News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "the_antithesis"In fact, every movie I've seen in Real 3D appears to be compromised in some way, at least to my eye.

Well, that's because all 3D stuff is flattened a bit in post. They don't want you to know that, but the illusion of depth is reduced. Know how something like 20% of the population experiences discomfort or worse from viewing 3D? If they didn't do this, everyone would have that problem and they'd have no customers. So they reduce the illusion of depth and most people can tolerate it.

SGOS

Quote from: "GalacticBusDriver"The 3D movies from the 50's were all done post processing. It wasn't until the early 80's that they came up with a method of splitting the image using mirrors to simulate dual lenses. Late in the 90's the first dual lens cameras were produced. The cameras today are far more than just dual lenses. Each lens can swivel and focus independently, mimicking very closely the way stereoscopic vision works. Add to that the huge variety of things that can be done during post-processing and you can get some insanely good  and very realistic effects.
Dual lens 35mm cameras were available through the Montgomery Ward Catalog in the late 50s or early 60s.  They produced pictures that were viewed with a personal viewer mostly, but I understand projectors and polarized glasses were also available, but didn't work very well.  Antique 3D stereoscopic pictures were around before that.  A photographer told me they were taken with double lenses.  But I would be interested in reading your sources.

SGOS

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "the_antithesis"In fact, every movie I've seen in Real 3D appears to be compromised in some way, at least to my eye.

Well, that's because all 3D stuff is flattened a bit in post. They don't want you to know that, but the illusion of depth is reduced. Know how something like 20% of the population experiences discomfort or worse from viewing 3D? If they didn't do this, everyone would have that problem and they'd have no customers. So they reduce the illusion of depth and most people can tolerate it.
Yeah.  Sometimes I feel like I have to use my imagination to convince myself the movie is really in 3D.  That's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much.  I don't remember experiencing that with Avatar, where some scenes like flying around the floating mountains took my breath away.  I'd love to see that again in 3D to see if it still leaves that impression.

caseagainstfaith

If anyone interested, DarkAntics, (aka DarkMatter2525) notes the Christian overtones of the story. He says he isn't opposed to using Christian imagery, he likes Narnia for example. But, he found it excessively overhanded.  And even has anti-evolution messages in it.

[youtube:100701kh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8633E-bJjww[/youtube:100701kh]

[youtube:100701kh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceTAd1EuCJg[/youtube:100701kh]
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

the_antithesis

Yeah. The previous Superman series were kind of heavy with the jesus symbolism

"...I have sent them you, my only son."
~ Marlon Brando as Jor-El

I actually noticed the heavy-handed message in that fucking Superman movie, too. They don't just have a christian message. There's also something about depleting our natural resources, as the Kryptonians had tapped the planet's core because all other energy sources had been depleted. Also kind of a pro space exploration footnote as part of the reason Krypton was doomed is they abandoned their space colonies once the eugenics took over. Probably could have found more power sources in fucking space.

Anyway, I probably could have done without the messianic crap because it had been done before. One thing I didn't mind was an off-handed thing Pa Kent said that indicated he was a christian. He's a farmer in Kansas. It's just playing the odds. They didn't beat us over the head with the fact, and I appreciated it. But it makes sense that he would be, and likely would have raised his son to believe in jesus.

I concur, though. It makes the common mistake of equating evolution with eugenics. That's fucking stupid. They are two different things. Like evolution takes away our ability to choose or something. Morons.

I think this is the "depth" to the story, but it's the kind of depth that is teaspoon shallow but the idiotic masses will be impressed by it just the same. It's like how I found The Stand to be boring and dumb, but a lot of people seemed to like it for that stupidity. Not despite the stupidity but because of it because they don't think the stupidity is stupid.

SGOS

Quote from: "missingnocchi"Man of Steel was awful. There were more holes than there was plot, the exposition was dull, and the only decent characters were Lois Lane and General Zod. It had fun parts, but they were few and far in between, and I'd rather just re-watch Iron Man if I want a fun movie.

A few questions that ran through my mind watching this movie:
[spoil:20h1pk3q]Why does Zod want Lois Lane on the ship? Why is John Kent such a pussy? How come Kryptonian atmosphere fucks up Superman but Earth atmosphere doesn't affect Zod? Why do all these Kryptonians instantly have superman powers without exposure to the sun or breathing Earth's air? How does this scientist know that two colliding Phantom Drives will cause a black hole when he literally first heard about the Phantom Drive two seconds ago? Why do they still need to use the Phantom Drive collision after Superman fucks shit up and stops the World Machine? Why does Zod want Lois Lane on the ship? Why does Zod want Lois Lane on the ship? WHY DOES ZOD WANT LOIS LANE ON THE SHIP?[/spoil:20h1pk3q]
According to Rotten Tomatoes, Man of Steel currently has the biggest box office earnings, but gets only 56% from movie goers.  I guess people are going, because, well, it's Superman, but in general, they aren't liking it that much.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: "SGOS"According to Rotten Tomatoes, Man of Steel currently has the biggest box office earnings, but gets only 56% from movie goers.  I guess people are going, because, well, it's Superman, but in general, they aren't liking it that much.

No, that 56% is percent of reviewers that liked it, not the public movie goes.  MoS has a grade A on Cinamscore, if I recall correctly.

Edit:  Correction, A- on Cinamascore.  Thus moviegoes are generally happy.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

SGOS

Quote from: "caseagainstfaith"
Quote from: "SGOS"According to Rotten Tomatoes, Man of Steel currently has the biggest box office earnings, but gets only 56% from movie goers.  I guess people are going, because, well, it's Superman, but in general, they aren't liking it that much.

No, that 56% is percent of reviewers that liked it, not the public movie goes.  MoS has a grade A on Cinamscore, if I recall correctly.

Edit:  Correction, A- on Cinamascore.  Thus moviegoes are generally happy.
Thanks.  I think I need a new source for deciding on which movies to see.

the_antithesis

The audience rating on that fucking Superman movie is 82%.

SGOS

Man of Steel - I loved this movie, every minute of it, right down to the cheesy lines delivered with melodramatic overkill.  I laughed a lot and left the theater smiling.  Not much plot here and no deep meaning.  Some of the fight scenes were astonishingly destructive and made combat in the Transformers seem like some 4 year old playing with his action figure set.  These characters really duke it out leaving cities in devastating post apocalyptic ruins, which has been pointed out earlier in this thread as "setting a new bar" for superhero movies.  I'm cautious about ever giving a movie a "10" because that's like saying it was a perfect movie, and I'm not a big fan of shaky cam filming, so I can take something off there.  I'll just say it was way better than 9.  :-D

Notthesun

World War Z - It was fun and suspenseful. Honestly, humans are idiots.

Grade: B-
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

Aroura33

I realy want to see WWZ, I even got the book recently and read it, just to compare.
I also want to see Man of Steel and make my own judgements, but the reviews here have given me very mixed feelings, and I think I will wait to see it now, instead of dishing out dough to see it in theaters.

Saw Craigslist Joe on Netflix last night.  4/10.  Really dull.  Plot: Guy decides to see if he can travel the US for free using only Craigslist.  Has very few interesting things happen to him along the way.  Only plus was seeing the artsy/hippie culture thriving and still paying it forward.  The movie itself almost put me to sleep, though.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

SGOS

The TV series "24" is good.  Never heard about it before, but I'm picking it up on Amazon Prime.  I've just finished an engrossing 1st season, comprised of 24 episodes, each devoted to 1 hour of real time in a 24 hour day.  You wouldn't think they could make that format work, but I've been on the edge of my seat for the last week.  The tension for the first half of the season was almost unbearable.  I was actually relieved when things slowed down a bit midway.  There are flaws here and there, but forgivable.  It got a bit melodramatic at the very end.  It's a good way to get glued to the TV screen.  I'm not going to start Season Two right away.  I'm going to give my heart a rest and watch a couple of romantic comedies I got from Red Box next.

_Xenu_

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Notthesun

Xenu - Yes. I posted my grade above.

@Aroura33 OMFG, NO! You need to see Man of Steel in theaters. The spectacular action scenes alone are worth the price of the ticket.
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.