Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 17, 2020, 01:08:18 PM
What is Umbrella Corp's goal, anyway?

1. Create deadly virus.

2. Infect entire globe with the virus.

3. Everybody dies.

4. ???
Make money?  But they were already making it hand-over-fist anyway, so it strikes me that they might've had a vested interest in maintaining the status quo - a status quo where they're wealthy and powerful.  In fact, a lot of Umbrella's brass and rank-and-file seem to share a desire to contain infection and return to a pre-infection world.

But others are really into eugenics.  I'm not sure if it was planned or they just took advantage of the incident, but they want to use the incident to reform the world - one in which genetically-altered post-humans dominate and Umbrella is no longer a corporation, but a ruling class (as far fetched as a corporation ruling over others sounds)

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on April 17, 2020, 02:43:39 PM
Who knows. Why do we develop and test biological weapons in the real world, knowing if they are used or even spread outside of the lab they can completely destroy humanity?
That's a good point.  It's amazing what people will do irl, and not necessarily out of an evil intent.  Hell, there was a story a few years back of misplaced smallpox samples stored in cardboard boxes (not ideal containment) and a previous story of other smallpox samples stored in some freezer.  It wouldn't take much to have an irl Raccoon City incident, as I'm sure we're all acutely aware.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 17, 2020, 05:20:45 PM
Make money?  But they were already making it hand-over-fist anyway, so it strikes me that they might've had a vested interest in maintaining the status quo - a status quo where they're wealthy and powerful.  In fact, a lot of Umbrella's brass and rank-and-file seem to share a desire to contain infection and return to a pre-infection world.

But others are really into eugenics.  I'm not sure if it was planned or they just took advantage of the incident, but they want to use the incident to reform the world - one in which genetically-altered post-humans dominate and Umbrella is no longer a corporation, but a ruling class (as far fetched as a corporation ruling over others sounds)

Rothschild family business  cough ... cough
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 17, 2020, 05:27:58 PM
That's a good point.  It's amazing what people will do irl, and not necessarily out of an evil intent.  Hell, there was a story a few years back of misplaced smallpox samples stored in cardboard boxes (not ideal containment) and a previous story of other smallpox samples stored in some freezer.  It wouldn't take much to have an irl Raccoon City incident, as I'm sure we're all acutely aware.

Or Chinese scientists taking virus samples back and forth over the US border without declaring them?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Today I rewatched Resident Evil Afterlife.  This is the point where the series really jumped the shark and put spectacle over substance.  Paper-thin story, characters that I honestly would struggle to describe if my life depended on it, and just really schlocky, dumb action scenes.

But if you turn your brain off and just want some amusement, it's a surprisingly good bad movie.  This movie runs off the rule of cool, and that's okay sometimes.  I found the sheer illogical nature of some scenes amusing rather than irritating.

My favorite part was the gang needing to get to a weapons locker two stories underwater.  The solution?  Pump the water out, right?  Nah, jump right in!  Besides drowning and being eaten (not necessarily in that order), what's the worst that can happen?!  Spoiler: someone dies.

That movie has a killer soundtrack, though.  It's like if you took a K-Mart version of Frank Klepacki, kept him in captivity and fed him only cornflakes and meth, this is what he'd come up with.  The rest is primo A Perfect Circle.

Gawdzilla Sama

Given that the locker was below the water table it would have taken some robust pumping, I think.

But seriously, movies made from video games have less need to be "realistic" than even comic book movies IMNSHO.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 18, 2020, 06:10:14 AM
Given that the locker was below the water table it would have taken some robust pumping, I think.
The locker (and the section of the building directly above it) is bone dry, despite both stories also being said to be underwater, so I'm not sure at all where the water table is in this scenario, lol.

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 18, 2020, 06:10:14 AMBut seriously, movies made from video games have less need to be "realistic" than even comic book movies IMNSHO.
Imho, they should at the very least be internally consistent.  That's bare minimum.

And barring some fantastic element flipping the script, should operate on real-world logic (water flows downhill, not uphill)

There's a lot I'm willing to accept on the basis of the rule of cool, but the more mundane aspects should be grounded and believable.

A spaceship traveling faster than light = believable
A spaceship traveling in all points in space simultaneously, the pilots "evolving" into salamanders, doing the deed and laying eggs on some alien world = not believable

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 18, 2020, 09:18:17 AM
The locker (and the section of the building directly above it) is bone dry, despite both stories also being said to be underwater, so I'm not sure at all where the water table is in this scenario, lol.
The water is leaking in between them and the locker, so it's below the water table at that particular point.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 18, 2020, 09:30:46 AM
Imho, they should at the very least be internally consistent.  That's bare minimum.
They won't. Get used to it. In fact twenty years or more of get used to it.
PZ Myers

Hydra009

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 18, 2020, 09:30:46 AM
A spaceship traveling in all points in space simultaneously, the pilots "evolving" into salamanders, doing the deed and laying eggs on some alien world = not believable
Or, an Infinite Improbability Drive.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on April 18, 2020, 11:16:41 PM
Or, an Infinite Improbability Drive.  :D

Or the least liked episode of Star Trek Voyager.  Lt Paris got to make out with Capt Janeway ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Resident Evil Retribution has the most baffling intro:

* A huge action setpiece on slowmo and playing backwards from the end
* then an exposition dump
* then that same action setpiece at normal speed playing forwards from the beginning

I will never understand that choice.  Like, imagine if I filmed myself eating a sandwich on slowmo playing backwards from the end, then I show you the exact same footage played forwards from the beginning.  You're effectively watching the exact same scene twice - confused the first time, bored the second time.

You know what would be better than that?  Literally anything.  You could show the scene from another pov, you could show the scene with minor (or major) variation, etc.  Anything else would be fine.