News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Impeach Trump????

Started by fencerider, September 30, 2017, 11:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 05, 2018, 08:55:47 AM
DO not count your chickens before they hatch.  With every fiber of my being, I wish a democratic sweep in the coming election.  But my reasoning tells me it just isn't going to happen.  As a country, this election will be the final nails into the coffin.

Since 2016 ... I can emote that the end of the US is a good thing.  Not knowledge, not belief.  And with every fiber of my being.  Like wishing an asteroid had struck Germany or the USSR in the 1930s.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on October 05, 2018, 10:45:04 AM
So accusing him of being a serial rapist, an alcoholic and a child molester was just a deception?

Every human is evil.  Doesn't matter what the specifics are.  Both sides virtue signal ... but forget about "our father in Hell, damned be his name".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 05, 2018, 10:58:57 AM
It is a tactic to prevent him from being appointed to the Supreme Court. Do I think Dr. Ford is lying? No. The Democrats were looking for anything to block Kavanaugh's appointment and they are using Dr. Ford as a means to an end. The Republicans would have done the exact same thing. Trump is countering by reframing Kavanaugh as the victim. Both sides know how important this appointment and the midterm elections are and both sides are taking off the gloves.

Congress should be more Turkish ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi96f4v5iC0

But the Turks forgot to bring guns to a food fight.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: pr126 on October 05, 2018, 11:09:28 AM
The law "innocent until proven guilty" is not for everyone.  There are exceptions.

All it needs is to burn a cross on his front lawn before lynching him.
Just like in the good old days.

Dems don't do that anymore, the Repubs do now.  Dems prefer to send you to their Gulag.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: pr126 on October 05, 2018, 11:09:28 AM
The law "innocent until proven guilty" is not for everyone.  There are exceptions.

All it needs is to burn a cross on his front lawn before lynching him.
Just like in the good old days.

In many people's mind, the consequences go beyond Kavanaugh's guilt or innocence. The seriousness can't be overstated.

Liberal argument: If Kavanaugh is truly innocent, slandering an innocent man who will continue to be a federal judge is morally preferable to millions of women losing their reproductive rights.

Conservative argument: If Kavanaugh is truly guilty, appointing a man who sexually assaulted a woman in his youth is morally preferable to the continued slaughter of millions of unborn babies.

Baruch

Yes, this is why we will have Civil War, if it is as stereotyped as you said.  I hope not.  In that stereotype there is a lot more evil to do than just extending or ending the right to terminate a pregnancy.  The Handmaid's Tale anyone?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 05, 2018, 10:28:36 AM
No, he's guilty of not being pro-choice. If the Democrats had nominated Kavanaugh and he was pro-choice, and Dr. Ford went to the Republicans, the Republicans would be using the same tactic to prevent him from being appointed. When it comes to the Supreme Court, abortion is the number one thing liberals and conservatives care about. Ending legal abortion, after all, is what Trump promised in 2016: that Roe would be “automatically” be overturned should he be elected.

The Republicans don't really care about abortion or any other social issue, they only use those as hot-button items to fire up their base. They only really care about financial issues, which most people, especially their base don't even understand.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Unbeliever

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 05, 2018, 11:38:46 AM
Yeah--the question is asked--how much money do you have?  That decides it.
No, I think the question is: how much money can you make for us?
God Not Found

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 05, 2018, 01:18:37 PM
The Republicans don't really care about abortion or any other social issue, they only use those as hot-button items to fire up their base.
I sometimes think that, but then I note that their base today becomes their leadership tomorrow (a phenomenon that rank-and-file democrats are envious of), so I think they sincerely do care about this issue.

For starters, its antagonizes their religious sensibilities and their related preoccupation with policing sexual morality.  (see homosexuality, birth control, HPV vaccine, etc)

Secondly, it conflicts with their concept of the traditional role of women as keepers of home and hearth foremost.

Thirdly, it's one of those complex, morally-ambiguous things that stupid people can't really grock - characterizing it as simple infanticide is much easier for them to grasp.  Thus, there will always be a subgroup who finds it positively abhorrent, which the Republicans gleefully cater towards and who in turn become Republicans.

Unbeliever

You may be right, it's impossible to put my head in their space and see the world as they see it.
God Not Found

Hydra009

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 05, 2018, 02:05:30 PM
You may be right, it's impossible to put my head in their space and see the world as they see it.
Imagine someone who's kind of lost in the modern world, fears the future, and longs for an idealized past.

Also, someone who gets their news from Hannity and Alex Jones.  Fear and disinformation are the two major motivating factors, here.

Unbeliever

Necrocephalic? I can picture that...
God Not Found

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 05, 2018, 01:18:37 PM
The Republicans don't really care about abortion or any other social issue, they only use those as hot-button items to fire up their base. They only really care about financial issues, which most people, especially their base don't even understand.

It is possible to understand finance.  But not if you believe in a free lunch, or benefits without work.  Those two are why people don't understand finance.  Nobody can make you understand something, when it is in your short term interest, to not understand it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on October 05, 2018, 02:05:30 PM

That is why you fail (see chess strategy).  And why they fail for the same reason.  If you can't anticipate their next move, then it is unclear what your present move should be.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

QuoteThe law "innocent until proven guilty" is not for everyone. 

1. I am not the judge, nor the jury, in this case. Innocent until proven guilty is stating the rules for a court, not what a private citizen is forced to think.

2. Kavanaugh is not appearing before a judge nor jury. This was simply a hearing and had no legal implications, so innocent until proven guilty is not even relevant in this case.

3. Do you believe O.J. Simpson is innocent simply because he was proven innocent? Was Carl DeLuna guilty and deserved to be executed even though the officer admits he lied about the evidence and someone else has repeatedly stated that he was the one who actually did it?

The law is not by nature what is right, nor is it what is wrong.

4. To go back to 1 and 2, this is a job interview... tell me a single other job where if you were being accused of sexual assault, rightfully or wrongfully, your employer wouldn't care.

QuoteAll it needs is to burn a cross on his front lawn before lynching him.

Cut the drama, all people are saying is that there are better choices for the Supreme Court, even ones that share his hateful ideology but at least don't have credible evidence that they attempted to rape someone against them.

It's not like this "case", if you even want to call it that given it has no legal ramifications, is determining if he should be executed, or even lose his normal job or... well, anything, really.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur