Hydra009

Quote from: Randy Carson on May 17, 2016, 05:06:59 PMIs that actually the information you have available to you? That there is no God?

Weird. More than two thirds of the population of earth disagrees with that.
And the majority opinion not terribly long ago was that there are multiple gods, slavery is okay, and that monarchy is the best form of government.  So what?

Hydra009

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 18, 2016, 09:48:50 PMWhat makes you think I haven't done so?

I will never pretend to speak for anyone else here, but I personally have read your arguments (albeit from other people) probably over a thousand times, and maybe the first two or three times I gave them serious consideration. After that, well, it was just repetition, and rather annoying at that. At this point, if I've read it once I've read it a thousand times. Whether I am right to do so or just stubborn as a bull, the fact remains that you're just not going to convince me with that line of argument. Talk about something else.
Yeah.  Aside from assuming what one's trying to prove, appealing to popularity or consequences or a lack of knowledge, it's a really poor showing.  Maybe a couple word games if you're into that stuff.  Otherwise, there's not really much to see.  Just another huckster with wares to sell.  Invisible, intangible wares curiously immune to anti-fraud laws.  But it'll pay out a huge fortune when you're dead, swearsies.

reasonist

Voltaire

Randy Carson

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 18, 2016, 09:48:50 PM
Talk about something else.

In the Christianity subforum? What else should we talk about?

Randy Carson

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 19, 2016, 12:44:11 AM
And the majority opinion not terribly long ago was that there are multiple gods, slavery is okay, and that monarchy is the best form of government.  So what?

Your examples notwithstanding, if there is a sizable audience for a particular speaker, it might be worth hearing what he's saying. You might disagree with him and walk away, but maybe not.

See, we're not all as stupid as you atheists keep telling each other. Some of us are reasonably intelligent and decently educated. And we still believe.

So, maybe there is something to what we keep saying.

Randy Carson

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 19, 2016, 01:02:44 AM
Yeah.  Aside from assuming what one's trying to prove, appealing to popularity or consequences or a lack of knowledge, it's a really poor showing.  Maybe a couple word games if you're into that stuff.  Otherwise, there's not really much to see.  Just another huckster with wares to sell.  Invisible, intangible wares curiously immune to anti-fraud laws.  But it'll pay out a huge fortune when you're dead, swearsies.

If you think I'm just a huckster, Hydra, why not ask a question or interact with the OP of one of my threads?

Then, we'll see how you fare.