Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Step Up, Revolution

I liked this 4th in the series, as I have the others in the Step Up franchise (the third one didn't do much for me).  Don't bother unless you have a quirky interest in street dancing, like I do.  I just like watching the dance and choreography.  The story line is the same story line in all of them, and I have to say it's actually pathetic.  New girl moves into the neighborhood.  She is studying classical dance at an upscale school, or trying to break into quality dance group, meets this guy from the "hood" and takes her talents to the street, usually managing to alarm her parents in the process.  Of course, society is outraged by the basically harmless antics of these good hearted, but somewhat delinquent looking street kids.  Together they end up saving society from some evil wrong by dancing.  Yep dancing.  It's always the same, just a few new characters in a different place.

Now before you stick your finger down your throat, I know how this must sound, but it helps me understand why some people like to go see crappy musicals strung together by a pointless plot intended to connect the shitty songs together.  You know how the dialog goes along, something gets almost interesting, and suddenly for no apparent reason, the cast breaks out in song.  WTF??  Well I like to watch street dancing.

rickcopeland648

"Iron Man 3": More summer meh. It takes all of three to five minutes to figure out who the bad guy really is and once you get it you really want to see more of Ben Kingsley, who i fantastic as this Asian/ middle American/ Middle Eastern/ British "bad guy" Worth seeing for his performance alone, the movie ends with a large amount of ass kickery that is, in the end, surprisingly uninvolving and uninteresting. And the small amount of ass kicking Gwtneth Paltrow was still far too much. Great: C+/ C... Probably a C+ for Kingsley, who's always great... And for Downey telling the kid to quit being a pussy...
"It was then I understood my mission. I knew I must overthrow the white man and all he stood for. But that would not be easy. I would need the help from my organizing brothers and sisters. But most of all, I\'d need the help of Allah. All thanks be to Allah, praise be his sweet and blessed name."
   -- From "Dreams From my Father: The Unexpurgated Version THEY don\'t Want You To Read". By B. Obama Hussein, Forward By Jerome Corsi"

"Syphilis is the algebra of infection."

Jelly Penutbutter

Rocky.     It's old but I love it
-JP

SGOS

This Is the End 3/10

Apparently quite a few like it, but I think I can safely day this is a monumentally unimportant film.  It's sophomoric to the max and intended to be so.  I even like some sophomoric movies.  But aside from an occasional funny line, there's not much to applaud here.

Notthesun

Warm Bodies - It was fun to watch. Not really a zombie movie though.

Grade: B
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

SGOS

Beautiful Creatures 7/10

Looney Christians, spell casters, magic, good and evil, or as they say in the film, "the light vs. the darkness."   I liked this movie.  It's fantasy, sometimes serious, but still a lot of fun.  It's a story of teenage love between a mortal and one of the "others".  The first half really kept me interested, and the second half slows down just enough to knock off a point.  Not slow enough to come anywhere near boring, just slows down a bit.  It does end in a climax, but the first part was more fun.  I think some atheists might enjoy this movie.

mykcob4

'Man Of Steel', probably the worst movie I have ever seen. Kevin Costner, Russell Crow and a multitude of big names, a huge budget but,....... no real story, no real content, bad acting, bad script, and the worst directing in history. If you want an example of how NOT to make a big budget film, this is it.
They tried to use a device of flash backs to give the story depth, but all they did was confuse and blur ANY possiblity of cohession and story continuity. Not good,....not good at all!!!!!!

the_antithesis

Quote from: "mykcob4"'Man Of Steel', probably the worst movie I have ever seen. Kevin Costner, Russell Crow and a multitude of big names, a huge budget but,....... no real story, no real content, bad acting, bad script, and the worst directing in history. If you want an example of how NOT to make a big budget film, this is it.
They tried to use a device of flash backs to give the story depth, but all they did was confuse and blur ANY possiblity of cohession and story continuity. Not good,....not good at all!!!!!!

Yeah. One critic said that about halfway through the movie, when Supes starts punching the shit out of Zod and his cronies, all the story stuff completely stops. They were building up stuff during the first half of the movie but that all just goes away during the second half. Maybe that build up wouldn't seem so empty and pretentious if it actually informed the punching later, but it doesn't so it does.

I did like one bit

[spoil:356v8evh]When Supes is destroying some machine that would help Zod rebuild Krypton on Earth, Zod begs him to stop saying they can rebuild Krypton or something... It sounded better in the movie. Supes pauses, like he's mulling over the choice and then says "Krypton had its chance." and goes back to wrecking shit. I appreciated this moment. Pity the rest of the movie didn't have more moments like that.[/spoil:356v8evh]

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

wolf39us

The Aristocats (girlfriend has never seen it)

8/10

Sal1981

Man of Steel ~ 8.5/10

I thought it was pretty good, with a lot of special effects.

aitm

"The Incredible Burt", not a great movie, but it was funny, and I laughed and it was fun...so I give it a 6.5
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

the_antithesis

Whelp, the reviews of Lone Ranger are in and it looks like bad movies run in the family. (One internet to the first person to get that reference)

As such, I am now draw to go see it since I have a day off anyway and it's got that kind of train wreck magnetism. Although, I'm not sure if it's really as hilariously bad as, say, Exorcist II: the Heretic.

I can't help but wonder if this movie would have been better with Depp in the lead as the Ranger and an actual Native American actor as Tonto who was not dressed like a gay burlesque performer. I don't know if that would have worked, even with a different, better script after watching Depp play serious in the awful and forgettable Public Enemy. When doing serious roles, Depp turn into wood. Lebanese poplar, if I know my lumber. He just kind of stares into the middle distance because he's used to ooze charisma by just standing there chewing gum (see the TV show 21 Jumpstreet). Well, he's getting old and can't coast on his youthful good looks anymore. Too bad that's what his skill set relies upon. Yet he still makes money and there are people who actually think he's a good actor. I'm reminded of the piano player Ernie in Catcher In the Rye.

QuoteI'm not too sure what the name of the song was that he was playing when I came in, but whatever it was, he was really stinking it up. He was putting all these dumb, show-offy ripples in the high notes, and a lot of other very tricky stuff that gives me a pain in the ass. You should've heard the crowd, though, when he was finished. You would've puked. They went mad. They were exactly the same morons that laugh like hyenas in the movies at stuff that isn't funny. I swear to God, if I were a piano player or an actor or something and all those dopes thought I was terrific, I'd hate it. I wouldn't even want them to clap for me. People always clap for the wrong things. If I were a piano player, I'd play it in the goddam closet. Anyway, when he was finished, and everybody was clapping their heads off, old Ernie turned around on his stool and gave this very phony, humble bow. Like as if he was a helluva humble guy, besides being a terrific piano player. It was very phony--I mean him being such a big snob and all. In a funny way, though, I felt sort of sorry for him when he was finished. I don't even think he knows any more when he's playing right or not. It isn't all his fault. I partly blame all those dopes that clap their heads off--they'd foul up anybody, if you gave them a chance.
He doesn't know he's terrible because people keep telling him he's good. This is part of the reason why I don't make Youtube videos reviewing thirty year old video games. That and I'm pretty sure my voice is the brown noise.

So, yeah. Depp is terrible. Can't speak for Arm & Hammer Baking Soda. He might be a decent enough actor whose career will not recover from this. But these Disney action-adventure movies have been grating on me for a while now. I really hate Pirates. I hated Depp in that movie. I was expecting a swashbuckler and I got the foppish town drunk. The first sequel was better because it built on small things hinted at in the previous movie. But overall, they're just cynical crowd pleasers. They offer nothing deep or interesting, but they get asses in seats. That's all they really need to do, I suppose. Maybe turning Capt. Sparrow into a effeminate drunk was part of the plan, to not give us what we were expecting. To turn the genre on it's head. So they turned the Lone Ranger into a bumbling buffoon because they had already done the gay town drunk and made Tonto the real brains of the outfit. What next? Sherlock Holmes?

Oh, wait.

[youtube:1w58axjy]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqCchr9KTMk[/youtube:1w58axjy]

Difference is, this movie is actually enjoyable.

Shiranu

I hear it is an extremely random movie that, at one second is a family movie... the next a guy is having his heart ripped out and eaten infront of him. I think that might be part of the reason it has taken a hit from critics, because alot of people went in thinking it was just a normal family movie.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

the_antithesis

Quote from: "Shiranu"I hear it is an extremely random movie that, at one second is a family movie... the next a guy is having his heart ripped out and eaten infront of him. I think that might be part of the reason it has taken a hit from critics, because alot of people went in thinking it was just a normal family movie.

Yeah. They added some Wendigo stuff, apparently. (still hemming and hawing about seeing it. Maybe later) It does seem a bit much. Certainly out of the tone of PotC which this is no doubt trying to hit the same notes. Although PotC did have undead and some stuff that was probably a bit much for kids. Maybe cannibalism is not the same as undead rotting corpses. Maybe you can gloss over implied rape with trays of cakes, too.