News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

The Suckiest Things About Religion

Started by stromboli, January 28, 2014, 05:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish

So you are an expert in all sexual acts among non gay people?  Been there done that too or what?
Irish.[/quote]

There is such a thing as "research". It shows that straight people have more anal sex than gay ones, that practically no sex is for purposes of reproduction, and that every act you might deem problematic by gay people is also done by straight people.

I realise the research scares your pure little mind, but behind closed doors everyone has their fun. ;)
(And I have tried quite a few sexual acts, yeah. They're fun :) You should try some, lighten up a bit, and stop judging other people for having some harmless fun.)[/quote]

I'm well aware that married people engage in anal sex as well.  The problem is they can also engage in procreative sex while two gay people cannot alone do so.  Procreative sex is necessary to populate and children are a blessing from God.
Irish.

Poison Tree

Quote from: "irish"That said,  also a theme on this board is the stance the Church  takes on gay marriage and GLBT issues. This doesn't apply to her because she is straight.
I'm straight, yet I still care about "gay marriage and GLBT issues". I'm also white, yet I care also about racial discrimination. It is called being a decent human being. Are you only concerned with your own personal welfare? Do you think so little of your sister that you think she doesn't care when others, besides herself, are discriminated against?

Quote from: "irish"Procreative sex is necessary to populate
Does the earth have a shortage of human population?
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

irish

Quote from: "Poison Tree"
Quote from: "irish"That said,  also a theme on this board is the stance the Church  takes on gay marriage and GLBT issues. This doesn't apply to her because she is straight.

I'm straight, yet I still care about "gay marriage and GLBT issues". I'm also white, yet I care also about racial discrimination. It is called being a decent human being. Are you only concerned with your own personal welfare? Do you think so little of your sister that you think she doesn't care when others, besides herself, are discriminated against?

Irish: Of course I care about issues that effect human beings. That I disagree that gays should be married does not make me a " bad uncaring jerk."  As I said I am concerned with the personal welfare of children who  may have to grow up with two moms and two dads.  I think it's wrong.  My sister does not spend time posting on atheist sites and bitching about the suckiest things about religion.

Irish: You tell  me.

Poison Tree

Quote from: "irish"
Quote from: "Poison Tree"

Irish: Of course I care about issues that effect human beings. That I disagree that gays should be married does not make me a " bad uncaring jerk."  As I said I am concerned with the personal welfare of children who  may have to grow up with two moms and two dads.  I think it's wrong.  My sister does not spend time posting on atheist sites and bitching about the suckiest things about religion.

Irish: You tell  me.
Yes, yes and no.
Odd request
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

sunnyK

Quote from: "sunnyK"Just out of curiosity, seeing as how you are an acclaimed christian, why to you peruse a site called Atheist Forums? If you are not trying to convert us to Christianity. I learned when i was in my early 20's not to go into the church on sunday morning and tell people i am am atheist. You are more than welcome here though. Once again, just curious.

I also don't go to christian mingle dot com and look for a date. hede he he he.

I am here  because my sister is an atheist and I was hoping to gain some deeper insight into why various people are atheists.
I've heard the "routine reasons" but here I am seeing that there is a lot of discussion about religion and why it sucks such as this thread which is interesting to me.  I would think you wouldn't waste your time on posting about religion.

That said,  also a theme on this board is the stance the Church  takes on gay marriage and GLBT issues. This doesn't apply to her because she is straight.

That's why I am here.

I am not trying to hurt you but the biggest factor in a lot of peoples atheism is other family members that go way overboard with religion. For me it was my father, others it may be parents, siblings, even friends. It is surprisingly common to see atheists near religious extremists. Once again I am not aiming to hurt, this is something that i have truly witnessed time and time again in the atheist community.
Irish

Insult to Rocks

Suckiest thing about religion: their utter unwillingness to admit that they are wrong.
Unless you're the pope, in which you just change policies and act like nothing bad ever happened.
"We must respect the other fellow\'s religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."
-- H. L. Mencken

Plu

Quote from: "irish"So you are an expert in all sexual acts among non gay people?  Been there done that too or what?
Irish.

There is such a thing as "research". It shows that straight people have more anal sex than gay ones, that practically no sex is for purposes of reproduction, and that every act you might deem problematic by gay people is also done by straight people.

I realise the research scares your pure little mind, but behind closed doors everyone has their fun. ;)
(And I have tried quite a few sexual acts, yeah. They're fun :) You should try some, lighten up a bit, and stop judging other people for having some harmless fun.)

I'm well aware that married people engage in anal sex as well.  The problem is they can also engage in procreative sex while two gay people cannot alone do so.  Procreative sex is necessary to populate and children are a blessing from God.
Irish.

Gay people can (and do) also engage in procreative sex, all they need is an external party. No different from all the infertile couples nobody effort makes a peep about. But then the fear of homosexuals isn't rational, it's just your church giving you people to hate and discriminate so that you don't look to closely at them.
The last thing the church wants is for you to actually talk with different people and find out that all the church is spreading is hatred of those different, because that might lead you to stop giving them money.

Plu

QuoteI've heard the "routine reasons" but here I am seeing that there is a lot of discussion about religion and why it sucks such as this thread which is interesting to me. I would think you wouldn't waste your time on posting about religion.

This also warrants a post. Just because we don't believe in religion doesn't mean we don't believe in the damage religion (and irrational thinking in general) causes to society. That damage is very real. Almost every religious person we get on these forums is proof of that.

(And all of it ultimately stems from unwillingness to apply evidence and re-evaluate positions. If we could fix those two problems in people, then all problems would be gone. But religion of course fights tooth and nail to stop that from happening as well.)

PickelledEggs

Hey irish, aren't you bothered that the ancient greeks wrote a better and more thought out version of the beginning of everything than the christians? Surely that is proof that the greek gods are the ones we should believe in.

irish

Quote from: "sunnyK"
Quote from: "sunnyK"Just out of curiosity, seeing as how you are an acclaimed christian, why to you peruse a site called Atheist Forums? If you are not trying to convert us to Christianity. I learned when i was in my early 20's not to go into the church on sunday morning and tell people i am am atheist. You are more than welcome here though. Once again, just curious.

I also don't go to christian mingle dot com and look for a date. hede he he he.

I am here  because my sister is an atheist and I was hoping to gain some deeper insight into why various people are atheists.
I've heard the "routine reasons" but here I am seeing that there is a lot of discussion about religion and why it sucks such as this thread which is interesting to me.  I would think you wouldn't waste your time on posting about religion.

That said,  also a theme on this board is the stance the Church  takes on gay marriage and GLBT issues. This doesn't apply to her because she is straight.

That's why I am here.

I am not trying to hurt you but the biggest factor in a lot of peoples atheism is other family members that go way overboard with religion. For me it was my father, others it may be parents, siblings, even friends. It is surprisingly common to see atheists near religious extremists. Once again I am not aiming to hurt, this is something that i have truly witnessed time and time again in the atheist community.
Irish

What do you consider "extreme"  With some atheists the mention of God is enough to put them in a fits of There is NO God etc.

Damarcus

Quote from: "irish"What do you consider "extreme"  With some atheists the mention of God is enough to put them in a fits of There is NO God etc.
I have yet to meet these atheists who are so allergic to religion that they collapse on the floor screaming in agony when god is mentioned. I'm pretty sure they only exist in the nightmares (or wet dreams, more likely) of christian nutjobs.

anyway, if that's the most extreme an atheist ever gets I think we'll be fine. I'd rather the worst representatives of my group just be assholes rather than take the religious approach and kill people for not believing the same thing as them.
Quote from: \"Tony Harrison\""This is an outrage!"

Quote from: \"Plu\"When you can\'t wield logic, everything sounds like an insult.

irish

Quote from: "Damarcus"
Quote from: "irish"What do you consider "extreme"  With some atheists the mention of God is enough to put them in a fits of There is NO God etc.
I have yet to meet these atheists who are so allergic to religion that they collapse on the floor screaming in agony when god is mentioned. I'm pretty sure they only exist in the nightmares (or wet dreams, more likely) of christian nutjobs.

anyway, if that's the most extreme an atheist ever gets I think we'll be fine. I'd rather the worst representatives of my group just be assholes rather than take the religious approach and kill people for not believing the same thing as them.

Quit exaggerating.  I said you can't mention the word God without whining.  What God? There is NO God? Waah Waah waah.
That said you make a valid point.
Irish.
Christian nutjobs?  Atheists do cartwheels trying to prove there is no God.

Plu

Most atheists don't aim to prove there is no god, because that's a waste of time and can't be done anyway. Most atheists try to get theists to think critically, which is ridiculously hard. It sounds like "trying to prove there is no god" because theists have a preprogrammed response to anyone trying to make them think critically. A sort of safety measure installed by priests to make sure they stay relevant.

irish

Quote from: "Plu"Most atheists don't aim to prove there is no god, because that's a waste of time and can't be done anyway. Most atheists try to get theists to think critically, which is ridiculously hard. It sounds like "trying to prove there is no god" because theists have a preprogrammed response to anyone trying to make them think critically. A sort of safety measure installed by priests to make sure they stay relevant.

LOL!  That's a good one; Catholics have implants installed to make sure "they" (meaning priests? stay relevant.)  Actually it's incorrect what you say as the biggest denomination of Christians is X Catholics.  People leave all the time; it's just more join when they see the truth in the Faith so we have a billion members and grow yearly.

Many atheists that prided themselves on "critical thinking"  are now Christians.  Amazing how that works.

Jason78

Quote from: "irish"Many atheists that prided themselves on "critical thinking"  are now Christians.  Amazing how that works.

Not really.   We're all born atheist.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato