News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Wuhan Corona virus

Started by Sal1981, January 28, 2020, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on January 06, 2022, 12:20:10 AM
Worse, the current vaccines don't seem to prevent catching the Omicron variant, so they're less effective against this strain.
Really?? I can't keep up with the guidelines being sent out by the CDC, which is now being criticized for giving directions that are unclear and contradictory.  But it doesn't make any difference.  Half the population ignores them anyway, and even I have resorted to my own best judgement.  I still keep an ear to the CDC and listen to what they say, and then I take extra precautions of my own.  I also heavily weigh what can be observed in hospitals.  When they get swamped with Covid cases, I assume it's serious.  When the hospital beds become empty, I'll back off.  But I will always remain more cautious than what the government suggests. 

Both the White House and the CDC seems to weigh data into their conclusions that are not important to me.  Quarantining for 5 days instead of 10 is a political decision with an eye to the economy.  Keeping schools open during the surge is a compromise between cautious parents and anti-vaxers/maskers.  I have little interest in how those political decisions are made, and the pandemic itself gives less of a shit about them than I do.

SGOS

In the end, guidelines are ineffective, especially when they are not followed or enforced.  We can make compromises to our health in and effort to keep the economy going, but I believe many of the compromises don't even help the economy the way we would hope.  I arrived at this conclusion, either right or wrong, yesterday.

I decided to take time from the pandemic and visit a restaurant (Applebee's,) thinking they would be taking at least some pandemic precautions.  I got there at lunch, and it was crowded, understaffed, and other than waitresses wearing masks, there were no other precautions for public health in place.  I was seated next to a full table.  Since the place was understaffed, as is happening all over during the pandemic, I had time to look around and observe while waiting to give my order to the waitress.  I decided the place was unsafe.  Just as a matter of personal judgement, I left before the waitress came for my order. 

I then went to Burger King, and ordered their Whopper meal.  I was the only person seated in the eating area, and it was empty the entire time.  It felt like the empty late night restaurant in that Edward Hopper painting.  A few people came in to the ordering counter and left with their meals, but the take out window was continually busy with a line of cars that literally circled half the building.

Business was taking place at both establishments, but I think the clientele were of two political types.  The anti-vaxers/maskers were all eating at Applebee's and those insufferables like myself who care less about the economy were all going to the low contact drive through window joints.

While the government is trying to compromise and create some order in a herd of conflicted citizens, people are sorting themselves out, and the CDC just barks at the chaos during a stormy pandemic.  The economy is not going to comeback by political decree.  It will come back when people feel safe again, and it seems to me that people are making decisions of their own while the government tries to appear to be actively engaged in a situation where it fears taking actual control.

Basically, we are all sorting this out on our own, each coming to different conclusions about what to do.  I think it will end when the pandemic is over.  It's clear from our experience so far that the government cannot end it.  A divided society won't end it, and a united society probably won't either, although it would probably hasten the end significantly.

drunkenshoe

I need to go out twice a week. It's usually busy, but well yeah people have to. But today the weather's like good early spring days and I have seen young people roling on grass, having picnics. :/
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Hydra009

Turns out no one got covid at the New Year's party.  Whew.  Prior to the party, two attendees had visited a family member who later found out that he had covid, but neither attendee got it or transmitted it.  Vaccines FTW.

My extended family has all recovered from covid, which is great news.  Apparently, 3 out of 4 families have gotten sick and most individuals in those families have gotten sick.  And these have been reasonably cautious, vaccinated people.  The only family to come through this pandemic unscathed has been my immediate family.  Knock on wood.

I feel like we're through the worst of it, we just have to make it through Omicron's battle of the bulge before things get much quieter.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 06, 2022, 08:16:01 PM
My extended family has all recovered from covid, which is great news.  Apparently, 3 out of 4 families have gotten sick and most individuals in those families have gotten sick.  And these have been reasonably cautious, vaccinated people.
Were these people told what variety of Covid they had?

Mr.Obvious

Gf and I had the booster today. Not sick yet,. Painful shoulder but that´s it.

Fingers crossed guys, fingers crossed.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SoldierofFortune

I dont question whether or not this virus was biologically engineered in a lab,

Do you believe that any organism can be genetically modified in a lab, with the advancement of the latest science and technology?

Do not take this as a rhetoric question, I dont want to come to a conclusion, I just wonder if it can be invented or not?

If yes, what is the reason for your belief in the honesty of the mad lab scientists, or erm. lets say, of government agencies?

If no, go start watching elementary science videos on youtube.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on January 07, 2022, 12:31:00 AM
Were these people told what variety of Covid they had?
No idea.

Hydra009

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on January 07, 2022, 02:39:30 PM
I dont question whether or not this virus was biologically engineered in a lab,

Do you believe that any organism can be genetically modified in a lab, with the advancement of the latest science and technology?

Do not take this as a rhetoric question, I dont want to come to a conclusion, I just wonder if it can be invented or not?

If yes, what is the reason for your belief in the honesty of the mad lab scientists, or erm. lets say, of government agencies?

If no, go start watching elementary science videos on youtube.
Still stuck on this ol' tinfoil song and dance, eh?

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 07, 2022, 03:31:42 PM
Still stuck on this ol' tinfoil song and dance, eh?

Some account or narrative is historically fake if it is labelled as conspiracy theory or the nonsense like tinfoil?
Highly educated and informed minds who fully master theological sciences are still believers in them. But there is a difference between being knowledgeable and having commonsense.

Because one truth is mixed and contaminated with thousands of lies, It doesnt make the truth automatically wrong. I think this is the method to create from a credible and digestable fact the unbeliable narration, even to the educated ears and attentive eyes.

By the way, you didnt answer my question.

Hydra009

I'll take that as a yes.  And you forgot to call me a sheeple and/or conduct my own research (at the college of Youtube, no less)

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 07, 2022, 09:12:24 PM
I'll take that as a yes.  And you forgot to call me a sheeple and/or conduct my own research (at the college of Youtube, no less)

You are smart enough to infer more from mere words.

But do not belittle the power of Youtube and generally the Internet.

If you indulge yourself in the flow of stupid recommendation and scroll down mindlessly, you will end up gaining nothing other than boredom.

I am a poor Turkish guy, I am on this server playing on hard mode.

But I am pushing my chances, for example.

Tell me the practical difference between the situation where I attend the Oxford, like being physically in Oxford; and

the one which I download from pirate sites a free e-book in pdf format written by an Oxford professor , read it thoroughly, watch his lectures and interviews, and also by finding the professor s e-mail, I reach him personally via e-mail and discuss literally my thoughts on the book, and my objections on the relevant topic if there was any...

So the point is, we have be selective on what we read, watch etc. just like what we eat, etc...just like typing on the net just to prove someone wrong is beyond meaningless :D
The precious brain is not garbage storage.

SoldierofFortune

As a last word, I want to mention about one of my observations relating to the social media addiction, whether it be Instagram or Facebook, or the forums like these, generally anywhere you interact with people and take feedback.

When you post something, then immediately you are looking for a reaction, that is, feedback: It may be like or emoji under your photo, or any comment on your comment, and contra-comment, so the infinite cycle goes on and on, never leave you satisfied, making you more and more hungry for more feedback.

I know some intellectual people who has discovered Youtube, or some blog sites...Although they are held in high esteem in their follower environment, they have almost completely left researching in their field and started mindlessly interact their followers, in the same manner adolescent lollypop licking girls seeking attention, but just the content is different, the situation they are hooked is the same.

I dont know if I could explain.

In the light of the above conclusion, I prefer to flee from this kinda psychologically toxic environment to self help, for a little step for betterment.

Bye.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--