One Question, One Response (aka - Stump the Apologist)

Started by Randy Carson, May 14, 2016, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: popsthebuilder on May 25, 2016, 06:58:22 PM
Simple Definition of faith
: strong belief or trust in someone or something
: belief in the existence of God : strong religious feelings or beliefs
: a system of religious beliefs

No one can know a part of a thing and base their faith from there.

You can't have faith in something you know absolutely nothing of.

Nice try though.

And yes it does work both ways. I have faith in the existence of a singular creative force for all existence.

You have faith in your belief that there is no such thing.

Both are based on experience, not proof, as you cannot prove that GOD does not exist, I cannot prove to you that it does.

Two sides of the same coin in my opinion.

Peace

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

No. It does not go both ways. Skepticism is not a form of faith. Do you have faith that the President of the United States is NOT a shape-shifting lizard alien? Of course not. And to label that lack of belief as "faith" would be idiotic.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 25, 2016, 10:01:03 PM
Nooooooo............I do not believe anything.  I use reasoning and critical thinking to determine if there is a god or not--and not.  Name something you think I have to 'believe'. Besides god, that is.
Not just yet.

You say you use critical thinking, logic, and empirical evidence for your sole basis of knowledge. Commendable.

You say my Faith in GOD isn't similar to your belief that GOD does not exist. Yet neither can be proven empirically.

You say you use logic and critical thinking. So lets use some.

If we use logic we can hypothesize about the existence of GOD or the lack there of. I'm only going to use one example.

Absolutely everything within observable existence can be explained using math. From the tiniest iota to the largest masses. Our DNA, nature, energy, galactic plotting, sound, literally everything is mathematically structured in one way or another.

Now, it takes some level of intelligence to grasp any level of math.

Using logic and critical thinking, is it more feasible that all existence, being mathematically decipherable, is the product of intelligent design?

Or is it more logical to assume that though all is mathematically decipherable, it happened by some grand happenstance?

Damned illogical, gullible theists and their nonsense right?

Peace friend

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 25, 2016, 10:33:12 PM
No. It does not go both ways. Skepticism is not a form of faith. Do you have faith that the President of the United States is NOT a shape-shifting lizard alien? Of course not. And to label that lack of belief as "faith" would be idiotic.
If you can prove there is no GOD in any way shape of form then fine. Otherwise you assume God not to exist, and have faith in such.

Sorry

Blackleaf

Quote from: popsthebuilder on May 25, 2016, 11:24:18 PM
If you can prove there is no GOD in any way shape of form then fine. Otherwise you assume God not to exist, and have faith in such.

Sorry

If you can prove that the President is not a shape-shifting lizard alien, then fine. Otherwise you assume that Obama is human, and have faith in such.
--Fulke Greville--

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 25, 2016, 11:54:28 PM
If you can prove that the President is not a shape-shifting lizard alien, then fine. Otherwise you assume that Obama is human, and have faith in such.
Quite convincing argument.😊

Peace

reasonist

Quote from: popsthebuilder on May 25, 2016, 11:24:18 PM

Sorry

Man, this argument never changes from the flock. Yeah, we'll prove that something doesn't exist. Do you actually think before you type? And no atheism is not a belief. It's a simple negation without content. No dogma, no rules to believe in.
But I make you a deal. As soon as you tell us how you come to the conclusion that Zeus and Mithra are not real, we can use your method to prove your god is not real either.
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities
Voltaire

Blackleaf

Quote from: popsthebuilder on May 26, 2016, 12:02:28 AM
Quite convincing argument.😊

Peace

So you agree that your faith in God is as credible as another's faith in a shape-shifting lizard alien species that secretly owns the White House?
--Fulke Greville--

marom1963

Quote from: reasonist on May 26, 2016, 12:07:40 AM
Man, this argument never changes from the flock. Yeah, we'll prove that something doesn't exist. Do you actually think before you type? And no atheism is not a belief. It's a simple negation without content. No dogma, no rules to believe in.
But I make you a deal. As soon as you tell us how you come to the conclusion that Zeus and Mithra are not real, we can use your method to prove your god is not real either.
You should sell bags of popcorn w/posts like that one. You'd make a fortune! I'm dying to see the come back!
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 26, 2016, 12:08:05 AM
So you agree that your faith in God is as credible as another's faith in a shape-shifting lizard alien species that secretly owns the White House?
Uh... No

For me personally Faith in GOD pertains to more specific things that GOD's existence. For me the existence of GOD is irrefutable truth not dependent upon Faith whatsoever.

Having Faith that God will do as it is written and been shown takes Faith. Striving to live according to what I know is right regardless of scenario takes Faith at times. Knowing GOD exists, doesn't take Faith for me.

Peace

marom1963

Quote from: popsthebuilder on May 26, 2016, 06:02:17 AM
Uh... No

For me personally Faith in GOD pertains to more specific things that GOD's existence. For me the existence of GOD is irrefutable truth not dependent upon Faith whatsoever.

Having Faith that God will do as it is written and been shown takes Faith. Striving to live according to what I know is right regardless of scenario takes Faith at times. Knowing GOD exists, doesn't take Faith for me.

Peace

Well, then, what is it dependent upon?
OMNIA DEPENDET ...

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on May 25, 2016, 09:27:19 PM
We atheists recognize this far better than you, because most of you who come in here are indeed of the same poor mold. Nothing is more "christian" than ex drunks and druggies. Doesn't mean a goddamn thing when it comes to proof however.  Yeah we get it, you hit bottom, gave up, someone gave you a sammich and said Jesus saves and the next thing you know yer a fucking zombie. Well, good fer you…..whoop ti do.

Catharsis is a well known psychological experience that ex-drug abusers might experience.  Of course some ex-drug abusers might attribute this to medicine or to a paranormal reform, which is primarily emotional and self-image altering.  Not that shows G-d did it for them.  There is a 12 step group for Jews too ... it isn't limited to a particular religion.  Catharsis is even well known in Buddhism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: popsthebuilder on May 26, 2016, 06:02:17 AM
Uh... No

Peace

It is axiomatic for me as well, based on fundamental perception of direct experience.  But axioms aren't obvious and don't come easily, otherwise Stone Age man would have written Euclid's geometry book.  But even Euclid's geometry isn't reality, it is only math, and not the only geometry possible.  But it also means seeing things that others don't see ... because the perception of the same sensation is not the same.  It is purely subjective, not objective.  In that sense, it can't be proven, because it primarily involves internal experience.  Such situations aren't publicly demonstrable.  And as axioms, they aren't supposed to be proven, you don't prove axioms, you assume them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: reasonist on May 26, 2016, 12:07:40 AM
You don't have to prove anything to me. You need to know for yourself.

popsthebuilder

Quote from: Baruch on May 26, 2016, 06:53:11 AM
It is axiomatic for me as well, based on fundamental perception of direct experience.  But axioms aren't obvious and don't come easily, otherwise Stone Age man would have written Euclid's geometry book.  But even Euclid's geometry isn't reality, it is only math, and not the only geometry possible.  But it also means seeing things that others don't see ... because the perception of the same sensation is not the same.  It is purely subjective, not objective.  In that sense, it can't be proven, because it primarily involves internal experience.  Such situations aren't publicly demonstrable.  And as axioms, they aren't supposed to be proven, you don't prove axioms, you assume them.
Axiomatic...learned a new word...cool
Learn something new every day.
Catharsis too. Thanks.😊
Peace

popsthebuilder

Quote from: marom1963 on May 26, 2016, 06:35:23 AM
Well, then, what is it dependent upon?
Personal revelation. As ridiculous as that may sound.