why does the usa hate fidel

Started by Jannabear, December 28, 2016, 06:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 29, 2016, 07:41:33 AM
Your random word generator needs rebooted.

Your reading dyslexia is like the Turing Test .. not ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on December 29, 2016, 12:52:52 PM
Your reading dyslexia is like the Turing Test .. not ;-)
Yeah, you're not ready for that test.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 28, 2016, 11:00:43 PM
Yeah, we were supposed to go to war with France to allow IndoChina to go free?

No, but we could have condemned their actions rather than encourage it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on December 29, 2016, 04:53:16 PM
No, but we could have condemned their actions rather than encourage it.
Yeah, that's always been very useful.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Indeed it has. Also would have kept us out of Vietnam, which would be alright.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on December 29, 2016, 05:19:13 PM
Indeed it has. Also would have kept us out of Vietnam, which would be alright.
PZ Myers

Baruch

I don't know how my older brother felt about it, or my older cousin ... but I don't think the Vietnam war did them any favors.

That patch is pure Stormfront ... basically the same as a German claiming in 1920 ... that the Protocols of the Elders of Zion cost the German Empire WW I ... and not the stupid Kaiser.  In the case of the US, it was the stupid LBJ ... not the student demonstrations.

I am sure you can build an time machine (historians love those) and go back and refight the Vietnam war ... but I won't be going, thanks.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 29, 2016, 06:10:09 PM

Hardly. Militarily? Sure... we were beating the Vietcong. But on a political scale (the reason we even have wars) we were losing; Vietnam was tearing our society apart, it was damaging our international reputation and it was something that could have both been avoided by not supporting French interests over our own and also by being an invader of North Vietnam instead of being the protector of South Vietnam. Victory is more than just beating the other guy.

To quote Ho Chi Minh... "Everything depends on the Americans. If they want to make war for 20 years then we shall make war for 20 years. If they want to make peace, we shall make peace and invite them to tea afterwards."

The North Vietnamese asked for our help to unify Vietnam after the French colonized them... left during WW2 and allowed Japan to commit horrible atrocities against the Vietnamese people... then came back and claimed Indochina still belonged to them... and we told them to go fuck themselves. They turned the Communists... wanted a peaceful resolution to the war... and again we told them to go fuck themselves.

I'm sorry... but fighting to protect a French colony, no matter how many "enemies" we managed to kill, cannot be considered a victory. We were fighting to maintain oppression. There is no victory in that. Do you think Vietnam would have been better off as a vassal to the United States and France rather than it's own independent country (which coincidently boasts one of the fastest growing economies in the world )?

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Shiranu on December 29, 2016, 09:52:02 PM
Hardly. Militarily? Sure... we were beating the Vietcong. But on a political scale (the reason we even have wars) we were losing; Vietnam was tearing our society apart, it was damaging our international reputation and it was something that could have both been avoided by not supporting French interests over our own and also by being an invader of North Vietnam instead of being the protector of South Vietnam. Victory is more than just beating the other guy.

To quote Ho Chi Minh... "Everything depends on the Americans. If they want to make war for 20 years then we shall make war for 20 years. If they want to make peace, we shall make peace and invite them to tea afterwards."

The North Vietnamese asked for our help to unify Vietnam after the French colonized them... left during WW2 and allowed Japan to commit horrible atrocities against the Vietnamese people... then came back and claimed Indochina still belonged to them... and we told them to go fuck themselves. They turned the Communists... wanted a peaceful resolution to the war... and again we told them to go fuck themselves.

I'm sorry... but fighting to protect a French colony, no matter how many "enemies" we managed to kill, cannot be considered a victory. We were fighting to maintain oppression. There is no victory in that.
The only winners of the Vietnam war in this country were the corporations.  And the politicians they supported.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 29, 2016, 09:54:58 PM
The only winners of the Vietnam war in this country were the corporations.  And the politicians they supported.

I was asked by my mom, after the war was lost in 75 ... what it was all about.  I told her about weapons testing and military doctrine testing, on live human beings.  She was horrified.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Baruch on December 29, 2016, 09:57:13 PM
I was asked by my mom, after the war was lost in 75 ... what it was all about.  I told her about weapons testing and military doctrine testing, on live human beings.  She was horrified.
So many ...
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 30, 2016, 12:31:34 AM
So many ...

The WW II generation believed the WW II propaganda (and a good thing they did).  But after WW II, the government was addicted to war, but not to property destruction ... so the need for the Cold War.  And weapons and fighting doctrine should be tested.  Immorality is a practical necessity, but the reality of that undermines the propaganda.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

And, on the other end of the spectrum are those who don't believe it's actually sunny outside. The government could be faking a sun to confuse us.

Especially during Daylight Savings Time. ;)
PZ Myers

SGOS

World War II was a heady affair, well by the Allies, anyway, but ever since then, wars deadly and savage as they might be, haven't accomplished much.  But in spite of all the wars that have been fought but not won since then, the US seems to be living as though we are still the nation that wins the fights we pick.  We go into them with flags flying and yelling, "Remember WWII!"

But for the last 60 years, every attempt to recapture the old vim, vigor, and days of glory  turns out to be a humiliating disgrace.  It must be the fault of the young, starting with the lily livered young of my youth.  We just don't have enough respect for our leaders.  We let them down, and they have turned against us and now devote their time to feathering their pockets at a corporate buffet.