Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 30, 2021, 09:50:47 AM

Love letters from the poorly educated.

Step #1) refuse a life-saving vaccine for freedom and fox news
Step #2) party hardy without a care in the world
Step #3) oops, got covid somehow
Step #4) horse dewormer?
Step #5) Show up at the hospital already on death's door (libs = owned)
Step #6) When the inevitable happens (and it wasn't inevitable on step #1) blame the hospital staff for not being literal miracle workers.  Bonus points if you spread the plague far and wide and then have the audacity to call doctors in five layers of masks (you couldn't figure out one) murderers

UN. FUCKING. BELIEVABLE.

Nurses and techs have it worst. They are constantly being barraged with this sort of abuse. Pretty soon there won't be any working in ERs. I would certainly quit, too. You cannot care more about people than they care about themselves or you will go insane.

This is disgusting.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

the_antithesis

Shiranu

I fear the irony of using that clip is lost...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

the_antithesis

Shiranu

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 31, 2021, 01:25:13 AM
What's irony?

The scene itself is Kirk arguing against logic that his emotions are more important than facts, to which Spock just feels (despite his adherence to pure logic) genuine sadness that his best friend has gone off the deep end and bought into fear mongering and hatred.

By the end of the movie, Kirk at least realizes that his emotional outburst was completely unjustified and that "Let them die!" was a fucking dick move and changes his stance, realizing that he was buying into fear mongering and personal feelings that screwed everyone, including his allies, over.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

the_antithesis

Let's hope I live long enough to regret it.

I doubt I will.

Hydra009

Well, my relatives are no longer testing positive for covid and they're doing fine, so that's good.  Though I can't help but think about how close we got to a potential outbreak at Christmas, with unknown consequences.  Makes my blood run cold, especially given that some in the family are older or with weak immune system.

I had quite a lively discussion with a friend about it.  I complained that antivaxxers are fueling these variants and surges and that if more people just took simple, common-sense precautions (we *only* need 80%-90% to be decent people and do the right thing), then this pandemic would be mostly over.  She replied that some people are idiots and I just have to accept that (fatalism) and that I'm being unreasonable in expecting them to change.  What's more, I should only worry about my own affairs and not seek to tell other people what to do (this coming from a pro-lifer, lol)

I brought up how bizarre it was that 9/11 caused all sorts of airport security changes that travelers largely comply with, albeit begrudgingly.  But a disaster that greatly dwarfs 9/11 is treated much more gingerly.  She replied that that's different without getting into specifics.

Finally, she asked me point blank, why should I care what some idiot is doing?  I replied that some idiot passed on this plague to some other idiot and another idiot and another idiot and then to my own family.  That's why I care.  Exasperated, she shut down the conversation there.  Am I the asshole?

Hydra009

I'm tempted to declare that I'm not bothered that people have weird beliefs.  Nor am I bothered that some people are willing to die for their beliefs.  What I am bothered by is people who are willing to kill for their beliefs.  (Too much?  Maybe a tad too much.)

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 01, 2022, 09:31:11 PM
Well, my relatives are no longer testing positive for covid and they're doing fine, so that's good.  Though I can't help but think about how close we got to a potential outbreak at Christmas, with unknown consequences.  Makes my blood run cold, especially given that some in the family are older or with weak immune system.

I had quite a lively discussion with a friend about it.  I complained that antivaxxers are fueling these variants and surges and that if more people just took simple, common-sense precautions (we *only* need 80%-90% to be decent people and do the right thing), then this pandemic would be mostly over.  She replied that some people are idiots and I just have to accept that (fatalism) and that I'm being unreasonable in expecting them to change.  What's more, I should only worry about my own affairs and not seek to tell other people what to do (this coming from a pro-lifer, lol)

I brought up how bizarre it was that 9/11 caused all sorts of airport security changes that travelers largely comply with, albeit begrudgingly.  But a disaster that greatly dwarfs 9/11 is treated much more gingerly.  She replied that that's different without getting into specifics.

Finally, she asked me point blank, why should I care what some idiot is doing?  I replied that some idiot passed on this plague to some other idiot and another idiot and another idiot and then to my own family.  That's why I care.  Exasperated, she shut down the conversation there.  Am I the asshole?
Nope, you're not the asshole. People refusing to wear masks and keep their distance are. And the treatment of said restrictions has become so politicized that it's ridiculous. Early in the pandemic, about April '20, one of my neighbors asked me about microchips in the vaccine and if it was a hoax. I told him that, of course, it's BS, because the frequency range at which said chips would operate are stopped by the meat of one's body. He's tracked by his cell phone, obviously, but doesn't see that.  He's still not vaxxed, and won't wear a mask going into a store, and gets belligerent when confronted in the stores. He also told me about a medical doctor who demonstrated that the masks reduced oxygen intake and caused too much carbon dioxide buildup. The demonstration concluded with a carbon monoxide detector sounding off. I'm pleased to report that that doctor has has his license to practice medicine revoked. Medical professionals wear masks for hours at a time without deleterious effects to their breathing.

Hydra009

Quote from: Dark Lightning on January 01, 2022, 09:53:56 PMNope, you're not the asshole.
Good.  I feared I might've been a tad too harsh in my words, but almost a million dead, that's harsh in deed.

I kinda felt like this during that conversation:

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 01, 2022, 09:31:11 PM

No!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

the_antithesis

Well, my dad and sister-in-law tested positive. My brother and nephew are likely to follow. I just tested negative. Happy new fucking year.

Hydra009

My coworker was asked to either provide vaxx documentation or submit weekly covid tests or no longer be employed.

Turns out she never got the shot like she said she did (scandalous!) and holds some rather dubious beliefs about what vaccines actually do (i.e. the flu vaccine infects you with a live flu virus).  She is bizarrely phobic of the shot and for some reason won't take covid tests, so it looks like it might be door number 3.

If this is authoritarianism run amok then let me be the first to say "Be glorified, country! We are proud of you!"

Hydra009

The covid situation has not necessarily developed to our advantage.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--