Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I really liked Spider-Man Far From Home.  Solid 9/10.  Good humor, good action, good character development, good [redacted], good all around.

Better than Homecoming, and I rate that movie highly.

The lackluster trailer had me fooled into thinking this was a very generic, very predictable movie.  It wasn't.

I'd say more but it seems people sometimes peek into the spoiler tags when they shouldn't.  I'll give everyone a week to see this movie, then I'm cracking it open.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-7ZPfp04jA

The little mermaid is based off a story by hans christian andersen, where he describes the character as being of Nordic appearance.
I have to wonder if the twisted logic of claiming people are racist for not accepting black aerial, an established character, as another race, would hold up if they had cast a bunch of white people in the live action Aladdin?

What I find funny is thinking how someone could have made a joke about this back in the early 2000s about race swapping characters for muh diversity, because it would have been thought of as such a ridiculous concept no one would seriously do.
I guess we do live in clown world.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Then they came for the little mermaids, and I did nothing...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 06, 2019, 07:02:16 AM
Then they came for the little mermaids, and I did nothing...

Sound fishy to me ;-)

It is up to the customer if they want to put up with this race pandering or not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on July 06, 2019, 07:49:20 AM
Sound fishy to me ;-)

It is up to the customer if they want to put up with this race pandering or not.
Or with racism.
PZ Myers

Munch

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on July 06, 2019, 08:29:32 AM
And it is racist, against red heads
Well, gingers are insane, so that's okay. Gingers with PMS are even worse.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

The Little Mermaid may be based on a Danish tale, but otherwise it is pretty clearly a predominately Caribbean tale (the original movie) with a strong bit of Mediterranean and a small bit of Baltic influences. And if you are upset that it isn't following Andersen's story by making her black... boy, have I got some news to you about the plot that will really blow a gasket. The Disney version is almost nothing like the original tale.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

drunkenshoe

Quote from: aitm on June 04, 2019, 04:30:33 PM
I have learned so much from this place. Never knew what a brony was, or a furry, knew one person that was unusually fascinated with Stewie even quote him regularly....a real nut job. And I guess I should have realized that some find enjoyment in knowing all about a movie franchise...but zilla? I have seen maybe 2 zilla's and never thought much about it ceptin, meh. I have never cared enough to look for allegories or hidden meanings in movies.....especially meh ones....(insert Freud quote here)......

you should know the one.

*SLAP!

What I have done, is just an allegory. It has hidden, high meanings in arts and human emotion related to real life. I'm an art historian in German sense, trust me. *giggles.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

The latest Mermaid. She is hot, she is beautiful. She is going to sell. She is going to make a lot of money. That's the whole point. Like the last batwoman. Anyone looking for ideology in that is naive, politely put. But honestly just a fucking moron in the real world. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 06, 2019, 02:25:07 PM
The Little Mermaid may be based on a Danish tale, but otherwise it is pretty clearly a predominately Caribbean tale (the original movie) with a strong bit of Mediterranean and a small bit of Baltic influences. And if you are upset that it isn't following Andersen's story by making her black... boy, have I got some news to you about the plot that will really blow a gasket. The Disney version is almost nothing like the original tale.

I think anyone with fingers knows the original tale and the sea foam ending.
Pray tell, would your reaction to a white version of tiana from princess and the frog be as care free? Because you do know the whole excuses of 'she's a talented actress' is all fluff right? Thats not why they picked her.

drunkenshoe

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 06, 2019, 03:01:25 PM
I think anyone with fingers knows the original tale and the sea foam ending.
Pray tell, would your reaction to a white version of tiana from princess and the frog be as care free? Because you do know the whole excuses of 'she's a talented actress' is all fluff right? Thats not why they picked her.

Dude, 99% of characters in media are white. Even when it makes more sense to cast a minority in a role, such as in a movie about the goddamn Great Wall of China, they casts white actors anyway. It's ironic how much this kind of thing upsets you, given how much you rant about "outrage culture."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 06, 2019, 03:34:03 PM
Dude, 99% of characters in media are white. Even when it makes more sense to cast a minority in a role, such as in a movie about the goddamn Great Wall of China, they casts white actors anyway. It's ironic how much this kind of thing upsets you, given how much you rant about "outrage culture."

So basically, instead of new characters being invented, your okay with hand me down roles and black washing white characters?

Don't you think it be better having new characters of none white origin, instead of race changing?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JRmnbtSs1fw

Here's a guy who knows what he's talking about.